Lambert Goose

  • sharris
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
      Has anyone re-motored and re-geared a Lambert Goose? If so, any thoughts on how
      it was accomplished would be appreciated.

      I'd like to put Soundtrax/DCC in my #4, but the thing is so noisy it may not be
      worth the trouble.

      Thanks and Happy New Year,

      Steve Harris
      Valley Center, Ca.
    • Dennis Larson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
        I hope we get some good advice. I had a Lambert Goose but sold it (probably
        prematurely) because I couldn't figure how to isolate the motor for use with
        DCC.
        I still have a Flying Zoo #7 Goose. I think the same problem exists with it.
        Dennis
        Cape Coral

        Subject: [HOn3] Lambert Goose

        > Has anyone re-motored and re-geared a Lambert Goose? If so, any thoughts
        on how
        > it was accomplished would be appreciated.

      • rick c shoup
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
          Dennis, I got an Flying Zoo Climax. You know the little cute one.
          Runs like a dream. Is there space for a DZ121 Digatrax?

          Happy New 2002, Rick Shoup

          On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:15:17 -0500 "Dennis Larson" <DLarson@...>
          writes:
          > I hope we get some good advice. I had a Lambert Goose but sold it
          > (probably
          > prematurely) because I couldn't figure how to isolate the motor for
          > use with
          > DCC.
          > I still have a Flying Zoo #7 Goose. I think the same problem exists
          > with it.
          > Dennis
          > Cape Coral
          >
          > Subject: [HOn3] Lambert Goose
          >

          > > Has anyone re-motored and re-geared a Lambert Goose? If so, any
          > thoughts
          > on how
          > > it was accomplished would be appreciated.
          > >

          > HOn3 list web pages are:
          > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Don Bergman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
            Steve,

            I have two Lambert Geese, #4 has a Northcoast D102-EU decoder. It runs well, though a little jumpy at slow speeds, and noisy.
            I am attempting to remotor my #5. I am attempting to install a Faulhaber 1319 motor with a flywheel (purchased from Steffen Romus in Germany-- Stoner Creek Miniatures, -great service) and cannot make the old gears work (yet), so I am currently attempting to get new gears from Northwest Shortline. Is there any other source for gears?

            It appears that the current gears are
            Motor Shaft: Spurgear 13 teeth .059 Bore +-
            Drive Shaft: Spurgear 29 teeth .077 bore +-

            Steffen suggested a 10 teeth on the motor and a 30 teeth on the drive shaft both modul 0.3.

            Northwest Shortline has the following available.
            0.3 x 10T x 1.5mm bore in brass (for the motor shaft) $6.00

            NWSL has no 30 teeth available and suggested two options
            1-0.3 x 26T x 2.mm bore in brass $9.95
            2-0.3 x 36T x 2.0mm bore in brass $9.95

            Since my current 13 teeth and 29 teeth gears are about 2mm apart with the new motor, my thought is to go with the 36 teeth, --plus that would give a little slower speed--but will that be too big and cause problems on the turns... ( I modified the vertical frame brackets to accommodate the new motor but to get the gears to mesh I would have to alter--file off-- part the horizontal frame and I am afraid that the motor would then hit the drive shaft gears.)

            Any body out there have any thoughts. This is my first attempt to deal with gears, (I have no idea what the modul 0.3 means! I assume it refers to the shape of the gear.) so any advice would be appreciated.

            Don Bergman
            Holland, MI

            Has anyone re-motored and re-geared a Lambert Goose? If so, any thoughts on how
            it was accomplished would be appreciated.

            I'd like to put Soundtrax/DCC in my #4, but the thing is so noisy it may not be
            worth the trouble.

            Thanks and Happy New Year,

            Steve Harris
            Valley Center, Ca.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            HOn3 list web pages are:
            http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/

          • hobosteve
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
              Hi,
              try one of my remotoring kits. Uses a Faulhaber coreless motor and
              flywheel. Important for good pewrformance is to built a second
              electrical pickup for the tailing truck. Kit comes with instructions
              and sells for $ 52. Hope to construct a whole new 4 wheel drive with
              pendular axle and same motor/flywheel arrangement later this year and
              get it to Providence in September

              Steffen
              www.Stonercreek.de
            • Jerry Clark
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2002
                Don Bergman wrote::

                >I have two Lambert Geese, #4 has a Northcoast D102-EU
                >decoder. It runs well, though a little jumpy at slow speeds,
                >and noisy.
                >I am attempting to remotor my #5. I am attempting to install
                >a Faulhaber 1319 motor with a flywheel (purchased from Steffen
                >Romus in Germany-- Stoner Creek Miniatures, -great service)
                >and cannot make the old gears work (yet)......

                Don, I installed Steffen's kit on my Lambert #4 without the flywheel.

                >(I modified the vertical frame brackets to accommodate the new
                >motor but to get the gears to mesh I would have to alter--file
                >off-- part the horizontal frame and I am afraid that the motor
                >would then hit the drive shaft gears.)

                There is no need for replacement gears if you simply file down the
                horizontal portion of the motor frame. The motor will fit with correct
                gear mesh without interfering with the drive shaft gears. Remove the
                drive shaft while you are doing the filing to protect the gears, and
                reassemble when you're done.

                Jerry Clark
              • sharris
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Jerry Clark wrote:

                  > Don, I installed Steffen's kit on my Lambert #4 without the flywheel.

                  Why without the flywheel, Jerry?

                  Also,

                  Is it quieter?

                  Best regards,

                  Steve Harris
                  Valley Center, Ca.
                • Jerry Clark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Steve:

                    1) I've never been a fan of flywheels. I'd rather use the space they
                    take up for additional locomotive weight. Of course this doesn't mean
                    anything inside a Goose. If you use the flywheel Steffen supplies you
                    have to replace stock the pinion gear with a narrower one, because the
                    flywheel is mopunted on the same end. I just didn't want to be
                    bothered.

                    2) No, it's no quieter.

                    Jerry

                    >Jerry Clark wrote:
                    >

                    >> Don, I installed Steffen's kit on my Lambert #4 without the flywheel.
                    >
                    >Why without the flywheel, Jerry?
                    >
                    >Also,
                    >
                    >Is it quieter?
                    >
                    >Best regards,
                    >
                    >Steve Harris
                    >Valley Center, Ca.
                  • Don Bergman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Jerry,

                      Thanks for the information that the motor will work if you grind the horizontal frame parts. At least I know that it will work. Though I I may attempt to get some replacement gears and make the flywheel work before I attempt that fix. 1- How did you remove the worm gears, does removing the clip on the front of the shaft enable it to be removed? 2- Any significant improvement in operation noted with just the new motor?

                      Don Bergman
                      Holland, MI

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2002
                        Don:

                        1) Remove the circlips and the nylon bushings. That permits the shaft
                        to be removed.
                        2) Installing the Faulhaber motor gives a significant improvement in
                        performance. Low speed operation is much better; none of the herky
                        jerky motion from the stock pager motor. It's well worth the effort and
                        money.

                        Jerry