Re: [HOn3] Automatic Uncouplers

  • kurt nielsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
      Kevin
      When I had daul Gauge I used the standard gauge under the track magnet.
      It took a little fiddling to get it work for both gauge. Kadee also make
      electric magnet that work when you push a button they get pricey when
      you need more then a couple.
      Kurt

      Kevin Kelley wrote:

      > Does anyone have any advice on under-track uncoupling systems (such as
      > Kadee) for use in dual gauge applications?
      >
      > KK
      >

      > HOn3 list web pages are:
      > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/

    • Norman Suydam
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
        Kevin,
        I had a dual gauge yard that I set up for various types of uncouplers and
        I'll give you experience with it. In a yard application permanate magnets
        work OK but there is always the possibility of uncoupling when you don't
        want it. I used then on stub tracks. On tracks where you have a lot of
        traffic such as a main, siding or the yard lead I suggest using
        electromagnets there as you don't want accidental uncoupling in these
        locations. This should help minimize this added cost to just a few
        locations.

        There are 2 permanent magnets, between the rails ( only NG will fit in a DG
        track ) and the under the ties. For the under tie magnet I used one made by
        Bachman. It costs less than Kadee and has a stronger magnetic field which
        helps move the knuckle sideways in the 'delayed-action' feature. I modified
        the electro magnets so you don't have to cut the ties in the track. I cut
        notches in the 2 metal plates so that it sticks up between the ties. This
        works great and I can position the uncoupler in locations normally off
        limits. I had one placed on the straight leg of a turnout just past the
        frog.

        As far as getting one uncoupler to actuate both NG and SG cars - - - forget
        it ! I did get it to work but it was very un reliable and most of the time
        it just shoved both cars couplers to one side not releasing either. If you
        place an under the track magnet on a slight skew you might get it to work
        but only if you approach it from the particular direction there you are on
        the centerline.

        Centering the magnets is the most crucial element in reliable operation. I
        used a trip pin to find the exact 'magnetic' center of the permanent
        magnets. I drew a line down the center and positioned this EXACTLY along
        the centerline of either the NG or SG track. What you will need is 2
        magnets, one for NG and one for SG. Position them close to each other. I
        tried an under the track magnet for the SG track and a between the rails
        magnet for the NG track. Test this yourself and see what works best for
        your needs.

        ----- Original Message ----- " Hackman