Trees: smoke bush instead of polyfiber or furnace filters

  • Edward Loechler
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2002
      Hi All:

      Smoke bush is a bush (duh!) that puts out hunderds of 6" diameter balls or
      tufts or puffs of fibrous material, which looks like--well--"smoke" at a
      distance. Each strand of the fibrous material is very thin but hardy, and
      the strands in a tuft are organized not unlike a tree with branch
      structure. In the fall the tufts turn brown and falls off and can be
      collected.

      You can put one tuft of a smoke bush on a skewer (or chop stick) and have a
      tree (see below). Or you can chop tufts up and use it to round out other
      kinds of armatures. It works like furnace filters or polyfiber, but it
      looks whispier and more natural. And it is faster to work with.

      Take a skewer and hit it with 3M contact spray, then dab on the smoke bush
      tufts. Keep spraying and dabbing, until you have the approaximate shape.
      After the spray contact cement dries, do final shaping with scissors. Then
      sprinkle on ground foam. This process takes less than a minute per tree.
      You can use smoke bush tufts to fill out any kind of tree.

      I know where there are smoke bushes in my area (Boston) and collect tufts
      in the late fall.

      Keep an eye out for it. Or buy a bush, they are really neat shrubs.

      Ed
    • wvrail
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2002
        Edward Loechler wrote:

        > Smoke bush is a bush (duh!) that puts out hunderds of 6" diameter
        balls or tufts or puffs of fibrous material, which looks
        like--well--"smoke" at a distance. Each strand of the fibrous
        material is very thin but hardy, and the strands in a tuft are
        organized not unlike a tree with branch structure. In the fall the
        tufts turn brown and falls off and can be collected.

        I've been a fan of smoke bush trees for a while. Here's a link to some
        images from my layout. Scan towards the bottom for the tree images.

        http://www.nmra.org/beginner/vandalia.html

        Most of the trees are of the smokebush variety. I only spray them with
        cheap green from a can, then sprinkle on a mixed green ground foam and
        plant on the layout.

        Eric Hansmann
        Morgantown, W. Va.
      • Stephen Stefko
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
          all i have is windows vista, and the pic rolled down the screen as it was loading.  took all but 5 seconds to load.  i have brighthouse for internet and it is alot faster than the dish i had earlier.................steve

        • Jim Robinson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
            I have a relatively old PC, on AT&T DSL, and had no problems. Pics loaded in a matter of seconds. I still appreciate the one who reduced them and reposted them.