54047Re: enough of the locktite, geeze! any what HOn3 brass is good?

  • Rich Strebendt
    Jul 1, 2008
      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rdressel@...> wrote:

      > I realize there aren't any new ones coming out, but what of the
      > older stock, like PFM, Westside, United, etc, whom makes great
      > K27's//37's. Other HOn3 ?. There are others I haven't mentioned. but
      > anyone go ahead and chime in:
      >
      > My requirements for good running include:
      >
      > 1. realistic speeds for the engine modeled.
      > 2. Flywheel included? nec for smooth operation.
      > 3. all wheel pickup?
      > 4. slow speeds.
      > 5. good pulling ability.
      > 6. good details or better.
      > 7. reliable non rubber band drives?
      > 8. reasonable running on Model rr curves?

      My experience with brass models is that they are great for static
      display, but are very poor performers on a layout. Brass is
      manufactured for collectors and speculators, not for layout operators.
      If you want something that looks pretty and your wallet can take the
      punishment, by all means buy brass. If you want something that runs
      at realistic speeds, operates smoothly at all speeds, pulls reasonably
      long trains on reasonably built layouts, buy white metal and plastic.

      Rich Strebendt
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic