Re: weathered rail

  • Rick C Shoup
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30, 1999
      Harold, will it color solder? Does the bottle say?
      Regards.......... Rick Shoup

      On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:10:38 -0600 "Harold Huber"
      <sarge9@...> writes:
      >From: "Harold Huber" <sarge9@...>
      >
      >All,
      >
      >I just bought a bottle of rail weathering solution from Caboose
      >Hobbies for
      >$6.25 for 3 oz. Made by Micro Engineering. Called Rail Weathering
      >Solution # 49-103. Directions included.
      >
      >Harold

      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
    • HOn3MRR@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 1999
        Hi Gang........

        My 2 cents on the "pre"weathered rail!

        I'm not banging the folks that make the stuff, or those of you that use it
        due to time or skill constraints, but I have found that the chemical that is
        used is a barrier that must be removed to make a good clean soldered joint.
        Slight filing or sanding is required and that removes the coloring, requiring
        that area to be retouched. Also it is weathered in a uniform state and that
        in itself becomes very boring and unrealistic.

        I've found that a small brush and a pallet full of "rail brown" colors will
        make a much more realistic scene. Of course this requires a goodly amount of
        labor and time but the result is much better IMHO.

        Bill "Staying off the computer-Spending more time at my bench" Martin
      • Harold Huber
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 1999
          Rick,

          I have no Idea and the bottle does not say. I do know that blacken it will.
          I just returned home and have not had the oppurtunity to use it I'll try on
          some solder today and let you know.

          Harold
          >Harold, will it color solder? Does the bottle say?
          >Regards.......... Rick Shoup
          >

          >On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:10:38 -0600 "Harold Huber"
          ><sarge9@...> writes:
          >>From: "Harold Huber" <sarge9@...>
          >>
          >>All,
          >>
          >>I just bought a bottle of rail weathering solution from Caboose
          >>Hobbies for
          >>$6.25 for 3 oz. Made by Micro Engineering. Called Rail Weathering
          >>Solution # 49-103. Directions included.
          >>
          >>Harold

        • Tom Troughton, MMR
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 1999
            Hi all,

            Railcraft sells a small plastic bottle of their rail coloring solution. I
            believe it's basically Selenium Dioxide. Pretty much the same stuff that's
            in a bottle of gun bluing solution you buy at the sporting goods counter or
            a shooting sports supply center.

            I have a bottle of Micro-Engineering's (Railcraft) coloring solution. It
            worked fine on rail, solder and the copper plating of PC ties.

            About using pre-weathered rail and soldering. Before I would use a piece of
            code 70 for my layout, I would lay it on a flat surface and rub the coloring
            off the bottom side with a sanding block. I make all my solder connection to
            the underside rather than on the side of the rails. There's about a hundred
            or more on my layout and not one has failed. They vanish also once the
            ballast is in place. I don't solder rail joiners either, but let them float.
            Each piece of rail has a feeder wire running down to a heavy buss wire.
            Sometimes, in a short block, I will solder short connecting wires to the
            ends of rails an inch or so back from a rail joiner, but route the wired
            down under my subroadbed and back up through it to the other piece of rail.
            Again, no sign or a solder connection.

            Just my 2 cents worth. There's no right or wrong way of doing things. I just
            like the looks of my methods, even if it takes longer to accomplish.

            Tom Troughton

            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 1999
              Hi gang.

              One more thing to add to my previous posting.

              There used to be a product called "Hobby Black" on the market for weathering
              brass. I don't know if it's still available. It works the same way as
              Micro-Engineering's Rail Weathering Solution.

              Tom Troughton
              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 1999
                HOn3MRR@... wrote:

                > My 2 cents on the "pre"weathered rail!... it is weathered in a uniform state and that
                > in itself becomes very boring and unrealistic.
                >
                > I've found that a small brush and a pallet full of "rail brown" colors will
                > make a much more realistic scene. Of course this requires a goodly amount of
                > labor and time but the result is much better IMHO.

                Actually, I prefer the weathered rail but also add some of the rail
                brown/rust coloring to vary the consistent coloring of the
                pre-weathering. I think it's easier to put on the occaissional thin
                coat on brown than to add enough to cover the unweathered silver.

                Mike Conder
              • Harold Huber
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 1999
                  Rick,

                  Yes it colors solder, also pewter, and white metal, nice way to get a rust
                  color on metal.

                  Harold

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 1999
                    I too realized that soldering rails together is not good thinking. Every
                    time the humidity or temp changed some solder joints would crack. Usually
                    not in a coveniant location. Then I looked again at prototype joints and
                    discovered almost all have a bonding wire around each location.

                    I found A single strand from a stranded piece of wire
                    was enough to maintain continuity because it is a very short length the
                    small strand will handle the load. Then I let the jointers float and lots
                    of the problems stopped. Plus it looked realistic.

                    Regards.......... Rick Shoup