MDC HOn3 2-8-0

  • fred1945@bellatlantic.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2001
      I have an MDC 2-8-0 conversion in mind. I'd like to convert the MDC
      HOn3 2-8-0 into an EBT-like 2-8-2, as well as lower the
      superstructure just a bit. I remember an article giving a
      blow-by-blow on how to do this. Can anyone tell me when, where, and
      what magazine that article was featured in?

      Also, what would be the absolute best trailing truck to obtain, from
      what manufacturer can it be obtained from. It also occurs to me that
      I remember there being available at some time a NWSL Remotoring
      and/or Regearing kit, at least for the older engines. Is something
      along these lines available for the newer MDC engines?

      Thanks,

      Fred "Phread" Voelcker
    • Robert Bell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2001
        At 01:43 AM 07/06/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >I have an MDC 2-8-0 conversion in mind. I'd like to convert the MDC
        >HOn3 2-8-0 into an EBT-like 2-8-2, as well as lower the
        >superstructure just a bit. I remember an article giving a
        >blow-by-blow on how to do this. Can anyone tell me when, where, and
        >what magazine that article was featured in?

        "A poor man's K-27 from an MDC kit" Jan/Feb 1984 NG&SLG

        "EBT Mike from an MDC 2-8-0" Mar/Apr 1981 NG&SLG

        Also look at: Oct '79 MR
        Mar/Apr '80 NG&SLG
        July '81 MR

      • Fred Voelcker
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2001
          Bob,

          Many thanks. That was quick. I appreciate your help!

          Cheers!

          Phread

          Robert Bell wrote:

          > At 01:43 AM 07/06/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          > >I have an MDC 2-8-0 conversion in mind. I'd like to convert the MDC
          > >HOn3 2-8-0 into an EBT-like 2-8-2, as well as lower the
          > >superstructure just a bit. I remember an article giving a
          > >blow-by-blow on how to do this. Can anyone tell me when, where, and
          > >what magazine that article was featured in?
          >
          > "A poor man's K-27 from an MDC kit" Jan/Feb 1984 NG&SLG
          >
          > "EBT Mike from an MDC 2-8-0" Mar/Apr 1981 NG&SLG
          >
          > Also look at: Oct '79 MR
          > Mar/Apr '80 NG&SLG
          > July '81 MR

          > HOn3 list web pages are:
          > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
          > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
          > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

        • Duncan Harvey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2001
            Fred,
            There are a few more articles on assembling and
            modifying the MDC loco that have not been mentioned. One of
            the best is in the Gazette on p. 24-26 of the 9/77 issue.
            Others are: 3-4/85 Model Railroading, 1/78 Gazette, 11/77
            Gazette, 8/81 RMC, 7-8/80 Gazette, 5/79 Railroad Modeler,
            sp/78 Great World Of Model Railroading. In answer to your
            other question, yes, NWSL does make conversion kits for both
            the old and the newer ng locos. Both are readily
            available. Caboose Hobbies has both in stock and has for
            well over a year. Hope this information is of help. Good
            luck.

            Duncan Harvey

            fred1945@... wrote:

            > I have an MDC 2-8-0 conversion in mind. I'd like to
            > convert the MDC
            > HOn3 2-8-0 into an EBT-like 2-8-2, as well as lower the
            > superstructure just a bit. I remember an article giving a
            >
            > blow-by-blow on how to do this. Can anyone tell me when,
            > where, and
            > what magazine that article was featured in?
            >
            > Also, what would be the absolute best trailing truck to
            > obtain, from
            > what manufacturer can it be obtained from. It also occurs
            > to me that
            > I remember there being available at some time a NWSL
            > Remotoring
            > and/or Regearing kit, at least for the older engines. Is
            > something
            > along these lines available for the newer MDC engines?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Fred "Phread" Voelcker
            >

            > HOn3 list web pages are:
            > http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/archive/Hon3/
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/HOn3/

            > of Service.

          • Fred Voelcker
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2001
              Thanks Duncan. I'm going to save this information so I'll know where to
              look after I find an HOn3 2-8-0 kit (evidently they're a little scarce
              at the moment?).

              Phread

            • ftgcss
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                Hi all,

                I'm posting here in a desperate effort to locate some of MDC's HOn3
                outside frame 2-8-0 kits. I've always liked these kits and despite
                what some people say have always been able to make very good running
                locomotives out of them. Unfortunatly seems MDC gave up the ghost and
                it could be forever or never before Athern decides to produce these
                locomotives again. With that said, if anyone has some of these kits
                and would be willing to part with some or knows where I can get my
                hands on one or two, I'd apprecaite if you could contact me of list at
                ftgc@...

                Thanks for your time,
                Scott Dean
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                  Have you tried Ebay? They show up there rather frequently, sometimes at a good price.

                  Mike Conder

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                    --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@y...> wrote:
                    > Have you tried Ebay? They show up there rather frequently,
                    sometimes at a good price.

                    > Mike Conder
                    >
                    > ftgcss <ftgc@c...> wrote:,
                    >
                    > > I'm posting here in a desperate effort to locate some of MDC's
                    HOn3outside frame 2-8-0 kits....

                    Hi Mike,

                    Yes I comb through ebay everyday...well everyday I can. That is
                    where I got my last one, but know that I'm looking for another they
                    seemed to have dried up.

                    Scott Dean
                  • HOn3MRR@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                      In a message dated 8/16/2005 5:35:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      ftgc@... writes:

                      With that said, if anyone has some of these kits
                      and would be willing to part with some or knows where I can get my
                      hands on one or two, I'd apprecaite if you could contact me of list at
                      ftgc@...

                      Thanks for your time,
                      Scott Dean

                      Two words Scott.......E-BAY!

                      Bill Martin
                      Live Oak, Texas
                      HOn3 Presque Isle Northern RR

                    • HOn3MRR@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2005
                        In a message dated 8/16/2005 8:31:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        ftgc@... writes:

                        but know that I'm looking for another they
                        seemed to have dried up.

                        Scott Dean

                        AND Just think of all the horrid and nasty things that were said about the
                        sorry, out of scale, hard to work on, hard to assemble, no detail, poor
                        running, MDC NG kits!

                        How soon we forget................Good Luck! I'm keeping my stash of kits,
                        BTW, waiting for the price to go through the roof, I have to supplement my
                        SocSec someway!

                        Just kidding........hang in there, there are a ton of them out there, they
                        will show up, when this flood of new plastic and die cast stuff turns up on our
                        shores! Interesting MDC the scourge of modeling skills the die cast and
                        plastic, model railroading Edsels of our day........are being replace by
                        (TaaaaDaaaaaa) diecast and plastic, with a socially acceptable amount of brass
                        thrown in just to make them palatable!