Re: [HOn3] Narrowing Tichy Ore Cars ( was: list of... )

  • HOn3MRR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3 12:42 PM
      martin.fischer@... writes:

      << I write down the detailled description >>

      Please do that!

      Bill Martin
    • rick shoup
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3 3:56 PM
        Steve your explainations are great. The
        photos sure help. Thanks for sharing.
        Regards, Rick Shoup

        On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 02:20:32 -0000 hatch@... writes:
        >> I narrowed a bunch of MDC cars. Here is the method I used
        > on the web page:
        >
        > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/mdcpass.htm
        >
        > Maybe this will help.
        > -Steve Hatch

      • Robert Bell
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3 5:34 PM
          At 03:42 PM 9/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
          >In a message dated 9/3/01 2:40:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
          >martin.fischer@... writes:
          >
          ><< I write down the detailled description >>
          >
          >Please do that!
          >
          >Bill Martin

          I second it!! Please!!

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4 8:04 AM
            "The IHC old time tank car just needs replacement couplers and trucks
            and it is ready to go as is."

            Funny you should mention these. I don't know about the as is...the
            railings are awful and the way the rig up the 'bolster' if you can
            call it that leaves much to be desired...

            I'm not knocking the idea at all since I own about 2 dozen of these
            cars. I make a few modifications to them. If you pull the hand
            rails off,cut the walks off, and cut the bolsters off it can then be
            mounted on a flat car and it make a really wicked car. I have been
            sanding the bottom of the car to lower the stance of the tank. The
            supports for the walks become the supports to keep the tank upright
            on the flat. I mounted hand rail to the tank and mounted it on a
            RailLine flat car. It won't match any prototype but I'm doing my own
            thing anyway. They do make excellent looking cars.

            IHC has 3 or 4 'Old Time' cars. One is a ventilated box car. I
            haven't tried them yet but I have one of each.

            Duane Richardson
            EL Lobo Division
            Purgatory & Devil River Railroad
            http://members.home.net/pinecreekstation/
          • Duncan Harvey
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4 9:55 AM
              Duane,
              I agree with you completely. The car is useable almost
              as is with not much modification, but it sure looks better
              if you do the things you mentioned. I have about 4-5 of
              them with the handrails replaced and the rest left pretty
              much alone. I may have altered the bolsters too, I don't
              remember off hand. As mentioned the stock car is workable.
              It is longer than a 30' car, but not quite as long as a 40'
              car. It is a little too wide also. Most of these
              conversions need to be narrowed to look really right. Let
              us know how the ventilated box car comes out when you modify
              it.
              Duncan

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              You can, too! Start