Agenda

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003

      ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS OF NEW JERSEY

      P.O. BOX 363

      BLACKWOOD, N.J. 08012

      Meeting Agenda � December 20, 2002

      Coordinator: David Sauder � Phone/Fax (856) 772-2521

      E-Mail:  veggiedave@...

      *Welcome and Introductions

      What Is Animal Rights?

      Animal rights is the philosophy of allowing non-human animals to have

      the most basic rights that all sentient beings desire: the freedom to live a natural

      life free from human exploitation, unnecessary pain and suffering, and premature

      death.  This is what the animal rights movement is about; it is not about working

      for equality between human and non-human animals.

      Vegetarian Resource Group

      *Discussion regarding recent actions including:

      National Demonstration Against Huntington Life Sciences

      Protest of Zinman Furs, Cherry Hill, in recognition of Fur Free Friday

      Protest of Zinman Furs on Admiral Wilson Blvd. due to promotional by KYW 3.

      Upcoming Events

      *January � Date and time to be announced.  Protest �Wing Bowl� - chicken wing eating contest sponsored by WIP sports radio, occurs the week of the Super Bowl in Philadelphia.

      *January 10 � Protest Huntington Life Sciences.  Location: 100 Mettlers Lane, East Millstone, N.J.  Time of protest: 4-6 PM.  Do not attempt to park in the HLS parking lots.  You risk being arrested for trespassing and/or violation of a restraining order.  Park in the public park parking lots only.  Please note: the Superior Court of New Jersey has put restrictions on the times and numbers of people that can protest in front of the HLS facility and at any residences of present or former employees of HLS.  Info: www.december1.net; adlnj@...; www.AnimalDefenseLeague.com.

      *January 24 � Friday  Next meeting of A.R.A.N.J.  Location: Osage School Library, 112 Somerdale Rd., Voorhees, NJ. Time: 7:30 P.M.

      *January 25 - Educational Tabling at the Cherry Hill Mall.  Time:  Saturday 10:00 AM to 9:30 PM.  Contact Dave to volunteer for a two-hour slot.  Remember, one of our most important roles is education.

      Now thru January 31, 2003 - Patrolling Against Deer Hunters at Unexpected Wildlife Refuge

      The following is a letter from Sarah Summerville, Director of Unexpected Wildlife Refuge

      November 13, 2002

      Dear Unexpected Friends,

      It is hard to believe that it is already that time of year again. The leaves are falling and there is a chill in the air, mixed with the smell of wood smoke and the sound of gunfire. This letter is an invitation to all of you who have patrolled in the past, or may want to patrol this year at Unexpected.

      This year patrol will be a little different, and possibly more convenient for those of you who have full time jobs. Traditionally, the trouble with hunters occurred during six day shot gun season. The �sportsmen� who used to hunt this land before Hope and Cavit arrived have retired or passed away, and their children were never allowed to legally hunt here. Generations later there is little animosity toward the Refuge as being "taken away" from the map of available hunting grounds. Six day shotgun season has evolved into a hunting club party, and any hunter belonging to a club is obligated to group hunt. These large obnoxious clubs do not attempt to enter the Refuge knowing full well it is protected by our merry band of orange marauders.

      Deer season actually began on September 28th and will continue in one form or another until January 31st. Bow season roughly runs from September 28th to November 30th and then Jan. 1st to 31st. Firearms deer season runs from December 2nd until January 31st. Strangely enough, from reading the regulations, it appears that no deer hunting occurs from December 4th until the 8th. Perhaps the deer go on vacation.

      After interviewing several willing hunters, the basic format for them is to hunt from dawn until about 10 AM and/or from 2 PM until dark. The deer are quiet during the middle of the day, the hunters can work half days by hunting either early or late hours and, of course, there is the lunch hour.

      Instead of jamming everyone into 6 days, I am proposing that we patrol from now until the end of January in the very shifts that the hunters follow. That way, if you want to participate, you can fit a few hours of patrol into your work schedule, and we can spread our surveillance out over the next two months. After 6 day shotgun season, it becomes very sinister here, as the solitary hunters sneak into the Refuge, knowing full well that I cannot be everywhere at once. They are snipers sitting in trees waiting for our deer to wander by.

      I have created a very comprehensive trail map showing the Refuge in relation to deer stands, bait piles and shooting boxes that I have discovered. This map will be available to anyone who wishes to join us over the next few months. Last January we lost to several poachers who bragged about bagging our deer. I need help covering a square mile of woods, so please consider giving a few hours to protect the Unexpected animals. You can reach me at 856.697.3541. My email address is qdi@....

      Thanks for your support,

      Sarah Summerville,

      Director

      Web site for Unexpected Wildlife Refuge: http://animalplace.org/uwr_frame.html

      Be a voice for the voiceless.

       Colleen Klaum

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today:

      Do you Yahoo!?