Re: russia iron

  • wayne_walling@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 1999
      We used titanium on aircraft exhaust tracts and heat shields. The sheet
      titanium was hard to work and very brittle and tough. Hard to form effectively.
      It started out as a dull, blue/grey finish when new. And, it was (when I
      was working with it, some thirty years ago) very hard to weld - probably not
      now though, with the new technologies available.
      Maybe you can find some sort of 'soft' titanium?
      W.

      Wayne L. Walling
      Facilities Operations
      Washington State University
      Pullman, WA 99164-1150
      PH: (509)335-9038
    • Anne Ogborn
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 1999
        Wayne Walling wrote:

        > From: wayne_walling@... (Wayne Walling)
        >
        > We used titanium on aircraft exhaust tracts and heat shields. The sheet
        > titanium was hard to work and very brittle and tough. Hard to form effectively.
        > It started out as a dull, blue/grey finish when new. And, it was (when I
        > was working with it, some thirty years ago) very hard to weld - probably not
        > now though, with the new technologies available.
        > Maybe you can find some sort of 'soft' titanium?
        > W.

        There are two forms commonly available - 'commercial pure' Ti and
        some allow.

        It's a myth that it's an extremely expensive metal. It's just rather tough
        to work, so you only use it when it's special properties are needed.

        I once put interference coatings on it. The ones that didn't turn out (were too
        thick) looked like Russia iron.

        Annie
      • wayne_walling@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 1999
          Anne,
          You might build up a business with your ideas - titanium & interference
          coatings - great Russia Iron!
          Wayne

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 1999
            Wayne Walling wrote:

            > From: wayne_walling@... (Wayne Walling)
            >
            > Anne,
            > You might build up a business with your ideas - titanium & interference
            > coatings - great Russia Iron!
            > Wayne

            LOL! Well, there's actually not all that much call for it. If the process
            ends up being painful to do, I'll make enough to supply the free world
            with scale Russia Iron and sell it, but it won't make me rich.

            Annie
          • wayne_walling@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 1999
              Annie (sp?),
              You would make the world a richer place though!