LCOA:: Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride!!

  • Latino Commission on AIDS
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      Latino Commission on AIDS: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4TH, IMMIGRANTS WORKERS FREEDOM RIDE IN NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

      OCTOBER 4TH, IMMIGRANTS WORKERS FREEDOM RIDE IN NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!

      Gente:

      As many of you know, the national campaign Immigrant Worker Freedom Ride, It will culminate in a historic rally in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens on Oct. 4 at 10:00. (#7 to Willitz Point / Shea Stadium) We expect over 100,000 people to welcome over 800 immigrant freedom riders who have been crossing the country on 18 buses stopping along the way to have over 100 rallies for immigrant rights.

      The Freedom Ride has gotten a lot of press coverage, which you can see by going to the site www.iwfr.org . We especially recommend the Seattle Times photo album. There is also some specific information about getting to the park on Oct 4th on the Central Labor Council site, www.nycclc.org . Congressman John Lewis, a freedom rider of the civil rights movement, also will speak His Eminence Cardinal Egan, from the Archdiocese of New York and many other civic and labor leaders. There will also be musical groups: Tabu Combo, Bronco, Mighty Sparrow, and Wycleff Jean, as well as some local talent from immigrant groups here in the city. So it will be a rally and a festival. I invite you to come and to pass the info on to at least 10 of your friends or list serves from the Metropolitan or tri-state area with the basic message: GET ON THE FREEDOM BUS!! (or subway!) to Flushing Meadows Park this Saturday. This is a rally you won't want to miss!

      The Oct. 4th rally is not just for immigrants. It's is for all of us to stand up for justice, for the defense of immigrants' rights, and to push for a legalization program that will allow undocumented immigrants to regularize their status and participate fully in this society and not live with the fear and insecurity that governs their daily lives. It is also about the defense of workplace rights for immigrants and the defense of civil rights and civil liberties for all of us.

      Certainly with the anti-immigrant attacks that have been taking place in the last few months (the firebombing of Mexican family in Farmingville, the death of a Dominican worker having an epileptic attack on the job from mistreatment by the police, bias attack on a Sikh family in Queens, the killing of Ousmane Zongo in the Chelsea storage facility, to mention a few), it is important that we show our support for immigrant rights and honor the diversity of our city and our country and the contributions that immigrants make to it.

      Hope to see you there!

      SATURDAY, OCT 4TH FLUSHING MEADOWS-CORONA PARK, QUEENS
      # 7 TRAIN TO WILLETS PARK-SHEA STADIUM
      10 AM – 4 PM
      1-800-566-7636
      JOIN THE FREEDOM RIDERS FOR

      *LEGALIZATION AND A ROAD TO CITIZENSHIP
      * FAMILY REUNIFICATION
      *IMMIGRANTSÂ’ RIGHTS IN THE WORK PLACE
      *CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES FOR ALL

      Click here to be removed from the mailing list