Re: [HENNESSY] Family Tree Research

  • geedingle8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2001
      Jayne,

      Post some names of the 12 children and i will search the 1881 census for some
      details..do you have any address for David or his wife's name?

      Gillian (Liverpool)

    • george hennessy
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2001
        Jayne I found my grandad on th 1881 census tell Gillian I might have some
        copies avaible if you know where they were living
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 3, 2001
          Hi,
          I've been following the email conversation about the 1881 census and would
          like to know the site of the census (UK or US?, city?). I've been
          searching for a Patrick Hennessy in US census data and have been unable to
          find him. He would be between 25 and 30 yrs.old in 1881. He married
          Bridget O'Sullivan in 1884 in Jersey City, NJ, but I can't find him in any
          records there. Can the owner of the 1881 census check for me? Thanks.

          At 05:59 PM 10/2/01 +0100, george hennessy wrote:
          >Jayne I found my grandad on th 1881 census tell Gillian I might have some
          >copies avaible if you know where they were living

        • Jayne Hennessy
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 3, 2001
            Gillian,

            All I know is that David Hennessy was born in cork city on 3rd October 1920 and he came to england before the war and married Kathleen Dunleavy of Goole in East Yorkshire. Kathleen is still alive (she's my husbands grandma) and she knows nothing of her husbands relatives, as he never spoke about them. She thinks he may have had twin sisters, but that's about it, its a bit of a mistery really. The 12 children are David and Kathleens and I am in contact with every one of them and they are very interested in my findings about their Father.

            Thanks

            Jayne

            Post some names of the 12 children and i will search the 1881 census for some
            details..do you have any address for David or his wife's name?

            Gillian (Liverpool)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE, COPY/PASTE the following URL address:

            YOU WILL HAVE TO REGISTER with Yahoo and SIGN IN in order to use the "Members Only Extra website features. At the website, you will find current message Archives, Member Profiles, Uploaded files (including archives from our previous site; )(Or to Upload a file yourself!) Please feel free to visit our website and browse around!

            For LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES, See "Bookmarks"! (Now open to Public!)

            Thanks in advance, and we hope you enjoy your time with us!

          • Terence Hennessy
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2001
              Kathryn,
              I suspect the US census would have been 1880?
              The 1881 Census that I think of is British. The LDS FHL sells a 24-CD
              set that includes census and national index for England, Scotland,
              Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Royal Navy. I will look this
              over for your query this weekend

              Virtually no census survives for Ireland for the 19th century, so you
              have to use alternative records. (I think only census for a few
              counties & few years survives, and nothing complete.)
              Terry

              --- In HENNESSY@y..., Kathryn Dansky <kxd9@p...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I've been following the email conversation about the 1881 census
              and would
              > like to know the site of the census (UK or US?, city?). I've been
              > searching for a Patrick Hennessy in US census data and have been
              unable to
              > find him. He would be between 25 and 30 yrs.old in 1881. He
              married
              > Bridget O'Sullivan in 1884 in Jersey City, NJ, but I can't find him
              in any
              > records there. Can the owner of the 1881 census check for me?
              Thanks.

            • Kathryn Dansky
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2001
                Thanks, Terry.

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2001
                  hi
                  George from Liverpool here
                  The 1881 census is the British census. That where I found my grandad and dad
                  The Irish records are much more difficult Im stuck at the moment as I have
                  no idea where in Ireland my Grandparents came from
                  hope this helps

                  > >I suspect the US census would have been 1880?
                  > >The 1881 Census that I think of is British. The LDS FHL sells a 24-CD
                  > >set that includes census and national index for England, Scotland,
                  > >Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Royal Navy. I will look this
                  > >over for your query this weekend
                  > >
                  > >Virtually no census survives for Ireland for the 19th century, so you
                  > >have to use alternative records. (I think only census for a few
                  > >counties & few years survives, and nothing complete.)
                  > >Terry
                  > >
                  > >--- In HENNESSY@y..., Kathryn Dansky <kxd9@p...> wrote:
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > > I've been following the email conversation about the 1881 census
                  > >and would
                  > > > like to know the site of the census (UK or US?, city?). I've been
                  > > > searching for a Patrick Hennessy in US census data and have been
                  > >unable to
                  > > > find him. He would be between 25 and 30 yrs.old in 1881. He
                  > >married
                  > > > Bridget O'Sullivan in 1884 in Jersey City, NJ, but I can't find him
                  > >in any
                  > > > records there. Can the owner of the 1881 census check for me?
                  > >Thanks.
                  > > >

                  > >TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE, COPY/PASTE the following URL address:
                  > >
                  > >YOU WILL HAVE TO REGISTER with Yahoo and SIGN IN in order to use the
                  > >"Members Only Extra website features. At the website, you will find
                  > >current message Archives, Member Profiles, Uploaded files (including
                  > >archives from our previous site; )(Or to Upload a file yourself!) Please
                  > >feel free to visit our website and browse around!
                  > >
                  > >For LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES, See "Bookmarks"! (Now open to Public!)

                  > >Thanks in advance, and we hope you enjoy your time with us!

                  > TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE, COPY/PASTE the following URL address:
                  >
                  > YOU WILL HAVE TO REGISTER with Yahoo and SIGN IN in order to use the
                  "Members Only Extra website features. At the website, you will find current
                  message Archives, Member Profiles, Uploaded files (including archives from
                  our previous site; )(Or to Upload a file yourself!) Please feel free to
                  visit our website and browse around!

                  > For LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES, See "Bookmarks"! (Now open to Public!)

                  > Thanks in advance, and we hope you enjoy your time with us!

                • Carole Demers
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 12, 2001
                    Liza: My Timothy Hennessy was from Lisvernane, Glen of Aherlow, Parish of
                    Clonbeg, Tipperary, b. 1821, imm. to Chicago IL (possibly throught CT) in
                    1850s or early 60s, died 17 June 1888 in Chicago IL. I have not been able
                    to find any male siblings--sisters, Mary Fox , Honorah Puma & Catherine
                    Hennessy). Had two children, Mary Elizabeth Brennan(1871-1937-Chicago) &
                    Michael (d. 1891, age 16-Chicago)

                    One coincidence is that Timothy Hennessy & his wife, Grace Cronin Hennessy
                    from Ballylanders, Limerick, and their infant daughter, Bridget, are buried
                    in the Donohue plot at Calvary Cemetery in Evanston IL. I have not found
                    the connection to the Donohues, but they could have been from the Glen of
                    Aherlow area. Others buried in that plot bought by William Donohue in
                    8/2/1882 were: Jerome V. Grimes, 7/30/1914; Irene Murphy 1/20/1924; Edward
                    Gannon, 8/14/1925, Anna Donohue 7/15/1926, George Donohue 2/25/1937, Mary
                    Donohue 5/2/1939, William J. Donohue 5/2/1932, Nellie Dolan 5/2/1894, Mary
                    Donohue 8/14/1892, William Donohue 12/17/1901.

                    Just an idea that some of your Hennessys may have moved on to Chicago.

                    Carole

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 13, 2001

                    • THenne1713@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 13, 2001

                      • LizaWheels@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 17, 2001
                          Thanks for the info on the Hennessy-Donahue connection in Chicago. I am
                          aware of the Chicago Hennessy clan as I have come accross them in my
                          research. I was never able to make any connection. Biggest stumbling block
                          is that my James Hennessy is reported to have been born in Ireland in the
                          late 1860's. So he couldn't have come to the US until after that. The
                          Chicago Hennessey's came earlier. I will file the info in hopes that someday
                          I can make a connection. Liza.

                        • LizaWheels@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 17, 2001
                            I don't have an immigration date but I do have a range. James Hennessy (from
                            birth records of children) was born approximately 1868 somewhere in Ireland.
                            So he couldn't have come to the US before 1868. His first child was born in
                            circa 1892 in Allegany NY (Cattaraugus County). Therefore immigration would
                            have been 1868-1892. It is a large range but I have nothing else. I don't
                            have a marriage record but again the children's birth records indicate the
                            mother as Ellen Donohue (about the same age as James) also born in Ireland.
                            Although one record does say England. I have not searched British records
                            because I felt I had too little to go on. If you think it might help please
                            let me know how I would go about this. Thanks. Liza.

                          • THenne1713@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 17, 2001
                              In a message dated 10/17/01 1:54:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              LizaWheels@... writes:

                              > Subj:Re: [HENNESSY] 1881 census
                              > Date:10/17/01 1:54:22 PM Central Daylight Time
                              > From: LizaWheels@...
                              > To: HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com
                              > CC: LizaWheels@...
                              >

                              > I don't have an immigration date but I do have a range. James Hennessy
                              > (from
                              > birth records of children) was born approximately 1868 somewhere in
                              > Ireland.
                              > So he couldn't have come to the US before 1868. His first child was born
                              > in
                              > circa 1892 in Allegany NY (Cattaraugus County). Therefore immigration
                              > would
                              > have been 1868-1892. It is a large range but I have nothing else. I don't
                              > have a marriage record but again the children's birth records indicate the
                              > mother as Ellen Donohue (about the same age as James) also born in Ireland.
                              >
                              > Although one record does say England. I have not searched British records
                              > because I felt I had too little to go on. If you think it might help
                              > please
                              > let me know how I would go about this. Thanks. Liza.

                              Liza,
                              At least your dates don't rule out the possibility of 1881 British Census
                              being a resource, and in fact, almost open the door to check there.
                              Terry

                            • geedingle8@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
                                Liza.
                                I have had look on the 1881 census for James Hennessy/ Ellen Donohue and have
                                found the following:

                                Ellen Donohue born Ireland 1863 was in service as Housemaid in Durham- East
                                Hartburn she would have been (18). Also in the same house is Kate Donohue age
                                24 born Ireland. She was the cook (domestic). This is the only match for
                                Ellen Donohue born Ireland.

                                Is this any help?

                                Gill (Liverpool England)

                              • george hennessy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 19, 2001
                                  hi
                                  Gill from Liverpool I'm from here too.
                                  I had an aunt Ellen. there might be a connection I'll look intop it and
                                  reply shortly
                                  Geo Hennnessy
                                  Liverpool England