Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" Forums

  • News at The Body
    Message 1 of 139 , Jul 3, 2006

      If you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/updates/

      The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
      Jump to:
      Search Forums:
      July 3, 2006
      In This Hot Topics: Stopping HIV Treatment Other HIV Treatment Questions Complications of HIV & HIV Treatment Living With HIV Women & HIV HIV Transmission Strange but True

      I'm Losing Faith in My HIV Meds
      I've had AIDS for 12 years, but thanks to HIV meds, my CD4 count has gone from 88 to 700 and my viral load has been undetectable. Three months ago, I stopped taking my regimen (Kaletra [lopinavir/ritonavir] + Truvada [tenofovir/FTC]) and found that all of the side effects I'd been experiencing simply went away. Although I'm getting weaker and my CD4 count is down to 200, I feel better now than I have in a long time. These side effects were never really discussed with me, and no doctor cared enough to offer me alternatives. Now I'm not sure I want to go back on HIV meds. How do I tell my doctor this?

      Will My CD4 Count Rebound After My Long Treatment Holiday?
      In June 2003, I started a doctor-sanctioned treatment interruption after three years with an undetectable viral load and a very high CD4 count (it topped out at 1,200). In December 2005, my CD4 count had dropped to about 200, so I restarted therapy with Combivir (AZT/3TC) + efavirenz (Sustiva, Stocrin). My viral load immediately went back to undetectable, but my CD4 count is still hovering around 200, and I've been on treatment for months now! I'm getting a little worried; will I ever get back to the CD4 count I once had?

      A Day Off Here, Two Days Off There ...
      I've been doing great on HIV treatment for the past three and a half years -- my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is around 600. Starting about six months ago, I decided to skip doses without telling my doctor: I'd take meds for three days, take a day off, take them for another four days, take the next two days off, etc. My labs have remained stable. I still haven't told my doc that I've changed my dosing schedule; she has always told me not to skip any doses. What do you think?

      The Date: Monday, July 10, 2006

      The Time: 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time/12:30 p.m. Pacific Time

      The Chat: HIV treatment advocate Nelson Vergel will answer your questions about treatment options for HIV-positive people with multidrug resistance. He'll also talk about new drugs in development and tips on healthy living for treatment-experienced HIVers.

      Nelson, the founder of salvagetherapies.org, is one of the leading advocates in the field of multidrug resistance. He has been HIV positive for 23 years; his HIV is resistant to most currently approved medications, but his viral load recently dropped to undetectable on a combination of new drugs in development that are being tested in a clinical trial.

      To sign up for an e-mail reminder about this chat, or to presubmit a question you'd like Nelson to answer, click here!

      A Tough Pill to Swallow
      I've always had a hard time swallowing pills. Now that I need to take HIV meds, I'm having a hard time coping. I just can't get the pills down my throat. Is there another way I can take my meds until I learn to swallow pills?

      My Adherence Sucks; Why Do I Not Have Drug Resistance?
      I have missed countless doses of my HIV medications, but I haven't become resistant to any of them. How is this possible? I was told that even missing one dose could do it. Am I just lucky, or was my doctor exaggerating?

      What Will the Next Big Breakthrough in HIV Treatment Be?
      A resistance test found that I'm sensitive to all HIV meds, so whenever I need to start treatment I'll be able to take anything. When that time comes, will there be any big new breakthroughs in HIV treatment that will be available?

      3TC vs. FTC: What's the Difference?
      Is there any difference between 3TC (lamivudine, Epivir) and FTC (emtricitabine, Emtriva)?

      Should I Worry About d4T's Horror Stories?
      I was diagnosed with HIV in February; my CD4 count was down to 2, and my viral load was over 750,000. My doc immediately put me on d4T (stavudine, Zerit) + Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) + Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). He said that, although I would hear a lot of horror stories about the side effects of d4T (like lipoatrophy), he was only going to keep me on the drug for a few months, so I shouldn't worry. Is he right?

      Is Lipodystrophy Something All HIVers Have to Deal With?
      Are body shape changes inevitable in HIV-positive people? Do any long-term survivors not suffer from lipodystrophy? Or are we all destined to lose any semblance of normalcy in our arms, legs, faces, torsos and rear ends?

      Why Am I Retaining so Much Water?
      I am retaining a lot of water. I've been on HIV treatment (Combivir [AZT/3TC] + efavirenz [Sustiva, Stocrin]) since I was diagnosed two years ago, and have had only minimal side effects. However, one year ago, I gained 30 pounds of water weight within a few months; my legs swelled and I was always short of breath. My doctor prescribed Lasix (furosemide), which helped me get my breath back and lose most of the weight. But as soon as I stopped Lasix, the weight gain started again. My doctor says that as long as the Lasix works I shouldn't worry, but I want to know what's going on. I've had all the tests -- heart, kidney and liver -- but there were no major problems. What is wrong with me?

      Can You Get Hepatitis B Even if You've Been Vaccinated?
      How effective is the hepatitis B vaccine? Can you still be infected with hepatitis B even after having the vaccination? If you unknowingly had hepatitis B before you were vaccinated against it, can the vaccine "reactivate" the virus?

      I Can Feel My Heartbeat!
      Since I was diagnosed one year ago, I've been able to feel my heart beating all the time! At rest, I have measured 80 to 90 beats per minute (which is on the high side). When I exercise for 10 minutes, it jumps up to 160 beats per minute. I'm an ex-smoker who plays sports; my blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. Is there something wrong with my heart?

      Am I Living With HIV, or Dying With HIV?
      I was recently diagnosed with HIV. I need an honest answer: Am I going to live? Or do I need to prepare myself for death?

      Why Won't the U.S. Government Foot the Bill?
      It seems to me that HIVers in the United States who only have government-subsidized health care (such as Medicare or Medicaid) are not treated as well as HIV-positive people who have private insurance. I feel that people with private insurance are started on HIV treatment much earlier, so that they have a better chance of staying healthy. Medicare will only fund treatment when people actually develop AIDS. Why won't the government pay for earlier treatment? Why would they rather wait until we're really sick?

      I Know My Uncle Has HIV, but He Hasn't Told Me
      I just inadvertently found out my uncle is HIV positive. The rest of our family lives in another country and I don't know what to do. Should I tell my family? Or should I respect my uncle's privacy? I want the best for him and will try to do everything I can to help him. I have heard that family support is almost as important as medication, but I don't know if I can handle this all by myself. What should I do?
       WOMEN & HIV

      HIV, Meds and Pregnancy
      When I was diagnosed a year ago, I assumed I would never get to have a baby again. But I recently found out that I am pregnant with my fourth child. I just started my first HIV treatment regimen; how will my HIV meds affect my baby, physically and emotionally? Will the baby have to be delivered by C-section?

      My Daughter Was Pricked by an Insulin Needle
      Last week, my 3-year-old daughter picked an insulin needle off the floor of an elevator and handed it to me. She pricked herself with the base of the needle, drawing a small amount of blood from her finger. How high is the risk that she's been exposed to HIV or hepatitis C?

      Do My Car Keys Have HIV?
      If a bodily fluid containing HIV got on my car keys, would submerging them in rubbing alcohol kill the virus?

      Me and My Dirty, Dirty, Bloody Hands
      I like to masturbate, and sometimes, after I'm done, I bite my fingers until they bleed. Now I have a cold, and I think it might be HIV (since I know masturbation is a very unclean habit). Should I get tested?

      Lipoatrophy Center
      Personal Stories From HIV-Positive People With Lipoatrophy

      A schoolteacher and mother of four, Mary says that she has been coping with lipoatrophy since she began her first regimen. Her legs became thin, her waist thickened and her hips all but vanished. "I feel like a mutant," she admits. "People say, 'Oh, you look fine. You look great. You look so healthy ... and you're a teacher, and you're a mom, and you cook.' Like I'm a super human being, and I'm like, 'Yes, but this is just not me.'"

      As a result of her lipoatrophy, everyday activities have become stressful. "I hate going clothes shopping," Mary says. "Do I buy the old-lady, really loose, long shorts? ... Do I wear tunics? I don't want anything to cling on me, because I'm so self-conscious about it." Mary manages her lipoatrophy through a combination of creative wardrobe solutions and hours of exercise, but still struggles to feel good about the way she looks.

      The Body's interview with Mary (available as a transcript and a podcast) is part of our newly launched Lipoatrophy Resource Center, your most comprehensive source on the Web for the latest news and information about this difficult side effect. Visit the center for news, research updates, overviews, comparisons of facial fillers, tips on how to get insurance coverage for lipoatrophy surgery and compelling accounts of what it's like to live with lipoatrophy.

      Visual AIDS
      Art From HIV-Positive Artists

      Image from the July 2006 Visual AIDS Web Gallery
      "Crap Shoot I," 1993; Frank Moore
      Visit the newly launched July 2006 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! The July gallery is entitled "Vital Signs"; it's curated by Catharina Manchanda, curator at the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum at Washington University in St. Louis.
      Newsletter Info
      Worried Your Spam Filter
      Might Trash Our Mailings?

      The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.

      To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, talk to whoever manages your e-mail security about how to put our mailings on a "white list," or check the anti-spam software's instructions for more information.

      About This E-Mail

      This e-mail update has been sent to hivtesting@yahoogroups.com.

      Missed an issue of "Hot Topics at The Body's 'Ask the Experts' Forums"? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.

      Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:

      The Body's E-Mail Updates
      Body Health Resources Corporation
      250 West 57 Street
      New York, NY 10107

    • News at The Body
      Message 139 of 139 , Nov 16 2:13 PM

        If you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.html

        November 16, 2009
        Visit the Forums
        "Hot Topics" Library
        Change/Update Subscription

         Recently Diagnosed With Osteopenia: When Should I Start Bone Meds?
        I have been on Reyataz (atazanavir), Norvir (ritonavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) for a little more than two years. I had a DEXA scan and my doctor said I have osteopenia and I should probably start Fosamax (alendronate) or Boniva (ibandronate) in about two years. I have a family history of osteoporosis. I've also had some fractures and dislocations over the years that have been causing some pain in the last few months. When I look at my DEXA scan report, what levels and terms should I look out for that would indicate a need to start Boniva or Fosamax sooner than two years from now?

        Also Worth Noting: New Blog: Back From the Brink of Death

        Thomas DeLorenzo

        People still die from AIDS-related causes in the U.S. -- and some of them die without even knowing they're HIV positive. This almost happened to TheBody.com's blogger Thomas DeLorenzo. When he found out he had HIV in 2001, he also discovered that he had two opportunistic infections. His doctor told him he missed dying by just a few days. In his latest blog entry, Thomas recounts why he buried his head in the sand.
         HIV Meds Have Made My Belly Big and My Cheeks Sunken!
        I used to have a somewhat good body and now my cheeks are sunken in and my belly is fat and hard. I look like I'm six months pregnant. My breasts are big and my legs are thin, and I'm embarrassed to go places because of the way I look. I'd been taking HIV meds for two years before these effects began. What can I do about them? My viral load is undetectable, my CD4 count is more than 1,000 and I am taking Intelence (etravirine) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC).

         Where Can We Find an Expert in MS and HIV?
        My partner is 42 years old and has been HIV positive for 14 years. He's very healthy -- his CD4 count is nearly 1,000. His viral load has been undetectable for years. He's recently been diagnosed with relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis (MS). I'm a physician myself, and I'm looking for someone with experience in HIV as well as treatment of MS. Can you recommend some options? None of his current docs know of anyone who has done work in this area.

         How Can I Be Cured of HCV, but Not HIV?
        Are HIV and hepatitis C (HCV) so dissimilar that I can be cured of one and not the other? I had HCV, went through interferon (Alferon N, Roferon-A or Intron A) treatment and also started HIV treatment with Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC). I followed all the rules and never missed a single dose of any medication. The doctor says the HIV is "hiding" somewhere in my tissues (Brain? Spleen? Gallbladder? Thymus? Where is it "hiding"?). Yet, the liver doctor says I'm "cured" of HCV. Can you explain?

         Having HIV and the Flu: What Are the Risks?
        What are the risks and complications for someone with HIV if they get the seasonal flu or H1N1 flu?

         What Should I Choose for My First HIV Regimen?
        I saw my physician assistant and was informed that my CD4 count was 288 and my viral load was 104 million or thereabouts. Both of us decided that it would be wise for me to start treatment immediately. I brought up the idea of being on the combination Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) and Isentress (raltegravir), while he thought I should be on Truvada and Viramune (nevirapine), the most effective combo. What do you think?

        Also Worth Noting: U.S. HIV/AIDS Plan: Online Testimony Deadline Extended!
        The White House Office of National AIDS Policy (ONAP)'s series of HIV/AIDS community discussions is sweeping the U.S. The deadline for submitting online testimony has been extended to Monday, Nov. 23, at 6 p.m. Eastern Time! There have also been some changes to the list of upcoming meetings -- please take a look, and follow the directions to prepare for the meeting of your choice. The next discussions will take place in Jackson, Miss., on Nov. 16 (that's tonight!), and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Nov. 20.

         Could I Be a Long-Term Nonprogressor?
        If I contracted HIV about six years ago and have not had an AIDS-related sickness, could I be a "long-term nonprogressor" -- someone whose body controls HIV without the benefit of HIV meds?

         Marijuana and Antiretroviral Medications
        Does marijuana interact with HIV medications?

         What's the Effect of Taking Ecstasy With HIV Meds?
        What happens if you take Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) and Combivir (AZT/3TC), and three hours later you pop an ecstasy pill?

         Is It Better to Get Tested for HIV or to Not Know My HIV Status?
        I am afraid of being HIV positive. I am 26 years old and was in a relationship for two years in which we left condoms out of the equation (I was the "top," or insertive partner). I haven't had an HIV test for three years. Should I start using condoms now and not bother getting tested since I'm terrified of testing positive?

         Positive, Undetectable "Bottom" in a Magnetic Couple: Is My Partner at Lower Risk?
        I'm a 54-year-old gay man from Vermont and I've been HIV positive for 22 years. My viral load finally dropped to undetectable in the past year. I also have a new man in my life for the first time in a while. He's HIV negative and after some negotiation, we decided to forego condoms (he's the "top," or insertive partner). Does the fact that I am undetectable and extremely careful mean that I'm not putting him at risk? Having him become infected would be too much to bear.

        Also Worth Noting: Connect With Others
        How Do You Overcome Rejection?
        (A recent post from the "Living With HIV" board)

        This might sound lame because I am a mature woman and not a teenager, so please don't judge. I have been positive for 10 years and trying my best to live like a normal human being. So I decided to start Internet dating on the positive dating sites. I communicated with several guys and decided to go out on a date with this one guy that I liked. The date went really well and we talked for hours and at the end he promised to call the next day. One week later, nothing. I tried calling him on the third day and left a message, but no reply came. I am not going to try him again because I have some self-respect, but the rejection is stressing me out. What I can't understand is how people can be so cruel. To make matters worse, I really, really liked him and wanted to be friends even if the dating didn't work. My question is: How do I get him out of my mind and move on? I have a life and I am a busy person so I am not sitting at home sulking, but this experience is really hard. -- AsiaHope

        Click here to join this discussion thread, or to start your own!

        To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous -- click here to get started!

         Could My New Sex Toy Have HIV on It?
        I just received a new sex toy in the mail and I used it immediately without washing it. Now I'm freaking out. What if someone used the new toy before and returned it? I'm still a virgin and I'm so scared. Should I get tested for HIV?

         A Stranger Used My Bathroom: What if He Contaminated It With AIDS?
        I let a man who was hooking up my cable use my restroom. After he was done, I heard him saying that he might have AIDS. So when he left, I cleaned my bathroom thoroughly. I have been so worried ever since. Could he have contaminated something in my bathroom? I have three kids and I'm very concerned. I've been having headaches, back pain, nausea and fatigue.

        To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@... to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.

        About This E-mail

        This e-mail update has been sent to hivtesting@yahoogroups.com.

        Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.

        Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:

        The Body's E-Mail Updates
        The HealthCentral Network, Inc.
        250 West 57th Street
        New York, NY 10107

        Activist Central

         Participate in the White House's HIV/AIDS Community Discussions on the National HIV/AIDS Strategy

         Alert: Don't Let Dems Wimp Out on Opposing Abstinence-Only Funding

         U.S. Territories Separate and Unequal in Healthcare Reform; How You Can Help

         Can't Make It to a White House HIV/AIDS Community Discussion? Provide Your Testimony Online for the U.S. National HIV/AIDS Strategy!

         Urge President Obama to Lift the Ban on Federal Funding for Syringe Exchange Programs