Volume 27 Issue 6

  • Larry Sivertson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2006
      HOH-LD-News
      Vol. 27, Issue 6
      May 6, 2006

      Copyright (C) 2006 Hearing Loss Web. All rights reserved.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Table of Contents
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      - Article 1: Captioned Radio Report - Part 2

      - Article 2: Aspirin Can Prevent Hearing Loss From Ototoxic Medication

      - Article 3: Massachusetts General Hospital Notes Hair Cell Regeneration
      Progress

      - Article 4: Short Takes

      Our advertisers make it possible for us to provide HOH-LD-News
      as a free service. Please let them know you appreciate their
      support, and please mention that you saw their message in
      HOH-LD-News.

      - Advertisers in this Issue
      First Premium Placement:
      Mother's Day Specials at Sound Clarity
      Second Premium Placement:
      Phone Products on Sale at Harris Communications
      Third Premium Placement:
      IHHD Online Educational Opportunities
      Classified Section:
      Three online stores, one captioning company, one
      cue/sign summer camp, one deaf poker tournament and two
      employment opportunities

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Contact information and disclaimers are at the end of this newsletter.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Sound Clarity, Inc.
      Buy Mom a special gift for Mother's Day. Take advantage of many
      special prices on amplified telephones, hearing aid supplies,
      doorbell systems, alarm clocks and more. We'll even gift wrap
      it for you for free and include a Mother's Day card. Just
      request it in the Order Comments box at checkout.

      Hearing Aid Batteries always shipped FREE anywhere in the U.S.

      For more information go to http://www.soundclarity.com/hohnews
      or contact us at mailto:info@...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Article 1: Captioned Radio Report - Part 2
      By Cheryl Heppner
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Editor: Here's another great report from Cheryl Heppner on the
      topic of Captioned Radio. I admit to being a bit skeptical when
      I first started thinking about captioned radio; but now I'm a
      real believer! Read Cheryl's compelling case for the technology
      and her report on how we'll get there.

      If you'd like to share this report, please be sure to credit
      NVRC. (See credit at the end of the article.)

      This is part two of two parts.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      What I Said

      So what did I tell the conference attendees?

      - My radio "cred" -- my father is a ham radio operator who
      advertises it proudly with his license plate WA3YFN. Decades
      ago, he started a ham radio group and he served in the Navy as a
      radioman in World War II.

      - Radio has been a constant in my life since I was born. My
      family loved music and always had the radio on in our house. We
      got together with my grandparents to listen to the Red Sox games
      in the living room, ever hopeful that the team might not break
      our hearts.

      - After I became deaf shortly before my seventh birthday, radio
      became something I couldn't access. My husband Fred loves to
      listen to the radio any time we are driving together. I always
      know when he is listening to "Click and Clack" -- a humorous
      public radio program by two brothers about car repair -- because
      of the way he laughs.

      - There are 28 to 32 million people with hearing loss, depending
      on which authority you ask.

      - People who are deaf and hard of hearing don't have so the same
      choices for information as people who can hear. NOAA weather
      radios give limited text. Only a small number of cell phones are
      hearing aid compatible. Our specialized phones and
      telecommunications equipment can be useless without power, and
      most do not work with off-the-shelf batteries. More of us are
      going to the Internet for our news, but video isn't captioned.
      Pagers and PDAs are great for text alerts, but they are not good
      at giving information relevant to our particular location.
      Television with captioning requires power; small battery-powered
      TVs don't have caption capability.

      - Radio can be useless to us, but they are listed as a top item
      for any emergency kit. Radio is the one thing that could help us
      fill a crucial gap in receiving emergency information. We set up
      our homes and workplaces with our specialized equipment, but we
      can't easily carry it all with us. When we're on the road or in
      remote places, in times when there is no power, and in other
      situations, radio can be key. An NVRC survey showed that about
      1/3 of government workers with hearing loss were not at their
      workplace when the WTC and Pentagon were hit on 9/11.

      - I became more involved in pushing for captioned radio because
      of 9/11, particularly after hearing from so many deaf and hard
      of hearing consumers for research and reports. The experiences
      of Katrina hit home the importance of radio; when all other
      communication systems failed, radio broadcasts were sometimes
      the one source of information.

      - I personally need captioned radio. Without it, how can I have
      control over my husband? TV has its feature for parents who
      don't want their kids to watch certain programs. How do I know I
      want Fred to listen to Howard Stern?

      - Accessibility features end up helping everyone. A classic
      example is the ramp. Early on, much fuss was made about the
      expense of adding ramps, but they're appreciated by parents with
      strollers, delivery people. Captions are going mainstream. There
      are more and more reports of people who can hear that find them
      useful. Some hearing people who always watch TV with the
      captions on because of a deaf or hard of hearing family member
      are reporting that they now dislike watching TV without
      captions. They've learned they get more information with the
      captions on fast-paced shows, when the speaker has an accent,
      when the speaker is mumbling, and when a word is unfamiliar --
      or just because it reinforces and helps them retain what they
      are hearing.

      - I'm counting on them to make captioned radio happen.

      *************** (c)2006 by Northern Virginia Resource Center for
      Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons (NVRC), 3951 Pender Drive,
      Suite 130, Fairfax, VA 22030; www.nvrc.org. You do not need
      permission to share this information, but please be sure to
      credit NVRC

      Phone Products on Sale at Harris Communications

      Save 15% on any phone product on the Harris Communications
      website. Choose from popular products from Clarity, Williams
      Sound, ClearSounds and others. Many styles available including
      corded and cordless amplified phones, in-line amplifiers, loud
      ringers and much more! (Certain product restrictions may apply.
      Does not apply to products currently on sale.) This sale ends
      May 14, 2006.

      For more information, go to
      http://www.harriscomm.com/link/?www.harriscomm.com?sr=hlw
      or contact us at mailto:info@...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Article 2: Aspirin Can Prevent Hearing Loss From Ototoxic Medication
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Editor: Researchers at the University of Michigan have
      discovered that aspirin can prevent hearing loss that would
      otherwise occur in users of a common family of antibiotics. The
      obvious question is whether aspirin can prevent hearing loss
      from other medications. How about from noise exposure?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Around the world, inexpensive antibiotics known as
      aminoglycosides have been used for the past 60 years in the
      battles against acute infections and tuberculosis, as
      antibacterial prophylaxis in cystic fibrosis and other patients,
      and in other conditions. But for all of the good they do, the
      drugs also have been widely linked to irreversible hearing loss.

      Now, researchers at the University of Michigan's Kresge Hearing
      Research Institute and their Chinese colleagues, working under
      the leadership of Jochen Schacht, Ph.D., and Su-Hua Sha, M.D.,
      have found that the hearing loss can be prevented in many people
      with the use of another inexpensive, widely available
      medication: aspirin. The results appear in the April 27 issue of
      The New England Journal of Medicine.

      The researchers studied 195 patients in China who received 80 to
      160 milligrams of gentamicin (a type of aminoglycoside)
      intravenously twice daily, typically for five to seven days. Of
      those, 89 patients were given aspirin along with the antibiotic,
      and 106 were given placebos along with the antibiotic. The
      results were dramatic: The incidence of hearing loss in the
      group that was given placebos was 13 percent, while in the
      aspirin group it was just 3 percent, or 75 percent lower.

      "We would like to see the word get around to the medical
      community around the world that you can take some precautions to
      minimize the risk to your patients. Aspirin is available
      everywhere, and it's cheap," says senior author Schacht,
      professor of biological chemistry in otolaryngology at the
      University of Michigan Medical School and director of the U-M
      Health System's Kresge Hearing Research Institute. Gentamicin is
      not commonly used in the United States.

      He notes that this research builds on earlier U-M studies that
      showed promise in combating drug-induced hearing loss in the
      laboratory. "Previously we found that such a treatment works
      well in mice, but I am very excited that this worked so well in
      humans," says Schacht. "Translating animal studies into clinical
      practice is not an easy thing to do. We were fortunate that our
      extrapolation from mice to men and women worked in the first
      trial."

      The research is exciting, says lead author Sha, because hearing
      loss caused by these antibiotics is so prevalent. The incidence
      of aminoglycoside-induced hearing loss averages 8 percent but
      the numbers may be higher in developing countries, she notes,
      where aminoglycosides are frequently the only affordable
      antibiotics and are sold over the counter. No therapy currently
      exists to prevent ototoxicity.

      This research began in 1999 with a collaboration with Chinese
      hospitals. Working with Schacht, Sha - associate laboratory
      director of U-M's Kresge Hearing Research Institute's
      Biochemistry Laboratory - got in touch with her colleagues in
      China. The two traveled to China and presented their ideas, and
      ultimately began a partnership with the Fourth Military Medical
      University in Xi'an, China. The third author on the paper,
      Jian-Hua Qiu, M.D., represents the colleagues of the Fourth
      Military Medical University.

      After receiving approvals from institutional review boards at
      U-M and the Fourth Military Medical University, the
      otolaryngology department in Xi'an conducted the prospective,
      randomized, double-blind trial at Xijing Hospital and Airforce
      Chengdu Hospital from 1999 to 2003. All of the participants were
      ages 18 to 65, and were inpatients who were scheduled for
      treatment with gentamicin. Hearing damage, or ototoxicity, was
      defined as a shift from a person's baseline hearing by at least
      15 decibels at both the 6 and 8 kHz frequencies, which are the
      first affected by the drugs. The effectiveness of the gentamicin
      as an antibiotic did not lessen when it was paired with aspirin.

      Schacht notes that even though gentamicin has been linked widely
      with hearing loss, and its use has been declining in industrial
      countries, it is not practical to think that it will be replaced
      in the near future by other antibiotics because it has specific
      applications and is so inexpensive and available, especially in
      poor countries. While aspirin shows promise, and he hopes that
      health care providers pair it with gentamicin, he also notes it
      is not yet the perfect solution because of the potential side
      effects of aspirin, including gastric bleeding. And he notes
      that this is an off-label use of aspirin, which may inhibit some
      practitioners from giving it to patients in such instances.

      He hopes that further studies will lead to the development of
      new and safer antibiotics, or another drug that can be paired
      with gentamicin that has fewer side effects than aspirin. He and
      Sha are exploring partnerships with other countries to conduct
      future research.

      You're Career Oriented... Career Driven...and Hard of Hearing or Deaf
      The Institute for Persons Who Are Hard of Hearing or Deaf (IHHD)
      is a nonprofit Congressionally-funded agency dedicated to
      facilitating workplace and career advancement for aspiring
      professionals like you.

      IHHD provides important online educational opportunities to
      share experiences, access top professional leaders, and develop
      crucial communication and business skills. Choose from a number
      of programs that cover all aspects of career growth - from
      starting a business to leadership and advocacy development.

      These month-long courses are delivered online using National
      University's acclaimed state-of-the-art interactive learning
      system to provide optimal accessibility. Visit:
      http://cha.nu.edu/ec/formihhd-careerdev.html?ypd002

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Article 3: Massachusetts General Hospital Notes Hair Cell Regeneration
      Progress
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Editor: Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital continue
      to make progress on hair cell regeneration. Here's the latest
      report

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) researchers have made
      important progress in their ongoing effort to regenerate the
      inner ear's hair cells, which convert sound vibrations to nerve
      impulses. In an upcoming issue of Proceeding of the National
      Academy of Sciences they report successfully creating a mouse
      model that allows them to build on earlier findings about the
      effect of deactivating a protein that controls the growth and
      division of hair cells.

      The paper, which is receiving early online publication, also
      finds that suppressing the retinoblastoma (Rb) protein has
      different effects in specific parts of the inner ear.

      "In these first studies of the role of the Rb protein in the
      ears of postnatal mice, we have confirmed that - under the right
      conditions - mature hair cells can go through the cell cycle and
      produce new, functioning hair cells. But we've also confirmed
      that you need to block Rb reversibly and at an early stage of
      development, otherwise the hair cells will die," says Zheng-Yi
      Chen, DPhil, of the MGH Neurology Service, the study's senior
      author. In 2005 Chen was named to the Scientific American 50,
      the magazine's annual list of outstanding leaders, for this
      continuing research project.

      Named for the hair-like projections on their surfaces, hair
      cells form a ribbon of vibration sensors along the length of the
      cochlea - the organ of the inner ear that senses sound - where
      they convert sonic vibrations to electrical signals that are
      carried to the brain. The cells are very sensitive to damage
      from excessive noise, infections and toxins. Once damaged, hair
      cells do not naturally regenerate in mammals, and their death
      accounts for most types of acquired hearing loss.

      All cells grow and divide through a process called the cell
      cycle, and many proteins have been identified that control
      different cell cycle phases. In 2005 Chen's group published a
      paper in the journal Science reporting that the Rb protein,
      known to suppress the cell cycle, could be important for halting
      the cell cycle in hair cells. They used a genetically modified
      mouse strain in which Rb was no longer made in the inner ear. By
      examining the inner ears of mouse embryos - that strain did not
      survive past birth - the researchers found more hair cells in
      the knockout mice than in the ears of normal mice at the same
      stage of development. The additional cells looked and functioned
      like normal hair cells and appeared to be actively regenerating.

      For this followup study, the researchers developed a new strain
      of inner-ear Rb-knockout mice that survive for up to six months
      past birth. Their investigation of the effects of Rb deletion on
      the hair cells of the inner ear finds differences between the
      auditory portion of the organ, which controls hearing, and the
      vestibular area, which is involved with balance. While the
      Rb-negative auditory hair cells in early postnatal mice are
      dividing and growing, the cells do not mature properly and
      eventually die, resulting in the mice becoming deaf by the age
      of 3 months. Vestibular hair cells, however, appear to grow and
      mature relatively normally and continue cell division even in
      mature mice. Adult Rb-knockout mice maintain some vestibular
      function, indicating that those hair cells are contributing to
      their sense of balance at the system level.

      "We've shown that vestibular hair cell regeneration may be
      achieved and may be less of an obstacle than auditory cell
      regeneration," Chen says. "Now we need to find ways to create a
      similar system in the auditory cells, and this new model will
      help us better understand the mechanisms behind functional hair
      cell regeneration. Our next step will be developing a transient,
      reversible block of Rb function to assess its role in both types
      of hair cell." Chen is an assistant professor of Neurology of
      Harvard Medical School (HMS).

      -----

      The report's co-authors are first author Cyrille Sage, PhD, and
      Mingqian Huang, PhD, of the MGH; Melissa Vollrath, PhD, and
      David Corey, PhD, Howard Hughes Medical Institute and HMS; M.
      Christian Brown, PhD, Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary; Douglas E.
      Vetter, PhD, and Philip Hinds, PhD, Tufts-New England Medical
      Center. The research was supported by grants from the National
      Institutes of Health, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and a
      Pfizer/AFAR Innovations in Aging Research Grant.

      Massachusetts General Hospital, established in 1811, is the
      original and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical
      School. The MGH conducts the largest hospital-based research
      program in the United States, with an annual research budget of
      nearly $500 million and major research centers in AIDS,
      cardiovascular research, cancer, computational and integrative
      biology, cutaneous biology, human genetics, medical imaging,
      neurodegenerative disorders, regenerative medicine,
      transplantation biology and photomedicine. MGH and Brigham and
      Women's Hospital are founding members of Partners HealthCare
      System, a Boston-based integrated health care delivery system.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Article 4: Short Takes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Editor: Here are our picks of some additional stories that you
      may find interesting. For more, please point your browser to:
      http://www.hearinglossweb.com/news/curr.htm

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Soundless voice recognition

      In space, no one can hear you scream. Use a cell phone on a
      crowded commuter train and everyone can. Charles Jorgensen is
      working to solve both problems, using an uncanny technology
      called subvocal speech recognition. Jorgensen demonstrates it at
      his offices at NASA's Ames Research Laboratory in Mountain View,
      Calif. He attaches a set of electrodes to the skin of his throat
      and, without his opening his mouth or uttering a sound, his
      words are recognized and begin appearing on a computer screen.
      Jorgensen sees abundant applications for his technology where
      audible speech is impossible.

      http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0410/084.html

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Totally Implantable Hearing Aid in Trials

      An estimated 10-percent of the American population has hearing
      loss, that's 30 million people. Experts said only a fraction of
      that number wear hearing aids. Image, poor sound quality, and
      expense are three main reasons. The totally implantable hearing
      aid could change everything. The speech processor is imbedded
      behind the ear, and then little wires go through the mastoid
      bone directly to two other bones. The driver wire attaches to
      stapes. It vibrates the tiny bone and conducts sound into the
      inner ear. The other sensor wire is a Piezoelectric crystal
      attached to the bone connected to the eardrum.

      http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/health/9049173/detail.html

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Rock and Roll Hard of Hearing Hall of Fame

      The official selection for the 2006 Rock and Roll Hard of
      Hearing Hall of Fame (http://www.hardofhearinghalloffame.com)
      has been made. Selection criteria are based on consideration of
      an individual's body of work, and damaged inner ears because of
      music amplification and use of headphones.

      Initial Selections for 2006:
      Pete Townshend - Guitar (The Who)
      Jeff Beck - Guitar (Yardbirds)
      Eric Clapton - Guitar (Yardbirds)
      John Entwhistle - Bass Guitar (The Who)
      Mick Fleetwood - Drums (Fleetwood Mac)
      James Destri - Keyboards (Blondie)
      Bono - Vocals (U2)
      Phil Collins - Vocals (Genesis)

      http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=14068

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Classifieds
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Three online stores, one captioning company, one cue/sign summer
      camp, one deaf poker tournament and two employment opportunities
      appear in this issue. (Ads appear after this brief table of
      contents.)

      WCI - Your Single Source for Assistive Technology
      Save 15% on Clarity Phones at WCI
      http://www.weitbrecht.com

      Potomac Technology - Everything You Need Under One Roof!
      Save 15% on Alerting Systems plus Free Shipping!
      http://www.potomactech.com

      Sawyer Court Reporting
      Closed Captioning Services for the hearing impaired
      http://www.sawyercourtreporting.com/contact_info.cfm

      hearingimpaired.net
      Hearing Loss Accessories and Signage
      http://www.hearingimpaired.net

      CueSign Camp
      Baltimore, MD
      July 14 - 20
      http://www.CueSignCamp.com

      Second Annual Las Vegas World Deaf Poker Tournament
      Las Vegas, NV
      October 11
      www.deaflasvegas.com/poker

      Employment Opportunity 1
      Various Opportunities
      GLAD
      Various Southern California Locations

      Employment Opportunity 2
      Various Positions
      Kansas School for the Deaf
      Olathe, KS

      -------------------
      WCI. Providing Solutions for People with Hearing Loss.
      Save 15% on Clarity Phones at WCI
      http://www.weitbrecht.com
      -------------------

      Save 15% on Clarity Phones at WCI

      All Clarity Phones are 15% off in May! Enjoy louder, clearer
      conversations with your loved ones on Mother's Day and every
      day. Mom will love the cordless CLS45i Clarity phone with
      speakerphone capabilities in the handset and on the phone base.
      Whatever your needs, we have a Clarity phone to fit your
      lifestyle. Plus get free shipping on all orders over $75.00.

      Call us now at 1-800-233-9130 (V/TTY) or visit us online at
      http://www.weitbrecht.com

      (Use code WCI506H for free shipping).

      To receive a copy of our catalog, email sales@... to
      request it.

      WCI. Providing Solutions for People with Hearing Loss.

      -------------------
      Potomac Technology - Everything You Need Under One Roof!
      Save 15% on Alerting Systems plus Free Shipping!
      http://www.potomactech.com
      -------------------

      Save 15% on Alerting Systems plus Free Shipping!

      For a safe and secure home or business environment Potomac
      Technology is offering 15% savings on alerting systems through
      May. Choose from the dependable Simplicity and Sonic Alert
      products including a variety of telephone, doorbell, and sound
      designed to alert you to your videophone with a choice of three
      distinct flash patterns.

      Orders over $50.00 get free shipping! Visit us online at
      http://www.potomactech.com or call 1-800-433-2838 (V/TTY).

      (Use code "PTEC506H" for free shipping.)

      Potomac Technology. Everything You Need Under One Roof!

      -------------------
      Sawyer Court Reporting
      Closed Captioning Services for the hearing impaired
      http://www.sawyercourtreporting.com/contact_info.cfm
      -------------------

      news, weather, sports and meetings

      eight years experience working in closed captioning in
      captioning broadcast news, sports (soccer), arts and
      entertainment, and history international shows live for several
      companies

      for more information on rates and scheduling appointments, click
      on:
      http://www.sawyercourtreporting.com/contact_info.cfm

      to reach Sawyer Court Reporting via relay:
      voice: 816.761.5536 cell: 816.916.8042

      -------------------
      hearingimpaired.net
      Hearing Loss Accessories and Signage
      http://www.hearingimpaired.net
      -------------------

      There is no time like the present to advise and inform others
      that you cannot hear with accessories and signage from
      hearingimpaired.net - try our interesting line of products that
      are made especially for YOU. You can't blame other people for
      not knowing you cannot hear them unless you help to let them
      know with our lapel pins, stickers, stand up signs, awareness
      bracelets,window decals, safety vests, service dog supplies, and
      more ~~ a little something for everyone no matter what your
      lifestyle.

      http://www.hearingimpaired.net

      -------------------
      CueSign Camp
      Baltimore, MD
      July 14 - 20
      http://www.CueSignCamp.com
      CueSign Camp offers opportunities for campers of all ages to
      learn or refine BOTH cueing and ASL skills.

      The mentality at camp is unique - Deaf culture is celebrated,
      but so is the world of our hearing families. No need to choose
      sides! What a way to blow open your horizons!

      New this year:

      1) a teen leadership camp for D/deaf teenagers who are already
      dual-lingual and seeking an enriching week in the company of
      true peers

      2) Conference Day, where, instead of spending all your time
      studying the two languages, you get to hear about and discuss
      the cultural issues and linguistic implications of raising deaf
      children dual-lingually.

      For more information, contact Camp Director Amy Crumrine at
      mailto:CueSign@... or visit the website at:
      http://www.CueSignCamp.com

      -------------------
      Second Annual Las Vegas World Deaf Poker Tournament
      Las Vegas, NV
      October 11
      www.deaflasvegas.com/poker
      -------------------

      Gearing Up

      This is to announce that the hosts of last year's successful and
      historical 1st annual Las Vegas World Deaf Poker Tournament are
      now rolling up their sleeves for another major poker tournament.
      The 2nd annual event will be held on October 11, 2006, 6 PM, at
      the Palms Casino and Resorts, Las Vegas, Nevada.

      Ask any of the previous players and fans from last year how they
      enjoyed the experience. They will tell you how exciting it
      became. Interesting enough, after the event, several poker
      tournaments were being held due to our success. We take pride in
      creating interest among the deaf poker players throughout the
      USA. We wish them success.

      This year will be better. For example, based on 300 entries, 1st
      place winner will receive $27,000. In addition we have joined
      with DeafNation, Inc. on the World Deaf Poker Tour. It will be
      exciting. Also it is best to be playing in Las Vegas, the poker
      capital of the world. There is no place in the world like it.

      For the records, we are a non-profit 501 [c] 3 organization and
      all of us are volunteers without pay. All the net proceeds will
      go to the aid and welfare of the needy deaf communities.

      To access our web site and flyer, go to
      www.deaflasvegas.com/poker

      All players must be 21 years of age and older. Unfortunately
      this tournament is for the deaf and hard of hearings only.

      Hope to see you all in Vegas for another exciting experience.

      -------------------
      Employment Opportunity 1
      Various Opportunities
      GLAD
      Various Southern California Locations
      -------------------

      GLAD is an Affirmative Action Employer with equal opportunity
      for men, women and people with disabilities. For more
      information on the following positions, please go to:
      www.gladinc.org. The status of all positions is: Regular,
      Full-time, Non-Exempt, Full Fringe Benefits unless otherwise
      noted. All positions are open until filled.

      * Community Advocate- Los Angeles
      * Job Developer/Interpreter - Norwalk
      * LIFESIGNS Director - Los Angeles
      * LIFESIGNS Clerk- Los Angeles
      * Network IT Administrator - Los Angeles

      If interested for any of these positions then please submit
      resume and application to:

      Jeff Fetterman
      Human Resources Specialist
      Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness, Inc.
      2222 Laverna Avenue
      Los Angeles, CA 90041
      V/TDD: (323) 550-4207
      Fax #: (323)550-4204
      E-mail: jfetterman@...

      -------------------
      Employment Opportunity 2
      Various Positions
      Kansas School for the Deaf
      Olathe, KS
      -------------------

      The Kansas School for the Deaf, 450 East Park St., Olathe, KS
      66061, is currently seeking qualified individuals for the
      following positions for the 2006- 2007 school year:

      Secondary Principal **Immediate Opening**
      Elementary Teacher
      Secondary Mathematics Teacher
      Secondary English Teacher
      Anticipating Full Time Dormitory Teachers
      Substitute Teacher, Para and Dormitory

      Placement made within agency guidelines on salary schedule
      depending upon professional background and experience. KSD
      offers excellent benefits. Applicants will be screened and the
      most highly qualified applicants will be invited for an
      interview session. Positions are open until filled. KSD is
      located in the Heartland of the USA, part of the Kansas City
      metropolitan area. For area info on excellent schools and
      affordable housing check out: www.kcmo.org/ and
      www.olatheks.org/.

      For an application and a job announcement on each of these
      positions, please refer to our website at www.ksdeaf.org or
      contact Teresa Chandler, Human Resources Office, at (913)
      791-0501 (V/TTY) for further details on the positions. E-mail:
      tchandler@... Fax #: 913/780-6563

      An Equal Employment/Educational Opportunities Agency
      Tobacco Free Campus

      "KSD Embraces Diversity"

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      - Contact Information and Disclaimers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      We are very interested in your comments concerning the content
      and format of this newsletter. We want this publication to be
      useful to you. Please send your comments and suggestions to:
      hearinglossweb@...

      Visit our Website at: http://www.hearinglossweb.com

      To subscribe to this newsletter, email
      HOH-LD-News-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Yahoogroups will respond
      with a subscription email.

      To unsubscribe to this newsletter, email
      HOH-LD-News-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com. Yahoogroups will
      respond with an unsubscription email.

      Archives for this newsletter are on our website at:
      http://www.hearinglossweb.com.
      Click on "Free Email Newsletter" in the header.

      Advertising information for HOH-LD-News and Hearing Loss Web is
      available at http://www.hearinglossweb.com/Misc/adv/adv.htm.

      Publication of articles or advertisements does not constitute an
      endorsement of the products or services offered, nor of the
      companies that offer them.

      Copyright (C) 2006 Hearing Loss Web. All rights reserved.