Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" Forums

  • News at The Body
    Message 1 of 139 , Feb 5 12:38 PM

      If you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/updates/

      The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
      Jump to:Search:
      February 5, 2008
      In This Hot Topics: Strangest but Truest of 2007 Living With HIV Mixed-Status Relationships HIV & Your Privacy in the Workplace HIV Treatment Hepatitis & HIV HIV Transmission Strange But True
       STRANGEST BUT TRUEST OF 2007:THE VERDICT IS IN

      You have spoken, and we have a winner! (Or loser, depending on how you look at it.) Hundreds of people voted in our first annual "Strangest but Truest" survey, where you chose which of our 10 nominees was the most bizarre post to grace TheBody.com's "Ask the Experts" Forums in 2007.

      It was a very close contest. To find out which post won the most votes, and to see a full breakdown of votes in the survey, click here.
      BACK TO TOP
       LIVING WITH HIV

      Helping My Kids Adjust to My HIV Status
      I recently told my daughters that I have HIV, and I'm concerned that they might not be taking the news well. Are there any resources out there that can help me talk to my kids about HIV?
      BACK TO TOP
       MIXED-STATUS RELATIONSHIPS

      How Worried Should I Be That My Boyfriend of Two Months Is Positive?
      Before he told me he was HIV positive, my boyfriend and I jerked off together, and he rubbed his penis against my anus. What are the chances that I've been infected?

      How Can I Have a Baby With My Positive Husband?
      Could the "swim-up method" of sperm washing be a good way for me to have a child with my HIV-positive husband?
      BACK TO TOP
       HIV & YOUR PRIVACY IN THE WORKPLACE

      How Can I Stop My Co-Workers From Gossiping About My HIV Status?
      My manager told someone at our company that I have HIV. What can I do to protect my privacy at work?

      Are HIV-Positive Doctors Required to Disclose Their Status?
      I'm about to become a medical resident at a hospital. Will I have to tell the director of the residency program that I have HIV?

      How Should I Respond to Hostile Questions From My Employer?
      After the school where I work found out I have HIV, they asked me to have a conference call with my counselor and the school's psychologist. Is this discrimination?

      Could the N.Y. Police Department Reject Me Because I'm Positive?
      Should I disclose that I'm taking HIV medications on my job application to the New York City Police Department?
      BACK TO TOP
       HIV TREATMENT

      Not a Single Side Effect
      I started taking HIV meds three years ago, and I haven't had even the slightest side effect. Is it crazy for me to believe that I might continue to live a side effect-free life?

      Does Norvir "Count" as an HIV Medication?

      My doctor recommends that I start treatment with Reyataz (atazanavir), Norvir (ritonavir) and a two-drug combination pill like Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) or Combivir (AZT/3TC). By my count that's four HIV meds, and I thought most people started by taking three. Do I really need to take all four meds?

      Could KP-1461 Be an HIV Cure?
      It sounds like the experimental HIV medication KP-1461 works differently from any of the HIV meds we use today. Instead of blocking the virus from attaching to CD4 cells, it slows down HIV by causing it to mutate. In fact, I hear that it can completely eradicate HIV in lab tests. Could this drug be a possible cure for HIV?

      When to Take Atripla
      I have an erratic work schedule. How can I figure out the "best" time of day to take Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC)?
      BACK TO TOP
       HEPATITIS & HIV

      How Would Hep B Coinfection Affect My HIV Treatment?
      I was recently put at risk for hepatitis B. If I test positive for hepatitis, what does that mean for my HIV treatment regimen (Kaletra [lopinavir/ritonavir] and Truvada [tenofovir/FTC])?
      BACK TO TOP
       HIV TRANSMISSION

      Dentist in Distress: Could I Have Been Infected While Filling a Tooth?
      I cut myself while filling the tooth of an HIV-positive patient with an undetectable viral load. What are the odds of my being infected?
      BACK TO TOP
       STRANGE BUT TRUE

      Can You Give Yourself HIV?
      Is it possible to become infected with HIV by masturbating with a cut finger?
      BACK TO TOP

      Visual AIDS
      Art From HIV-Positive Artists

      Stop in and browse the full collection!
      "Sky Study (#3)," 2005; David King
      Visit the February 2008 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! This month's gallery, entitled "Looking Up Lyrics," is curated by Becca Albee.

      Join a Study!
      Straight U.S. Men Recently Diagnosed HIV+: Give a Phone Interview and Earn $50

      Positive Internet Study
      Are you a straight man with HIV? Want to join an HIV study without leaving your home?

      Researchers at the University of Minnesota are conducting a telephone-based study to understand the treatment, prevention and sexual health needs of people newly diagnosed. Currently they're looking for straight men recently diagnosed HIV positive, and living in the United States, to take part in one-on-one phone interviews.

      Interested? E-mail the research staff at pints@..., or call toll-free at 1-866-692-0188. You'll be asked to take a quick 5-minute survey to determine if you're eligible to participate.

      If eligible, your interview can be scheduled at your convenience on weekdays or weekends. Interviews take between 60 and 90 minutes; you'll receive $50 for your time and assistance.

      For more information on this study, visit the official Web site at www.epi.umn.edu/pints.

      Newsletter Info
      Worried Your Spam Filter
      Might Trash Our Mailings?

      The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.

      To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.

      About This E-mail

      This e-mail update has been sent to hivtesting@yahoogroups.com.

      Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.

      Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:

      The Body's E-Mail Updates
      Body Health Resources Corporation
      250 West 57th Street
      New York, NY 10107

    • News at The Body
      Message 139 of 139 , Nov 16, 2009

        If you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.html

        November 16, 2009
        Visit the Forums
        "Hot Topics" Library
        Change/Update Subscription

        COINFECTIONS & COMPLICATIONS OF HIV/HIV MEDICATIONS

         Recently Diagnosed With Osteopenia: When Should I Start Bone Meds?
        I have been on Reyataz (atazanavir), Norvir (ritonavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) for a little more than two years. I had a DEXA scan and my doctor said I have osteopenia and I should probably start Fosamax (alendronate) or Boniva (ibandronate) in about two years. I have a family history of osteoporosis. I've also had some fractures and dislocations over the years that have been causing some pain in the last few months. When I look at my DEXA scan report, what levels and terms should I look out for that would indicate a need to start Boniva or Fosamax sooner than two years from now?

        Also Worth Noting: New Blog: Back From the Brink of Death

        Thomas DeLorenzo

        People still die from AIDS-related causes in the U.S. -- and some of them die without even knowing they're HIV positive. This almost happened to TheBody.com's blogger Thomas DeLorenzo. When he found out he had HIV in 2001, he also discovered that he had two opportunistic infections. His doctor told him he missed dying by just a few days. In his latest blog entry, Thomas recounts why he buried his head in the sand.
         HIV Meds Have Made My Belly Big and My Cheeks Sunken!
        I used to have a somewhat good body and now my cheeks are sunken in and my belly is fat and hard. I look like I'm six months pregnant. My breasts are big and my legs are thin, and I'm embarrassed to go places because of the way I look. I'd been taking HIV meds for two years before these effects began. What can I do about them? My viral load is undetectable, my CD4 count is more than 1,000 and I am taking Intelence (etravirine) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC).

         Where Can We Find an Expert in MS and HIV?
        My partner is 42 years old and has been HIV positive for 14 years. He's very healthy -- his CD4 count is nearly 1,000. His viral load has been undetectable for years. He's recently been diagnosed with relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis (MS). I'm a physician myself, and I'm looking for someone with experience in HIV as well as treatment of MS. Can you recommend some options? None of his current docs know of anyone who has done work in this area.

         How Can I Be Cured of HCV, but Not HIV?
        Are HIV and hepatitis C (HCV) so dissimilar that I can be cured of one and not the other? I had HCV, went through interferon (Alferon N, Roferon-A or Intron A) treatment and also started HIV treatment with Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC). I followed all the rules and never missed a single dose of any medication. The doctor says the HIV is "hiding" somewhere in my tissues (Brain? Spleen? Gallbladder? Thymus? Where is it "hiding"?). Yet, the liver doctor says I'm "cured" of HCV. Can you explain?

         Having HIV and the Flu: What Are the Risks?
        What are the risks and complications for someone with HIV if they get the seasonal flu or H1N1 flu?

        HIV TREATMENT

         What Should I Choose for My First HIV Regimen?
        I saw my physician assistant and was informed that my CD4 count was 288 and my viral load was 104 million or thereabouts. Both of us decided that it would be wise for me to start treatment immediately. I brought up the idea of being on the combination Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) and Isentress (raltegravir), while he thought I should be on Truvada and Viramune (nevirapine), the most effective combo. What do you think?

        Also Worth Noting: U.S. HIV/AIDS Plan: Online Testimony Deadline Extended!
        The White House Office of National AIDS Policy (ONAP)'s series of HIV/AIDS community discussions is sweeping the U.S. The deadline for submitting online testimony has been extended to Monday, Nov. 23, at 6 p.m. Eastern Time! There have also been some changes to the list of upcoming meetings -- please take a look, and follow the directions to prepare for the meeting of your choice. The next discussions will take place in Jackson, Miss., on Nov. 16 (that's tonight!), and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Nov. 20.
        LIVING WITH HIV

         Could I Be a Long-Term Nonprogressor?
        If I contracted HIV about six years ago and have not had an AIDS-related sickness, could I be a "long-term nonprogressor" -- someone whose body controls HIV without the benefit of HIV meds?

        HIV MEDICATIONS & RECREATIONAL DRUG INTERACTIONS

         Marijuana and Antiretroviral Medications
        Does marijuana interact with HIV medications?

         What's the Effect of Taking Ecstasy With HIV Meds?
        What happens if you take Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) and Combivir (AZT/3TC), and three hours later you pop an ecstasy pill?

        HIV TESTING & TRANSMISSION

         Is It Better to Get Tested for HIV or to Not Know My HIV Status?
        I am afraid of being HIV positive. I am 26 years old and was in a relationship for two years in which we left condoms out of the equation (I was the "top," or insertive partner). I haven't had an HIV test for three years. Should I start using condoms now and not bother getting tested since I'm terrified of testing positive?

         Positive, Undetectable "Bottom" in a Magnetic Couple: Is My Partner at Lower Risk?
        I'm a 54-year-old gay man from Vermont and I've been HIV positive for 22 years. My viral load finally dropped to undetectable in the past year. I also have a new man in my life for the first time in a while. He's HIV negative and after some negotiation, we decided to forego condoms (he's the "top," or insertive partner). Does the fact that I am undetectable and extremely careful mean that I'm not putting him at risk? Having him become infected would be too much to bear.

        Also Worth Noting: Connect With Others
        How Do You Overcome Rejection?
        (A recent post from the "Living With HIV" board)

        This might sound lame because I am a mature woman and not a teenager, so please don't judge. I have been positive for 10 years and trying my best to live like a normal human being. So I decided to start Internet dating on the positive dating sites. I communicated with several guys and decided to go out on a date with this one guy that I liked. The date went really well and we talked for hours and at the end he promised to call the next day. One week later, nothing. I tried calling him on the third day and left a message, but no reply came. I am not going to try him again because I have some self-respect, but the rejection is stressing me out. What I can't understand is how people can be so cruel. To make matters worse, I really, really liked him and wanted to be friends even if the dating didn't work. My question is: How do I get him out of my mind and move on? I have a life and I am a busy person so I am not sitting at home sulking, but this experience is really hard. -- AsiaHope

        Click here to join this discussion thread, or to start your own!

        To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous -- click here to get started!

        STRANGE BUT TRUE

         Could My New Sex Toy Have HIV on It?
        I just received a new sex toy in the mail and I used it immediately without washing it. Now I'm freaking out. What if someone used the new toy before and returned it? I'm still a virgin and I'm so scared. Should I get tested for HIV?

         A Stranger Used My Bathroom: What if He Contaminated It With AIDS?
        I let a man who was hooking up my cable use my restroom. After he was done, I heard him saying that he might have AIDS. So when he left, I cleaned my bathroom thoroughly. I have been so worried ever since. Could he have contaminated something in my bathroom? I have three kids and I'm very concerned. I've been having headaches, back pain, nausea and fatigue.

        Worried Your Spam Filter Might Trash Our Mailings?

        The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.

        To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.

        About This E-mail

        This e-mail update has been sent to hivtesting@yahoogroups.com.

        Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.

        Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:

        The Body's E-Mail Updates
        The HealthCentral Network, Inc.
        250 West 57th Street
        New York, NY 10107

        Activist Central

         Participate in the White House's HIV/AIDS Community Discussions on the National HIV/AIDS Strategy

         Alert: Don't Let Dems Wimp Out on Opposing Abstinence-Only Funding

         U.S. Territories Separate and Unequal in Healthcare Reform; How You Can Help

         Can't Make It to a White House HIV/AIDS Community Discussion? Provide Your Testimony Online for the U.S. National HIV/AIDS Strategy!

         Urge President Obama to Lift the Ban on Federal Funding for Syringe Exchange Programs