Re: [HOn3] Re: DCC questions (Kinda long)

  • rgsnut@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
      In a message dated 4/2/01 10:07:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      sonjandoug@... writes:

      << Basically, my only complaint is with the tiny DZ-121 decoders. I
      have two on the layout, one in a c-16 and one in a wayne-body
      Goose. If I want to run an analog (no decoder) engine, it plays
      hell with the addressing of the DZ-121s. My only analog engine
      is a Katsumi C-19 that runs like a champ; I'm loathe to remotor it
      just yet, because it does run so well. But that means the C-16
      and the goose have to be on dead tracks when the C-19 is
      running. >>

      Doug
      Have you tried contacting Digitrax about the problem?
      They are very cooperative and helpful with these type things - it only costs
      a phone call!
      rgsnut
      (I'm using Digitrax too - and have had no decoder problems with teh DZ121's -
      and I do run an analog Orion RGS #20 4-6-0 because it runs so nice I hate to
      do anything to change it!)
    • fwatson
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
        Loco Doc:

        Track is set with NMRA track gauge and wheels also check o.k., but this is
        older brass that has very thick wheels.
        Old United stuff.
        Any suggestion of what might be painted on the back of these over thick
        wheels as insulation??

        Frank Watson
        fwatson@...
      • fwatson
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
          Brett P.

          Thanks for the confirmation on my shorting problem with the Shinohara
          switches. I am currently trying to RIP those I can or just ripping them
          out and rebuilding to isolate the point rails and have the off side dead.
          It seems to work, but is something I wish had found and done earlier.
          In the past (when I was younger) I built my switches (stub), but this 7th
          layout, I wanted to get into operation sooner.
          I counted the feathers before the chicken hatched.
          thanks

          Frank Watson
        • rgsnut@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
            fwatson@... writes:

            << Any suggestion of what might be painted on the back of these over thick
            wheels as insulation?? >>

            Frank
            I've tried a clear enamel and it works OK for a while but eventually wears
            off. Final solution for me was to convert turnouts with frog polarity
            switched by turnout control and point rails always same polarity as stock
            rail.
            Steve Z
            rgsnut
          • RoundBell@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2001
              In a message dated 4/2/01 12:07:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
              sonjandoug@... writes:

              << If I want to run an analog (no decoder) engine, it plays
              hell with the addressing of the DZ-121s. My only analog engine
              is a Katsumi C-19 that runs like a champ; I'm loathe to remotor it
              just yet, because it does run so well. But that means the C-16
              and the goose have to be on dead tracks when the C-19 is
              running. >>
              Lenz has an even smaller decoder and it doesn't have the troubles
              of the Digitrax DZ-120. Loco Doc
            • RoundBell@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 7, 2001
                fwatson@... writes: << I have a constant problem with shorts that I
                think is from
                the point track against the back of the locomotive drivers. >>

                If wheels are in gauge and point rails are in gauge (there is a test tab on
                Mark 4 NMRA gauges for distance between the point rail that the wheel is
                rolling on and the back side clearence to the unused point rail ). IF THIS
                PART OF SWITCH GAUGE IS IN GAUGE AND WHEELS ARE IN GAUGE YOU CAN NOT HAVE A
                SHORT. Rail Craft switches are very scale and definately would be a problem
                but they do not meet this "flange fillet to flange back maximum allowable"
                gauge.
                The only case where their could be an exception is flangeless wheels
                and even here the loco would have to pull to the inside of a curving route on
                a curved switch and that just wouldn't happen. Loco Doc