12495RPO & BAGGAGE CAR ENDS

  • nsuydam@family-network.net
    Dec 1, 2000
      <<original message>>
      <<<<In a message dated 27/11/00 16:30:21 GMT Standard Time,
      John.Templeton@... writes:

      << Also the ends were painted black with sand mixed into the paint, used
      as a fire safety measure.

      John,
      Thanks for the advice - my model is one of those without the 35 pound rail.
      But the black painted ends is new - was it done throughout the life of the
      cars or was there a specific period?
      Mark>>>>>

      Mark

      there were basically 2 different RPO cars after the mid 30's when the 2 name
      trains were outfitted ( the Shivano and the San Juan) by the D&RGW. The
      long RPO cars did not have end platforms and were re-built to U.S. Post
      office regulations. I remember an article Charlie Getz wrote on these cars
      a while back and the rail in the ends of the cars were for the safety of the
      Postal Employees working in the car. In the event of an accident, they were
      supposed to prevent the adjacent car from telescoping into the RPO and
      killing the postal clerks. I understand the black paint was actually
      roofing tar and was to reduce the risk of the car catching fire in the event
      a spark from the loco lodged on the forward end of the car. It is my
      understanding that all the long RPO cars in these 2 trains were so equipped.
      After they were transferred to work train service in the early 50's, they
      still kept the rails on the ends but were painted gray. I remember watching
      the 'Friends' repaint one of them in the summer of '99' after being restored
      to its work train configuration.

      The 'short' RPO is what LaBelle makes and it was used on the other runs like
      the Santa Fe mixed train. The short cars did not have rails on the ends but
      I'm not sure about the black ends. None of the RPO cars had end doors for
      security reasons. The short cars on the SantaFe mixed run had roof walks
      and hand railings added which make those particular cars very unique. These
      allowed the brakemen to climb over the tops of the cars to set the brakes
      the baggage cars had walks also). Another thing to note, the long cars
      were set up for electric lights whereas the short cars used kerosene. I
      think the RPO used on the Santa Fe line was set up for both electricity and
      kerosene since the car was attached to the San Juan on the first leg of the
      trip from Alamosa to Antonito. In that train, they tapped into the trains
      generated electricity from the Delco power plant in one of the Baggage cars.
      After being switched out at Antonito and starting the rest of the trip as
      the Santa Fe mixed train, they had no electrical generating capacity and
      hence had to use the kerosene lights.

      E&B made both long and short RPO cars in the 'bash-kits'. The plans with
      the long cars only show putting square plastic in the place of the rail, I'd
      recommend using the rail on the ends. Another note as these kits are
      'stylized' RPO cars as noted on the box label. They are not exact models.
      The 'long' model is still too short to be correct, but it captures the feel.
      There was an article in the Gazette about someone who made the Salida Wreck
      Train and a portion of that article explained how he lengthened an E&B long
      RPO to the correct length.

      Hope this info helps.......................NORM.............
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic