Re: [HOn3] New Item of Interest

    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2001
      Yes, absolutely. No difference between the tow in the affected areas. I
      have two kits intended to go into 2-6-0's.

      Mike Conder

      Edward Loechler wrote:

      > Jim wrote:
      > >I have just reviewed Roundbell's conversion kit for the FED 4-4-0's. I
      > >have been running one of Wayne's converted 4-4-0's for several months...
      >
      > Will the kit fit the FED 2-6-0?
    • Steffen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi Jim, does Roundbell's FED Spartan kis have an gearhead and a
        flywheel in ???

        Steffen

        --- In HOn3@y..., Jim Vail <akacoot@p...> wrote:
        > I have just reviewed Roundbell's conversion kit for the FED 4-4-
        0's. I
        > have been running one of Wayne's converted 4-4-0's for several
        months
        > (he asked me not to review it earlier while he waited for more
        motors)
        > and it is positively the best running FED loco I have ever seen! It
        > starts and stops smoothly, runs quietly, and pulls 2 plastic
        passenger
        > cars over my 2 to 3% grades at a realistic speed (reported as
        28smph @
        > 12vdc - about the same as a hi-grade Westside or PSC C16). The kit
        is
        > not just the Faulhauber motor, but includes flywheels and
        instructions
        > and parts to convert the tender to all-wheel electrcal pickup, add
        a new
        > piano wire drive shaft, and add a front truck centering spring. No
        > critical machining is required, total installation time is reported
        as
        > about 3 hours, and Roundbell will even install assemble the drive
        shaft
        > in your existing plastic drive yoke if you send it in with your
        order.

        > Again, this is the best running FED 4-4-0 I have ever had the
        pleasure
        > to operate! This is Roundbell kit #K-2 and goes for around $100 +
        S&H.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
          Steffen wrote:

          > Hi Jim, does Roundbell's FED Spartan kis have an gearhead and a
          > flywheel in ???
          >
          > Steffen

          The kit includes flywheels installed on the Faulhaber motor, but uses the
          original gear tower in the FED 4-4-0. But it runs very smooth with only the
          very slightest gear noise - comparable with any of the new brass locos coming
          out. .

          Jim
        • Edward Loechler
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
            Does the Faulhaber motor for the FED 4-4-0 also fit the FED 2-6-0? Anyone
            know?

            Ed
          • boone@aloha.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
              >Does the Faulhaber motor for the FED 4-4-0 also fit the FED 2-6-0? Anyone
              >know?
              >
              >Ed

              Ed: As this whole remotor kit is not much more than the basic idea I
              shared for remotoring FED engines some time ago in the Gazette, and since
              my approach fits either quite well, I see no reason that it would not do.

              However, I have not seen one...only the photos.

              Aloha, Boone
            • George Gilbert
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                Photos? I have seen a lot of messages about this kits but no photos. Are
                they published ( on the web ) anywhere?
                George Gilbert

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 6/1/01 5:07:19 PM Central Daylight Time, loechler@...
                  writes: << Does the Faulhaber motor for the FED 4-4-0 also fit the FED
                  2-6-0? Anyone know? Ed >>

                  The tenders and drive to the locomotive are identical on the FED 4-4-0 and
                  2-6-0 so the same K-2 kit works identically on both the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0. The
                  parts that give electrical pickup to the 2 pilot wheels on the 4-4-0 (yes 4
                  wheel electrical pickup off each rail) can be used to have the pilot wheel
                  pickup electricity on the 2-6-0. The electricity is transmitted to the tender
                  by the drawbar (no extra wires or plugs) and the driveshaft is 1/64" in
                  diameter (almost invisible). The small drive shaft mounts into a short piece
                  of the origional white plastic driveshaft that drives the universal ball on
                  the worm shaft inside the cab (if you send origional plastic driveshaft with
                  order Roundbell will mount it on the new drive shaft for you). The driveshaft
                  is permanently mounted to the motor by a universal so can't fall out when
                  tender is disengaged from loco. The tender picks up from all 4 wheels on the
                  firemans side just like any other brass engine. The top of the tender does
                  not have to be cut open to clear the motor. The 7200 RPM motor and duel
                  flywheels and the origional 30/1 gear ratio (the origional gearing is not
                  modified which makes the conversion so easy and fast) gives a 28 scale miles
                  per hour at 12 volt track speed and incredible low speeds because of the COG
                  FREE performance of the micro motor. The Faulhaber micro-motor and 2
                  precision flywheels (and excellent elerctical pickup)make for an exceedingly
                  quiet and smooth runner.
                  As built the FEDs had 2 wheels picking up off each rail and a very
                  cheap and noisy motor that ran at WARP speed WHEN it was getting electrical
                  pickup.
                  Instellation takes about 3 hours and requires basic hand tools; X Acto,
                  pin vice and drills, soldering iron and a Dremel is useful. No critical
                  machining is required, step by step instructions with diagrams are included.
                  K-2 kit FED/ Spartan Series 4-4-0/2-6-0 HOn3 or HO Price $100
                  K-1 kit Westside HOn3 C-16 (see review March 2001 Gazette page 12) still
                  available. Price $100
                  plus $5 shipping per order. For those lacking confidence in their skills,
                  Roundbell will do the complete conversion for you for an additional $100.

                  Roundbell Hobby Products (home of "Loco Doc")
                  1414 N. Horseshoe Dr.
                  Sugar Land, Tx 77401
                  (713)667-7762
                  I will have a table at Salt Lake City Narrow Gauge convention. Wayne
                  Weiss
                • RoundBell@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
                    In a message dated 6/1/01 10:57:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    grgilbert@... writes:

                    << Photos? I have seen a lot of messages about this kits but no photos. Are
                    they published ( on the web ) anywhere?
                    George Gilbert

                    Not much to see, just a Faulhaber motor with a flywheel on each end siliconed
                    to the floor of the tender and a 1/64" shaft running foreward into the back
                    of the cab. The unique part is some specially designed little bits and pieces
                    of wire, a custom made washer and a bronze spring that accomplish all the
                    improvements. Just ask Jim Vale how well it works.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
                      > << Photos? I have seen a lot of messages about this kits but no photos. Are
                      > they published ( on the web ) anywhere?
                      > George Gilbert

                      There will be a photo in the July Gazette review. However, I was just trying to
                      give the list an advance "heads-up".