Re: [HOn3] Coffee table layout #1 trackwork nearing completion - but what to call it?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31 10:53 PM
      philip_hermsmeyer@... wrote:

      > ...Anyway, the point of all this babbling is a request to those
      > that have come up with good fictional road names. I need one
      > please....

      Moly Mines & Climax RR?
      Climax Rails?
      Surely not Climax Scenic RR!
      Kokomo Climax Supply RR ... the KCS?
      Climb Ax, Summit & Southern ..the CASS Ry?

      Reminds me a bit of an industrial RR in southern New Mexico from Separ on the
      Sp to a new smelter named the Hidalgo Smelter. They had an informal
      "contest" for a name, & one finalist was the "Separ-Hidalgo Industrial
      Transit" ... until they did the acronym!

      Mike Conder

      And Sandy Eggo? Love it!
    • Anne Ogborn
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
        > - Water WILL loosen Elmer's white glue - and your track -
        You're probably using 'school glue' - use the real Elmers white glue,
        or else the yellow carpenters glue.

        --
        Anne Ogborn

        Need motors? HOn30? Try Annie's Depot -
        http://www.idiom.com/~anniepoo/depot/index.html
      • Anne Ogborn
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
          > - N-scale rail-joiners WILL NOT fit on ME HOn3 code 70 track

          Yes, the N scale joiners are a tighter fit. I much prefer reasonably
          loose joiners followed by soldering the rail.

          > - I DON'T like pre-weathered track - it's a bear to clean up
          > before soldering.

          A fiberglass eraser also works. Of course, if you want the rail to look
          good you have to go back and weather the joints anyway, so why not just
          do the entire rail?

          --

        • philip_hermsmeyer@hp.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
            --- In HOn3@y..., Anne Ogborn <anniepoo@n...> wrote:

            Thanks Anne,

            Yep, you're absolutely right... now that I think of it,
            I borrowed the Elmer's from my 6 year-old daughter. I
            guess it's pretty important for glues to be water soluble
            in the first grade!

            I've switched to a water-resistant brand I picked up at
            Home Depot.

            Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming weathered track or
            ME. I used mostly Code 83 ME track on my PRR layout, and
            it worked like a dream. But that was non-weathered track
            on cork/Homasote/spikes - this was my first try with
            Elmer's on Woodland Scenics foam and their hydrocal
            impregnated cloth.

            And I remembered too late that Mr. Furlow used N-scale
            rail joiners on SHINOHARA track in his San Juan Central
            book for Kalmbach.

            I don't have any Shinohara handy, but I guess the base of
            the rail in their design is much narrower than that of
            ME's track. Using the ME joiners on ME track is pure
            rail-joiner bliss, which I guess makes sense.

            Phil Hermsmeyer
            Sandy Eggo
          • purgatory@runbox.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
              --- In HOn3@y..., Anne Ogborn <anniepoo@n...> wrote:
              You're probably using 'school glue' - use the real Elmers white glue,
              or else the yellow carpenters glue.
              Water will loosen elmer's white glue too. The MAJOR difference
              between the school glue and regular white glue is humidity will cause
              the school glue to break it's bond. NEVER use school glue to build
              structures. If you do they will look like earthquake victims at some
              future date.

              BTW, the yellow glue does not dry clear and you should use the white
              glue for ballast. The yellow will not breakdown with water. This is a
              bad thing if you decide at some point to change your track plan or it
              you need to replace a piece of track for some reason. If you use
              white glue it will work just fine.

              Paul Richardson
              Purgatory & Devil River Railroad
              Garland, Texas