Coffee table now acronyms

  • Al Sandrini
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 8:31 AM
      The local railroad club in Bakersfield (Kern County) California was contimplating
      naming the fictious club layout the Kern River and Pacific until the acronym was
      realized.

      Al Sandrini

      Mike Conder wrote:

      Reminds me a bit of an industrial RR in southern New Mexico from Separ on the
      Sp to a new smelter named the Hidalgo Smelter. They had an informal
      "contest" for a name, & one finalist was the "Separ-Hidalgo Industrial
      Transit" ... until they did the acronym!
    • Edward Loechler
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 9:55 AM
        I once was a caver, but lived in the city. When we couldn't get out to
        real caves, a number of us would occassionally explore storm sewers,
        calling ourselves the "American Sewering Society". But we were young and
        knew what we were doing acronymically. It also seemed appropriate given
        how one occassionally must travel in caves.

        Ed
      • Anne Ogborn
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 10:06 AM
          The narrow gauge at the Golden Gate Model RR Club in San Francisco
          has a whole ficticious history. Supposedly owned by a man named "Story",
          it eventually merged with the West Side Lumber Co., becoming the....

          West Side Story....

          John Allen's advice not to have pun railroad names should be taken
          seriously.

          --
          Anne Ogborn

          Need motors? HOn30? Try Annie's Depot -
          http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/index.html
        • Steve Wesolowski
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 10:55 AM
            Al,
            What is wrong with KRP?
            Unless they thought KRP was too much like that fictional TV series' call sign
            for their Radio Station in Cincinatti, WKRP?
            Unless they thought the initials would be KRAP? Might attract more young
            members with boom-boxes that way...
            But, hey, get 'real': Does/did anybody ever use a letter for the 'and'? Not the
            Colorado and Southern or the Denver and Rio Grande, Western, et al.

            But, thanks for your inspiration: Now i wanna rename one or more of my roads so
            their initials spells something silly like KRP, FWB is kinda dull by comparison
            (Falling Water & Boomtown, aka Fiddletown Winery & Buzztown).
            steve w

            Al Sandrini wrote:

            > The local railroad club in Bakersfield (Kern County) California was contimplating
            > naming the fictious club layout the Kern River and Pacific until the acronym was
            > realized.
            >
            > Al Sandrini
            >
            > Mike Conder wrote:
            >
            > Reminds me a bit of an industrial RR in southern New Mexico from Separ on the
            > Sp to a new smelter named the Hidalgo Smelter. They had an informal
            > "contest" for a name, & one finalist was the "Separ-Hidalgo Industrial
            > Transit" ... until they did the acronym!
            >

            > HOn3 list web pages are:
            > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

          • Clark Womack
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1 11:28 AM
              And yet, John Allen's "pun railroad name" was probably the most famous ever.
              Clark Womack

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1 12:32 PM
                My narrow gauge is the:
                "Schroon, Stillwater, Speculator and Southwestern"

                The acronym ain't so intereting ("SSSS"), but it did give rise to our motto:
                "The Four S Through the Forest".

                Ed
              • Al Sandrini
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1 1:07 PM
                  Clark,

                  I read somewhere that he grew tired of the name.

                  Big Al from Cal

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1 1:28 PM
                    Best name I've ever seen for a model RR is the Fiddlefoot & Frogbottom,
                    an N scale 1870's pike.

                    --
                    Anne Ogborn

                    Need motors? HOn30? Try Annie's Depot -
                    http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/index.html
                  • Gene Maruszewski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1 1:36 PM
                      ...."John Allen's advice not to have pun railroad names should be taken
                      seriously."

                      I call my lil pike based just north of San Francisco the Sonoma & Marin
                      R.R..
                      Colors?
                      Black 'n' blue of course.

                      I don't like to take anything too seriously.
                    • purgatory@runbox.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1 2:43 PM
                        --- In HOn3@y..., Al Sandrini <mrbnf@p...> wrote:
                        > Clark,
                        >
                        > I read somewhere that he grew tired of the name.

                        Al,

                        You are correct. In the John Allen book he said if he had it to do
                        over again, he would name it differently.

                        Paul Richardson
                      • Anne Ogborn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1 10:25 PM
                          > I call my lil pike based just north of San Francisco the Sonoma & Marin
                          > R.R..
                          > Colors?
                          > Black 'n' blue of course.
                          >
                          > I don't like to take anything too seriously.

                          Is it black & blue horizontal stripes with a red heart in upper left?
                          (unofficial sm flag colors)