Applying Cement

  • Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
      I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or MEK to bond
      a styrene railing to a turntable. The problem is that the table is
      installed and I have to work form above the pit. This requires that, in the
      case of CA I have to turn the bottle (more or less) up side down to get to
      the joints. The problem is that gravity is supreme and overcome the surface
      tension of the CA, quickly causing it to form big drops. I tried taking a
      piece of the finest tubing I could find for this application and adapting it
      to a nozzle fitted to the end of the CA bottle (I'm using the CA commonly
      available in R/C stores in ½, 1 and 2 oz. Bottles - can't remember the mfr.
      name. The nozzle is sold to fit on these bottles). The problem here is
      that apparently the heat supplied by my hand is causing the CA to expand and
      do the same thing.

      What does the group do to control the delivery of tiny amounts of CA or MEK
      to locations such as I have described? I haven't tried much with the MEK
      because it's in a location that makes getting a brush into it too
      cumbersome. Also, the curing time is a bit longer which I can't afford in
      this situation.

      Thanks for any help you can offer.
      -------------------------------
      Bill Lugg
      Software Engineer,
      MilStar AF Command Post Terminal Software Support
      OO-ALC/TISFE, Peterson AFB, CO

      William.Lugg@... <mailto:william.lugg@...> or
      luggw1@... <mailto:luggw1@...>
      Weinberg's Second Law - If builders built buildings the way programmers
      wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy
      civilization.
    • Tom Troughton, MMR
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
        "Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE" <william.lugg@...>
        wrote"................What does the group do to control the delivery of tiny
        amounts of CA or MEK to locations such as I have described? I haven't tried
        much with the MEK
        because it's in a location that makes getting a brush into it too
        cumbersome. Also, the curing time is a bit longer which I can't afford in
        this situation."

        Hi Bill,

        I usually use the tip of a .020 or smaller brass wire. Take the CA or MEK
        and put a drop or two on a piece of plastic lid material. Actually I use the
        bottom of a 35mm film canister because it has a neat depression in it. Then
        touch the tip of the wire to the puddle to pick up some solution and
        transfer it to the joint. Sometimes you will have to touch the puddle
        several times in order for it to stick to the tip of the wire.

        Then to seal or set the joint, I use the other end of the wire to transfer
        some of the AC setting solution. I make a small loop or hook in that end the
        wire to help attract the stuff. Just take the cap from the setting solution
        and spray a small amount of the stuff into it. When you're done, pour the
        remainder back into the bottle. Don't get the ends confused because you can
        mess up the AC with one drop of the setting solution.

        Hope this helps.

        Tom Troughton
      • hatch@railway-eng.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In HOn3@y..., Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE <william.lugg@c...>
          wrote:
          > I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or MEK
          to bond
          > a styrene railing to a turntable. The problem is that the table is
          > installed and I have to work form above the pit.

          When I need a small drop of MEK or ACC, I put a drip in a regular
          paint jar cap. Then touch a piece of wire (usually .015 piano) into
          the drop. A small quantity will hang onto the wire and thus can be
          touched to the area wanted.
          Maybe this will work for you.

          I also oil small joints this way. Keeps from getting a glob where
          I don't want it.
          -Stephen hatch WTA
        • eabracher@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
            Tak a small needle and grind off the end of the EYE so you have a small U.

            Put a drop off CA on a piece of glass and dip your needle applicator in it
            then apply to the joint. Works everytime.

            eric
          • eabracher@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
              In a message dated 10/1/01 7:49:48 AM, tomt491@... writes:

              << Then to seal or set the joint, I use the other end of the wire to transfer
              some of the AC setting solution. I make a small loop or hook in that end the
              wire to help attract the stuff. Just take the cap from the setting solution
              and spray a small amount of the stuff into it. When you're done, pour the
              remainder back into the bottle. Don't get the ends confused because you can
              mess up the AC with one drop of the setting solution.

              When opening the setting solution make sure you CA is capped or put away or
              you will have hard CA.

              Also using a piece of wire is not too effective. See my comments on the
              needle.

              eric
            • pax-tres@att.net
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                Hi
                Transferring a very small amount of ACC with the tip of
                a very small piece of basswood should solve the problem.
                If you use a solvent such as MEK (methyl chloride is
                better) requires that the two pieces be in place and the
                liquid placed at the intersection. This works
                differently than glue. The solvent goes betwen the two
                pieces by capillary action and slightly disolves both
                surfaces which in turn adhear to each other by
                intermingling. In all cases the items must be held
                motionless for a short time until the adhearing starts
                otherwise they will fall down or separate.
                You could also try placing some glue on the tip of the
                small piece away from the action and then place the
                piece in place.
                Agail, also make temporary supports to be used after
                gluing and removed after the glue sets.
                Good luck!!!
                Dave

                David A. Finnegan
                Scituate, Rhode Island
                dafinnegan@...
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Bill Lugg wrote:

                  > I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or MEK to bond
                  > a styrene railing to a turntable. The problem is that the table is
                  > installed and I have to work form above the pit. This requires that, in the
                  > case of CA I have to turn the bottle (more or less) up side down to get to
                  > the joints. The problem is that gravity is supreme and overcome the surface
                  > tension of the CA, quickly causing it to form big drops.

                  Bill,

                  I never add ACC or MEk directly from the bottle. I always place it on something
                  non-porous, then use a toothpick or a needle eye to set the glue where I want
                  it.

                  Eric Bracher of Rio Grande Models sells needle eye applicators. It's also easy
                  to make your own. They are just needles with the top of the eye cut off, then
                  the needle is stuck into a short piece of dowel. With the cut eye, the
                  contraption looks like a "Y" on a stick. Glue is held on by surface tension
                  until it is applied.

                  Mike Conder
                • pdsteam@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                    There is an applicator available from many hobby shops that is designed just for this purpose. I don't think it will work for CA but I use it all the time for applying MEK...love the way it works. It is a long glass tube about about 1/8" in dia. with a 1" long tiny metal tube on one end. The MEK sits in the tube waiting for the metal end to be touched to something and at that point the MEK will flow for one tiny drop or for as long as you hold it to a surface.
                    It's also available from the MicroMark catalog but I expect most hobby shops will have it.
                    PeteC

                    In a message dated Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:49:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Tom Troughton, MMR" <tomt491@...> writes:

                    > "Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE" <william.lugg@...>
                    > wrote"................What does the group do to control the delivery of tiny
                    > amounts of CA or MEK to locations such as I have described? I haven't tried
                    > much with the MEK
                    > because it's in a location that makes getting a brush into it too
                    > cumbersome. Also, the curing time is a bit longer which I can't afford in
                    > this situation."
                    >

                    > Hi Bill,
                    >
                    > I usually use the tip of a .020 or smaller brass wire. Take the CA or MEK
                    > and put a drop or two on a piece of plastic lid material. Actually I use the
                    > bottom of a 35mm film canister because it has a neat depression in it. Then
                    > touch the tip of the wire to the puddle to pick up some solution and
                    > transfer it to the joint. Sometimes you will have to touch the puddle
                    > several times in order for it to stick to the tip of the wire.
                    >
                    > Then to seal or set the joint, I use the other end of the wire to transfer
                    > some of the AC setting solution. I make a small loop or hook in that end the
                    > wire to help attract the stuff. Just take the cap from the setting solution
                    > and spray a small amount of the stuff into it. When you're done, pour the
                    > remainder back into the bottle. Don't get the ends confused because you can
                    > mess up the AC with one drop of the setting solution.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Tom Troughton
                    >

                    > HOn3 list web pages are:
                    > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
                    > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
                    > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

                  • Boone Morrison
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                      >--- In HOn3@y..., Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE <william.lugg@c...>
                      >wrote:
                      > > I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or MEK

                      Bill: I made an applicator with a common sewing needle. I stuck it
                      into a small dowel as a handle and the eye of the needle picks up and
                      dispenses a very tiny amount quite reliably. When it gets clogged
                      simply hold it over a lit match, which burns off the CA glue, leaving
                      it clean again.

                      And, in a pinch you can pull it out of the handle and repair a tear
                      in your shirt! :-)

                      Aloha, Boone
                    • Scott McLeod
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Bill,

                        I put a drop of CA on a piece of wax paper and pick up small amounts
                        with the end of a stick pin.

                        Scott McLeod
                        HOn3 RGS Ridgway - Durango

                        Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE wrote:

                        > I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or MEK to
                        > bond
                        > a styrene railing to a turntable. The problem is that the table is
                        > installed and I have to work form above the pit. This requires that,
                        > in the
                        > case of CA I have to turn the bottle (more or less) up side down to
                        > get to
                        > the joints. The problem is that gravity is supreme and overcome the
                        > surface
                        > tension of the CA, quickly causing it to form big drops. I tried
                        > taking a
                        > piece of the finest tubing I could find for this application and
                        > adapting it
                        > to a nozzle fitted to the end of the CA bottle (I'm using the CA
                        > commonly
                        > available in R/C stores in ½, 1 and 2 oz. Bottles - can't remember the
                        > mfr.
                        > name. The nozzle is sold to fit on these bottles). The problem here
                        > is
                        > that apparently the heat supplied by my hand is causing the CA to
                        > expand and
                        > do the same thing.
                        >
                        > What does the group do to control the delivery of tiny amounts of CA
                        > or MEK
                        > to locations such as I have described? I haven't tried much with the
                        > MEK
                        > because it's in a location that makes getting a brush into it too
                        > cumbersome. Also, the curing time is a bit longer which I can't
                        > afford in
                        > this situation.
                        >
                        > Thanks for any help you can offer.

                        > -------------------------------
                        > Bill Lugg
                        > Software Engineer,
                        > MilStar AF Command Post Terminal Software Support
                        > OO-ALC/TISFE, Peterson AFB, CO
                        >
                        > William.Lugg@... <mailto:william.lugg@...> or
                        > luggw1@... <mailto:luggw1@...>
                        > Weinberg's Second Law - If builders built buildings the way
                        > programmers
                        > wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy
                        > civilization.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        [Image]

                        > HOn3 list web pages are:
                        > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
                        > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
                        > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

                      • Ken martin
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE wrote:

                          > What does the group do to control the delivery of tiny amounts of CA or MEK
                          > to locations such as I have described? I haven't tried much with the MEK
                          > because it's in a location that makes getting a brush into it too
                          > cumbersome. Also, the curing time is a bit longer which I can't afford in
                          > this situation.

                          For MEK I use an A-line bottle with the smallest tip, put about 1/4" (6mm) in
                          the bottle, then touch the tip to the joint briefly.

                          When using MEK or any solvent make sure you have good ventilation.

                          KEn Martin
                        • eabracher@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                            In a message dated 10/1/01 1:13:37 PM, pdsteam@... writes:

                            << There is an applicator available from many hobby shops that is designed
                            just for this purpose. I don't think it will work for CA but I use it all
                            the time for applying MEK...love the way it works. It is a long glass tube
                            about about 1/8" in dia. with a 1" long tiny metal tube on one end. The MEK
                            sits in the tube waiting for the metal end to be touched to something and at
                            that point the MEK will flow for one tiny drop or for as long as you hold it
                            to a surface.
                            It's also available from the MicroMark catalog but I expect most hobby shops
                            will have it.

                            Seems a waste of money when you can make a better applicator from a needle
                            with the end ground off.

                            eric
                          • rick shoup
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                              Doesn't work to close up burnt places from either hot glue or solder
                              though.
                              Regards, Rick Shoup

                              On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:44:09 -1000 Boone Morrison <boone@...>
                              writes:
                              > >--- In HOn3@y..., Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE
                              > <william.lugg@c...>
                              > >wrote:
                              > > > I have a situation where I need to apply a tiny amount of CA or
                              > MEK
                              >
                              > Bill: I made an applicator with a common sewing needle. I stuck it
                              > into a small dowel as a handle and the eye of the needle picks up
                              > and
                              > dispenses a very tiny amount quite reliably. When it gets clogged
                              > simply hold it over a lit match, which burns off the CA glue,
                              > leaving
                              > it clean again.
                              >
                              > And, in a pinch you can pull it out of the handle and repair a tear
                              > in your shirt! :-)
                              >
                              > Aloha, Boone

                            • Rick & Katy Blanchard
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                                Bill,

                                I echo the use of a pin or two. Mine is a bank pin for large scale
                                and a dressmakers pin for small stuff. I also have a right angle pin
                                I can use to get a drop of glue in and around behind some places. I
                                also have a small container that I regularly add more fresh stuff to.
                                As the CA melst the lower layers I get more gap filling action if I
                                need it. If you need a joint to set fast, sprinkle a little baking
                                soda on it. Sets instantly and you can file it to suit.

                                Cheers,
                                Rick

                                --
                                Rick Blanchard -=-=-=- rick@...
                                'da Trains!' -- http://www.urbaneagle.com/datrains/
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                  >Dave-

                                  >a very small piece of basswood should solve the problem.

                                  I just keep a box of flat toothpicks on my workbench. They work well.

                                  Michael
                                • pax-tres@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                    Michael
                                    The toothpick solution is the obvious best. I was trying
                                    to pick something that might be on the person's bench. I
                                    don't see what the problem is for such an easy chore to
                                    solve. But it has fun to hear of all the many neat
                                    solutions that others have come up with.
                                    dave

                                    David A. Finnegan
                                    Scituate, Rhode Island

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                      In a message dated 10/2/01 7:38:32 AM, pax-tres@... writes:

                                      << The toothpick solution is the obvious best >>

                                      The problem with a toothpick is first it will absorb the CA. Then when you
                                      have a coating, you next get a blob. Not very conducive to applying to a
                                      small joint.

                                      Then your toothpick bonds itself to your work bench. @#$%^&* then you drop
                                      the box of picks making a chore to pick them up.

                                      Why not use a needle inserted in a small dowel or cork?

                                      eric
                                    • rick shoup
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                        How did you discover the baking soda trick?
                                        Regards, Rick Shoup

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                          Eric
                                          If you read my e-mail, you would have realized that I
                                          was trying to suggest a quick fix based upon what was
                                          available on his work bench. That is why I suggested a
                                          small piece of basswood for a one time answer. It should
                                          be obvious that for the long haul that the needle is the
                                          best answer. The tooth pick is a one time use and would
                                          be discarded each time. The absorption by the wood is a
                                          further help for the particular problem given by the
                                          initiator of the question. This would reduce the amount
                                          deposited even more than the small drop making his
                                          application even less messy. Your further objections
                                          don't exist if the toothpick is discarded and the
                                          modeler is not a klutz (dumping the box). If he is a
                                          klutz your needle would end up in the proverbial
                                          haystack on the floor which might be worse than
                                          playing "52 pick up".
                                          dave

                                          D.A.Finnegan
                                          Scituate, Rhode Island
                                          dafinnegan@...

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                                            Rick,

                                            I didn't invent the trick, I read it somewhere or someone else told
                                            me. I have been telling others for a long time, but usually only when
                                            the situation comes up and I remember it. I haven't tried yet but I
                                            would expect that a little baking soda in water, put in a spray
                                            bottle would make an instant setting solution too.

                                            Cheers,
                                            Rick

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 3, 2001
                                              FYI,
                                              I tried the needle idea last night. It worked great! I now have a new tool
                                              that will make a lot of these kinds of problems a whole lot easier.

                                              Thanks for the advice.
                                              -------------------------------

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 3, 2001
                                                Dave, You are right on your comments but how much time does it take to
                                                insert a needle in a length of dowel and grinf ogg the end of the eye? 1
                                                minute?????????

                                                eric
                                              • eabracher@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 3, 2001
                                                  In a message dated 10/3/01 5:29:46 AM, william.lugg@... writes:

                                                  << FYI,
                                                  I tried the needle idea last night. It worked great! I now have a new tool
                                                  that will make a lot of these kinds of problems a whole lot easier.

                                                  Thanks for the advice.
                                                  - >>

                                                  See guys, it works.

                                                  Make a few and leave them around your workbench for quick reach.

                                                  eric
                                                • GarnerAF@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 4, 2001
                                                    In a message dated 10/4/2001 2:51:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                                    HOn3@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                                    << grinf ogg the end of the eye? >>

                                                    Ok, Eric, just how do you do this?

                                                    Best,

                                                    Andy Garner
                                                  • Lugg William H Civ OO-ALC/TISFE
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 4, 2001
                                                      I'm not Eric, but FWIW, I used the cut-off disk in the Dremel tool. Wear
                                                      eye protection! It's just a tiny piece that comes flying off. Before I cut
                                                      it I mounted the needle in the wood dowel to hold it.

                                                      HTH
                                                      -------------------------------

                                                    • vulturenest@home.com
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 4, 2001
                                                        Eric Bracher wrote:

                                                        > See guys, it works.
                                                        > Make a few and leave them around your workbench for quick reach.

                                                        I have three, all different sizes, all from Eric's table at Colorado
                                                        Springs NNGC. I like the color coded handles, let's me get the right
                                                        tool easily.

                                                        Mike Conder
                                                      • eabracher@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 4, 2001
                                                          In a message dated 10/4/01 6:16:19 AM, william.lugg@... writes:

                                                          << I'm not Eric, but FWIW, I used the cut-off disk in the Dremel tool. Wear
                                                          eye protection! It's just a tiny piece that comes flying off. Before I cut
                                                          it I mounted the needle in the wood dowel to hold it.

                                                          After mounting the needle in the wood dowel, I then use a disc sander (mine
                                                          came from Micro Mark) to grind the end off the eye. Needles are hard and
                                                          take a bit of grinding to remove the eye end.

                                                          I swiss file would most likely not work.

                                                          eric