Re: commuting

  • Rick Blanchard
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 1999
      Rick,

      >Are any of ya'll lucky enough to be able to commute to work by rail? If
      >so what state and name of railroad?

      I occasionally have work in Santa Ana, CA and take the Surfline from
      San Diego. Great trip, great scenery, no traffic!

      Cheers,
      Rick
    • Bob Longnecker
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 1999
        Regarding: COMMUTING BY RAIL

        Dear Anne:

        Years ago, when I was in my early career working for IBM in
        Philadelphia, PA, I used to commute daily on the PRR "Paoli
        Local".

        I can still remember the station calls on that line, some 40-
        plus years later:

        OVERBROOK! ... MERION! ... WYNNEWOOD! ... ARDMORE!
        RADNOR!... WAYNE!... DEVON!... DAYLESFORD!...
        aaahhhnd.... PAOLI!....... !! <--- "Skip-stop" outbound call)

        Every day, I would race to the Wynnewood, PA PRR Station, park
        my car, and, just in the nick of time, catch the "7:48" "SKIP-STOP"
        to Philadelphia's "Suburban Station", which was somewhat of a
        misnomer, as in fact it was the P.R.R.'s center-city station.

        There was considerable camaraderie between commuters, with most
        having "regular seats" in the same car every day. You purchased your
        commuting tickets as a special, budget-priced "24-tripper" ticket;
        which had 24 spaces around its periphery to be punched. If you
        changed suits, or whatever, and happened to forget your ticket, the
        Conductor (same Conductor every day, too) would simply say: "No
        problem. I'll hit you twice tomorrow." Which he would.

        You could tell the conductor's arrival by the "clinking" of his
        punch. You see, like barbers constantly flexing their scissors, they
        kept their punches "hot & ready to go" by almost constantly rapidly
        opening & closing them .... with the occasional presence of a ticket
        in their jaws only briefly altering the rhythmic, clinking tone.

        The same card games, with the same participants, sitting in the same
        seats, went on for months, maybe even years.

        I was a usual "vestibule" passenger, as by the time the train reached
        Wynnewood on its "inbound" trip, it would usually be full, standing
        room only.

        Our little group in the vestibule would generally stand around and
        "cut up" the Pennsy, its service, or lack thereof, etc., .....typical
        passenger "bitching". One of the "vestibule" regulars, a rather
        distinguished-looking gentleman, always boarded at Merion (next-to-
        the-last stop before entering Philadelphia city limits) and always
        got off at 30th Street Station (Pennsy's main "through" station for
        Philadelphia, and intersection point for NY <--> Washington, DC
        "name" trains).

        He was always dressed the same: Long winter overcoat, hat, dark suit
        w/ vest. And he was very taciturn. I don't believe I ever heard him
        say a word to any other passenger. When the bitching & carping would
        start, he would just stare straight ahead, glowering, apparently, at
        some point on the horizon, and leave the crucifixion of all things
        Pennsy to the rest of us. "How refined", I can remember thinking.

        It wasn't until many years later that I heard a "new" vestibule
        passenger identify him to another passenger, after the taciturn guy's
        customary departure at 30th Street, by saying: "Geez. That's Stuart
        T. Saunders, Chairman of the Board of the P.R.R! And, what's more,
        even HE has to stand in the vestibule! What are you'se guys gripin'
        about?" (!)

        True story.

        Regards,

        --- Bob Longnecker ---
      • Anne Ogborn
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 1999
          Rick C Shoup wrote:

          > From: Rick C Shoup <rcshoup@...>
          >
          > Are any of ya'll lucky enough to be able to commute to work by rail? If
          > so what state and name of railroad?
          > Regards.......... Rick Shoup

          Not currently, but when I worked for Apple I commuted by
          Caltrain.
          Until a week or two ago I had a contract where I sometimes
          commuted by Amtrak, and sometimes by BART.

          Commuter rail is very real here, and it works.

          All this in San Francisco Bay area.
        • Rick C Shoup
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 1999
            Wow! How long is the ride and how much is the cost? When you get to Santa
            Ana, then what? A taxi to the work site?
            Regards.......... Rick Shoup

            On Sat, 1 May 1999 01:52:59 -0700 Rick Blanchard <bdesign@...>
            writes:
            >From: Rick Blanchard <bdesign@...>
            >
            >Rick,
            >
            >>Are any of ya'll lucky enough to be able to commute to work by rail?
            >If
            >>so what state and name of railroad?
            >
            >I occasionally have work in Santa Ana, CA and take the Surfline from
            >San Diego. Great trip, great scenery, no traffic!
            >
            >Cheers,
            >Rick

            >What does Public Radio's "Ask Dr. Science Show" know that you
            >don't...?
            >http://www.onelist.com
            >...That ONElist hosts the largest free e-mail lists on the Internet
            >today!
            >HOn3 web page is:
            >http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/

            or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
          • Rick C Shoup
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 1999
              In 1994 I spent 4 weeks in the San Fran area attending several NMRA
              functions and did lots of communting by BART etc. Nice way to live. The
              PCR 50th Conv brought the Roaring Camps train down onto the docks at
              Santa Cruze to pick us up. I suspect quite a bit of shuckin and jiving
              was involved to allow the train down there.

              Also was nice to look at the Pacific from US Shores. Almost all of my
              time looking at it was from from a ship or from the other side. (Japan or
              Southward.)
              Regards.......... Rick Shoup

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 1999
                Bob Longnecker wrote:

                > From: "Bob Longnecker" <blong@...>
                >
                > Regarding: COMMUTING BY RAIL
                >
                > Dear Anne:
                >
                > Years ago, when I was in my early career working for IBM in
                > Philadelphia, PA, I used to commute daily on the PRR "Paoli
                > Local".
                >
                > I can still remember the station calls on that line, some 40-
                > plus years later:
                >
                > OVERBROOK! ... MERION! ... WYNNEWOOD! ... ARDMORE!
                > RADNOR!... WAYNE!... DEVON!... DAYLESFORD!...
                > aaahhhnd.... PAOLI!....... !! <--- "Skip-stop" outbound call)

                Yes, the Caltrain still does this

                Bayshore... Bayshore next... Bayshore.

                at each station, with a distinct pattern.

                > Every day, I would race to the Wynnewood, PA PRR Station, park
                > my car, and, just in the nick of time, catch the "7:48" "SKIP-STOP"
                > to Philadelphia's "Suburban Station", which was somewhat of a
                > misnomer, as in fact it was the P.R.R.'s center-city station.

                LOL! I got on a 24 Stockton bus downtown with a big group of people, most of
                whom were headed for Caltrain. They'd always yell at the driver to
                hurry if we were near departure time.

                > There was considerable camaraderie between commuters, with most
                > having "regular seats" in the same car every day. You purchased your
                > commuting tickets as a special, budget-priced "24-tripper" ticket;
                > which had 24 spaces around its periphery to be punched. If you
                > changed suits, or whatever, and happened to forget your ticket, the
                > Conductor (same Conductor every day, too) would simply say: "No
                > problem. I'll hit you twice tomorrow." Which he would.

                Yes, there was some of this on the Caltrain as well. Not everyone,
                and there weren't constant seats, but the regulars would get to
                know each other.
                My morning routine was to grab an apple fritter and coffee for the
                train, and they'd hand it to me & take my money as I ran by if the
                train was late.

                I also "adopted" a pigeon. I knew it was "my" pigeon because he or she
                had a missing toe with a distinctive stump. My pigeon friend would
                see me and come waddling over to greet me (and, of course, beg for
                apple fritter). I'd give him a bit, and then he'd hang around me.
                Once I didn't come for a few days, and he was all a flutter when I came
                back.

                > You could tell the conductor's arrival by the "clinking" of his
                > punch. You see, like barbers constantly flexing their scissors, they
                > kept their punches "hot & ready to go" by almost constantly rapidly
                > opening & closing them .... with the occasional presence of a ticket
                > in their jaws only briefly altering the rhythmic, clinking tone.

                Yes, I know that sound. 8^)

                The story about Stuart Saunders is great. My job has put me in contact with
                a lot of CEO's, and most of them have impressed me with their simple humility.

                My first day on the job at Informix I was sternly warned not to discuss what
                I was working on with anyone outside R&D, not even within the company.
                late morning a guy in a suit walked up, introduced himself as Mike Brown. I asked
                him what he did, and he said "oh, talk to investors and wall street types". Then he
                asked me what I was going to be doing. I said I couldn't say. He replied it would
                probably be OK. I said I'd been cautioned not to talk to unauthorized people, and
                basicly demanded to know who the heck he was.
                "I'm the CEO", he replied.
              • Rick Blanchard
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 1999
                  Rick,

                  >Wow! How long is the ride and how much is the cost? When you get to Santa
                  >Ana, then what? A taxi to the work site?

                  I catch the 575 or 577 San Diegan for an hour and forty minute trip
                  along the CA coast thru Del Mar, Solana Beach, Oceanside, San
                  Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Irvine and finally Santa Ana, where my
                  co-conspirators, er, partners pick me up for the five minute drive to
                  their office. I get the 782 back (the Express) for an hour and a half
                  trip.

                  Amtrak reservations is online at: http://reservations.amtrak.com/
                  but aren't answering for some reason tonight. I think it was around
                  $21 round trip. Cheap thrills!

                  Cheers,
                  Rick
                • JimVice@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 1999
                    In a message dated 5/1/99 9:19:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rcshoup@...
                    writes:

                    > PCR 50th Conv brought the Roaring Camps train down onto the docks at
                    > Santa Cruze to pick us up. I suspect quite a bit of shuckin and jiving
                    > was involved to allow the train down there.

                    Nope! Two round trips each weekend day during summer.
                    Then a great trip up to Bear Mountain behind a 3' Dixieana Shay!
                    Big bar-b-que on Saturday night!

                    Yahoo! Let the summer begin!

                    Jim