Split Gears

  • Boris Serena
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      Gang

      I've discovered 2 split axle gears on my kitbashed HOn3 Ferrobus, with no appearant reason. I've never seen this before, and wonder what may be the cause. I haven't used the model for about 1 month, and discovered the cracked gears as I wanted to run it yesterday. The gears are made of acetal plastic, is there a possibility to glue them back together? I do have 2 spare wheelsets of the same type, which aren't cracked(yet). Any hints & tips are greatly appreciated.
      Boris

    • HOn3MRR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
        In a message dated 9/1/01 3:22:24 AM Central Daylight Time, tach@...
        writes:

        << split axle gears on my kitbashed HOn3 Ferrobus, with no appearant reason.
        I've never seen this before, and wonder what may be the cause. I haven't used
        the model for about 1 month, and discovered the cracked gears as I wanted to
        run it yesterday >>

        Hi Boris.....

        I'm no engineer, but I'm getting to the "old geezer" and "I've been there,
        done that," stage in the game. I can offer my opinions based on the fact of
        encountering the same problems over the years. I have found in my years in
        the auto business and modeling plastic models, that "plastic" as we know it,
        shrinks with age and consequently cracks. This is particularly true if it is
        around a steel rod, like a motor shaft or wheel axle. Nylon gears and wheels
        are now used to delay that, the buzz word here is delay because they to will
        deteriorate and come apart. Another real foe of the plastic is some of the
        lubricants we use. Strive to use a lube that is plastic
        safe/friendly.....i.e. La Belle!

        As for gluing, you might take the gear off the shaft and then glue it
        together, but I think you will find that the gear is not as accurate and true
        as original and the hole in gear for the shaft will be, in all likelihood be
        to small due to the shrinkage. At that point, I would try NWSL or the
        original manufacturer for the correct gear.

        Hope that I have been of help......back to the bench!

        Bill Martin
        Presque Isle Northern RR
      • RoundBell@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
          Split plastic gears have been a problem for years. Athearn axle gears are
          prone to the problem and early Proro 2000 BL-2s and FA-2s in particular. and
          many fine Samhongsa made diesels from Alco, Oriental and Hallmark had chronic
          problems with split gears. The problem is obvious, an oversize axle (to get a
          tight grip) is pressed into a plastic gear imparting expanding pressure on
          the gear. In old days they would knurl the axle which had ten times more grip
          than a smooth axle so the fit didn't have to be as tight but this costs more
          and the knurling had to be very precise.
          Repairing split ones is impossible. Getting more and hoping for better luck
          is the best solution. A famous slot car solution was to take a good set of
          wheels with gear and boil it in water, this supposedly stress releived the
          plastic gear. I can NOT vouch for this solution, just pass it on.
          Loco Doc

          writes:
          << I've discovered 2 split axle gears on my kitbashed HOn3 Ferrobus, with no
          appearant reason. I've never seen this before, and wonder what may be the
          cause. I haven't used the model for about 1 month, and discovered the cracked
          gears as I wanted to run it yesterday. The gears are made of acetal plastic,
          is there a possibility to glue them back together? I do have 2 spare
          wheelsets of the same type, which aren't cracked(yet). Any hints & tips are
          greatly appreciated.
          Boris >>
        • Al Sandrini
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
            A famous slot car solution was to take a good set of wheels with gear and boil it
            in water, this supposedly stress relieved the plastic gear. I can NOT vouch for
            this solution, just pass it on.
            Loco Doc

            Doc & Others,

            About 20 years ago, TopFlite made plastic props for R/C planes. The problem with
            the larger props was that at high RPM's the tips would start bending forward as
            the tip of a prop is were all of the load exists. As the tips would pull further
            ahead of the prop hub, sometimes they would snap the tips from the prop.
            TopFlite included in their instructions the cure" Boil them for 10 minutes and
            then allow to coo. slowly (don't
            put them into cold water. Cold water would make them brittle again).

            I remember the axles with the splines. Never saw a split gear on one and never
            had problems with gears or axles then. At the manufacturers cost, this could add
            a whopping 10 cents the cost of production and eliminate many problems. They,
            like many, have decided to take the easy way out and make smooth gears and shove
            them through uncured plastic gears.

            Big Al from Cal

            RoundBell@... wrote:

            > Split plastic gears have been a problem for years. Athearn axle gears are
            > prone to the problem and early Proro 2000 BL-2s and FA-2s in particular. and
            > many fine Samhongsa made diesels from Alco, Oriental and Hallmark had chronic
            > problems with split gears. The problem is obvious, an oversize axle (to get a
            > tight grip) is pressed into a plastic gear imparting expanding pressure on
            > the gear. In old days they would knurl the axle which had ten times more grip
            > than a smooth axle so the fit didn't have to be as tight but this costs more
            > and the knurling had to be very precise.
            > Repairing split ones is impossible. Getting more and hoping for better luck
            > is the best solution. A famous slot car solution was to take a good set of
            > wheels with gear and boil it in water, this supposedly stress releived the
            > plastic gear. I can NOT vouch for this solution, just pass it on.
            > Loco Doc
            >
            > In a message dated 9/1/01 3:22:24 AM Central Daylight Time, tach@...
            > writes:
            > << I've discovered 2 split axle gears on my kitbashed HOn3 Ferrobus, with no
            > appearant reason. I've never seen this before, and wonder what may be the
            > cause. I haven't used the model for about 1 month, and discovered the cracked
            > gears as I wanted to run it yesterday. The gears are made of acetal plastic,
            > is there a possibility to glue them back together? I do have 2 spare
            > wheelsets of the same type, which aren't cracked(yet). Any hints & tips are
            > greatly appreciated.
            > Boris >>
            >

            > HOn3 list web pages are:
            > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

          • Robert Bell
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
              At 11:32 AM 9/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >Split plastic gears have been a problem for years. Athearn axle gears are
              >prone to the problem and early Proro 2000 BL-2s and FA-2s in particular.

              Since you mentioned the Proto 2000 BL-2's, I need a set of gear for
              one. Who, Where, When and How much????

            • rick shoup
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
                About 25 years ago I was extensively in HO Traction.
                I bought from some importer a beautiful, well running
                flat car with center cab freight motor.
                It used 4 small white plastic gears to transmit power
                from the motor in the cab to each truck.
                Well you know the rest I set it aside for a few
                months while I built more layout
                and discovered the gears had cracked.
                Such disappointment.
                I sold it for about 1/10th the price because
                I could not bear to look at it longer.
                Sad story.
                Except I changed to EBT NG. All's well that ends well.
                Regards, Rick Shoup