Labor Day Weekend Activities

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      Leisurely Labor Day Weekend Action and Update for the
      Animals!

      Before you head out on the picnic to grill up some
      veggie burgers or not-dogs - please take a minute to
      remember those whose hard work and fight for the
      animals has landed them in jail. The following
      animal-rights prisoners need letters of encouragement
      and support as they sacrificed their own freedom
      making the world a safer place for the animals.

      Regardless or not if you agree with their particular
      activities we can all sympathize with their passion
      and determination to end animal cruelty. To prisoners
      letters are lifeline to the outside world. Please
      write them a not letting them know what is going on
      the struggle for animal liberation, any news updates,
      or what you or your local group is doing to keep the
      fight going.

      Remember - the strength of a movement can be judged by
      how it treats its prisoners. Let's show 'em how strong
      we are.

      U.S. Animal Rights Prisoners:

      1.) Benjamin Persky, #1410212600,George Vierno Center
          0909 Hazen Street
          East Elmhurst, NY 11370

      Or lettersforbenjamin@... (mailed off weekly).

      [Being held in jail on felony charges relating to a
      Anti-Huntington Life Sciences/World Week for Animals
      protest in April 2002.]

      2.) Peter Schnell, Reg. # 99476111
          SCI Otisville
          PO Box 1000
          Otisville, NY 10963

      [Serving 24 months for possession of incendiary
      devices. It is claimed the devices were to be used to
      torch dairy trucks.]

      3.) Matt Whyte, #99477-111
          Taft Correctional Institution
          P.O. Box 7001
          Taft, CA 93268

      [Serving 14 months for possession of incendiary
      devices. It is claimed the devices were to be used to
      torch dairy trucks.]

      4.) Bryan Pease (New Inmate)
          Faulkner County Jail
          801 Locust St.
          Conway, AR 72032

      [Sentenced to 45 days for criminal trespass during a
      demonstration against Stephen's Inc support of HLS in
      Conway Arkansas.]

      ** Bryan can only received handwritten letters on
      lined paper, no books, stamps, envelopes, cards, or
      blank paper.

      And for those who participated in the Puppy-Killer of
      the Week against Dean Rodwell and go this reply -
      Please read the SHAC response below:

      Recieved on 8/29/02 2:47 PM,
      From: Dean Rodwell at RodwellDE@... wrote:

      For the record, I resigned from Huntingdon Life
      Sciences on November 1, 2001, with 4 months notice to
      be effective on February 28, 2002, and have not been
      in the state of New Jersey since early December 2001.
      Since March 1, 2002, I am 100% independent.

      During my entire working career, of greater than 30
      years I have been working at making this world a
      better place to live for animals and mankind.

      My profession is very much aligned with the March of
      Dimes, that of preventing birth defects in both man
      and animals. I do not condone the mistreatment of
      animals or of man. Nor do I support violence or
      terrorism.  I believe education is the key to a better
      future for all.
      Dean Rodwell

      August 30th, 2002

      Dear Dean,

      Until Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty has received a
      written promise confirming you will never work for HLS
      again in any capacity, including as an independent
      consultant or doing peer reviews of HLS's 'scientific'
      reports, we will still consider you a part of this
      horrendous organization.

      SHAC views with skepticism your claim to be completely
      independent from HLS. Before publication of the latest
      SHAC newsletter (August 15th), HLS had a working phone
      number and email address listed for you. A live
      operator at the East Millstone facility located your
      phone number in the lab's Corporate Directory. You
      yourself, when called at home, said you would except a
      delivery on behalf of HLS either at the East Millstone
      office or your home. Are you sure you are completely
      done with HLS?

      Aligning your profession to that of the type of
      research the Marsh of Dimes has performed does little
      to help your image or strengthen an argument about how
      humane animal research is. What it does tell us you
      are the type of 'scientist' capable of sewing a
      kittens eyes shut for an experiments where there are
      widely known and used alternatives that do not involve
      animals. Please get in touch with the Physicians
      Committee for Responsible Medicine to learn more about
      the scientific community's objection to the March of
      Dimes research.

      SHAC also challenges you to explain, to justify, how
      you who does "not condone mistreatment of animals"
      could continue to work at HLS after undercover
      investigations within your workplace revealed
      horrendous animal cruelty. I would hope you view the
      beating a four month old puppy as cruel, and the
      dissection of a live semi-conscious primate as
      unacceptable abuse. By continuing to work within this
      environment after these and other investigations came
      to light you showed your support for violence and
      terrorism.

      Also as a proponent of education Stop Huntingdon
      Animal Cruelty would be more than happy to participate
      with you in a neutrally moderated debate or public
      forum addressing any aspect of animal research, from
      it's scientific validity to the ethics of using
      animals, and especially that of what you carried out
      at HLS. Let us engage in a fair and reasonable debate
      and let our dialogue form the basis of the education
      you believe to be the key to a better future for all.

      Eagerly awaiting your reply,

      Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty

      Check
      http://www.shacusa.net daily for updates on the
      campaign to CLOSE HLS!!

      =====
      Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty - Chicago
      chicago@...
      (773) 377-5001 x8449
      www.shacusa.net
      www.shac.net
      Join us on the second Tuesday of every month at the A-Zone (2129 N. Milwaukee) for a public meeting on the Campaign to close HLS.

             Colleen Klaum

      Do You Yahoo!?