Hennessy

  • bert270536
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
      Hello all ,looking for Patrick Hennessy & wife Mary (Sinell)Born in Limerick ,Ireland ,as far as i know had a Daughter Mary Born in Rathkeale Ireland in 1832 ,any Details would be nice cheers Bert.
    • keely123us
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
        Hi Bert:

        My great, great, great grandfather was Fredrick Hennessy born at St John's castle in Limerick. His mother was Mary and father was Patrick Hennessy. Patrick was in the British Military and a Captain in the 67th Foot. I've copies of letters, will, marriage and other records. His father was Mathais Hennessy and in the Irish Brigade and then drafted into the British Army as a Quartermaster. Mathais died in Afganistan and his commission was passed to Patrick. Also, Patrick was born in Dundulk Ireland in 1803 because Mathais was stationed there with the British Army.

        If this sounds like a link to your family history, let me know as I have a researcher commissioned right now to do more detailed search for Mathais. I live in Michigan, where do you live? I can provide more details. Thanks!!! Amy Keely

        --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, "bert270536" <bert270536@...> wrote:

        > Hello all ,looking for Patrick Hennessy & wife Mary (Sinell)Born in Limerick ,Ireland ,as far as i know had a Daughter Mary Born in Rathkeale Ireland in 1832 ,any Details would be nice cheers Bert.

      • Albertus
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
          Hello Amy , This is very hard for me as I am the eldest in the Family and
          did not get any details on the passed Family only a couple of Certificates
          that I had to buy, sounds like it could be some connection as my Patrick was
          Born about that time ,have you any details on Patrick etc Cheers for now

          --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HENNESSY%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "bert270536" <bert270536@...> wrote:

          > Hello all ,looking for Patrick Hennessy & wife Mary (Sinell)Born in
          Limerick ,Ireland ,as far as i know had a Daughter Mary Born in Rathkeale
          Ireland in 1832 ,any Details would be nice cheers Bert.

        • amy keely
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
            Hi Bert,

            My quest started with a photograph of St. John's Castle stating that my g. g. grandfather Hennessy was born there. I have visted the castle and have documentation from the Limerick Archives that my g, g, g, grandfather Frederick was born in 1841 at Limerick Castle. His parents are listed as Patrick Hennessy LT 20th Regiment and Mary Elizabeth Hennessy. I believe his full name was Patrick Campbell. I do know that St. James Castle (or King James Castle) was used as a military installation which would make sense. Should there be a link, I am happy to give you the PRO record numbers for documents I've obtained. I did pay for them so if you would like, I can try to make copies and turn them into pdf files to send to you.

            Patrick was born in Dundalk in 1803. I am researching Mathias Hennessy as he is Patrick's father and was stationed in Dundalk at the time of Patrick's birth. WO 25/788 Patrick Hennessy's Statement of Service shows that he started his career as an Ensign in the 67th Foot. WO 31/828 - I also have a letter, written in his hand, to a superior officer dated 1841. WO 31/554 are promotion documents from Ensign to Lieuenant. WO 31/828 - It appears that he had a daughter Mary Anne Jane as he is listed as a witness on the marriage certificated for Mary Anne Jane. I know there are more children but I'm still putting the dots together.

            I have a lot of information that I'm still cataloging but I do know that Patrick retired from the British Army after serving in the Carribbean and was granted property (I've been told) in Nova Scotia Canada. My family traveled in and down to Michigan following the rail road and the timber trade. I come from a very large Irish family and, while much of my family are doing recent searches, I decided to see if I could find the connection with the brandy making Hennessy's. I feel I'm fairly close to an answer based on the timeline.

            Again, I have started another search into Mathais Hennessy which should give more information as to why he was in Dundalk at the time of Patrick's birth. If you can provide any information on Patrick that you've gathered, I'm happy to compare with the information on our Patrick.

            Thanks, Amy Keely

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
              Hello Amy, Gee Sorry about that did not read the email very well ,I live in
              Sunny Queensland (Australia),will wait to hear from you when you are ready
              ,oh also I am Retired and doing up my House ,Cheers Bert.

              From: HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HENNESSY%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 5, 2009
                Hello Amy ,Not having a very good day, not checking my emails very well,
                have gone thru some emails and found this ,Source Info, census
                place/Lawrence, Essex, Massachusetts, Family History Library Film,1254530,NA
                Film Number T9-0530, Page No 305B,not sure if you can use this help
                ,Reagrds Bert.

                My great, great, great grandfather was Fredrick Hennessy born at St John's
                castle in Limerick. His mother was Mary and father was Patrick Hennessy.
                Patrick was in the British Military and a Captain in the 67th Foot. I've
                copies of letters, will, marriage and other records. His father was Mathais
                Hennessy and in the Irish Brigade and then drafted into the British Army as
                a Quartermaster. Mathais died in Afganistan and his commission was passed to
                Patrick. Also, Patrick was born in Dundulk Ireland in 1803 because Mathais
                was stationed there with the British Army.

                If this sounds like a link to your family history, let me know as I have a
                researcher commissioned right now to do more detailed search for Mathais. I
                live in Michigan, where do you live? I can provide more details. Thanks!!!
                Amy Keely

                --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:HENNESSY% 40yahoogroups. com> ,
                "bert270536" <bert270536@ ...> wrote:

                > Hello all ,looking for Patrick Hennessy & wife Mary (Sinell)Born in
                Limerick ,Ireland ,as far as i know had a Daughter Mary Born in Rathkeale
                Ireland in 1832 ,any Details would be nice cheers Bert.

              • Kathryn Dansky
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2009
                  Amy and others in the Hennessy clan:

                  Is it possible that your Hennessy line is from somewhere other than
                  Limerick, since the location is given as a military installation? My
                  g.grandfather, Patrick Hennessy, was born (~1852) in Kilkee, County Clare,
                  which is not too far from Limerick. His parents were Michael and
                  Nora. They were born sometime between 1820 and 1835. I have run into a
                  lot of walls, so perhaps we have a connection.
                  Kathy

                  At 11:04 PM 7/5/2009, amy keely wrote:

                  >Hi Bert,
                  >
                  >My quest started with a photograph of St. John's Castle stating that my g.
                  >g. grandfather Hennessy was born there. I have visted the castle and have
                  >documentation from the Limerick Archives that my g, g, g, grandfather
                  >Frederick was born in 1841 at Limerick Castle. His parents are listed as
                  >Patrick Hennessy LT 20th Regiment and Mary Elizabeth Hennessy. I believe
                  >his full name was Patrick Campbell. I do know that St. James Castle (or
                  >King James Castle) was used as a military installation which would make
                  >sense. Should there be a link, I am happy to give you the PRO record
                  >numbers for documents I've obtained. I did pay for them so if you would
                  >like, I can try to make copies and turn them into pdf files to send to you.
                  >
                  >Patrick was born in Dundalk in 1803. I am researching Mathias Hennessy as
                  >he is Patrick's father and was stationed in Dundalk at the time of
                  >Patrick's birth. WO 25/788 Patrick Hennessy's Statement of Service shows
                  >that he started his career as an Ensign in the 67th Foot. WO 31/828 - I
                  >also have a letter, written in his hand, to a superior officer dated 1841.
                  >WO 31/554 are promotion documents from Ensign to Lieuenant. WO 31/828 - It
                  >appears that he had a daughter Mary Anne Jane as he is listed as a witness
                  >on the marriage certificated for Mary Anne Jane. I know there are more
                  >children but I'm still putting the dots together.
                  >
                  >I have a lot of information that I'm still cataloging but I do know that
                  >Patrick retired from the British Army after serving in the Carribbean and
                  >was granted property (I've been told) in Nova Scotia Canada. My family
                  >traveled in and down to Michigan following the rail road and the timber
                  >trade. I come from a very large Irish family and, while much of my family
                  >are doing recent searches, I decided to see if I could find the connection
                  >with the brandy making Hennessy's. I feel I'm fairly close to an answer
                  >based on the timeline.
                  >
                  >Again, I have started another search into Mathais Hennessy which should
                  >give more information as to why he was in Dundalk at the time of Patrick's
                  >birth. If you can provide any information on Patrick that you've gathered,
                  >I'm happy to compare with the information on our Patrick.
                  >
                  >Thanks, Amy Keely
                  >

                  >________________________________

                  Kathryn H. Dansky, Ph.D.
                  Department of Health Policy & Administration
                  Pennsylvania State University
                  604 Ford Building
                  University Park, PA 16802
                  814-863-2902
                  814-863-2905 (FAX)

                • RICHARD HARRIS
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 6, 2009
                    Hi!  I can not find a connection with Patrick,Mathias or Fredrick but sending some information on what I do have, it might "ring a bell" with someone and lead to more information to help me or someone else, so here goes: John Hensey/Hennessy born 1783 in Emly,Tipperary, Ireland(information from millitary records).  John was in the 98th Reg't, he married Ester/Esther Traviss before 1824, Esther was born in Ireland about 1794, I believe they were married in NB, Canada as that is were they lived and raised there children,Michael 1824,Mary 1828,Caleb 1829, Catherine 1832, Ann 1833, John 1836, Ellen/Eleanor 1837, Elizabeth 1840, all born St George, Charlotte County, Canada. On John's military records it states he died May 31, 1860 in NS, Canada, Esther died in NB but no proof of this.   My ancestor, Michael,  moved to Conn. with several of his children and one of his children ended up in Wisconsin.

                    If anyone makes a connection please let me know, thank you and good luck.

                    Sue Harris

                    ________________________________

                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 6, 2009
                      Hi Sue: One thing to note is that Patrick is a very common name in the Hennessy lineage. My Patrick may not be directly related to other Patick's in Limerick. My Patrick came to the U.S. through Nova Scotia, Canada. I do have a John Hennessy in the military as well but he was Patrick's brother and ended his career as a Lieutenant General. His son was Sir George Robertson Hennessy...another General.

                      I would suspect that the you and Bert may have a closer tie given your Patrick was actually born in Limerick while mine fathered a child born in Limerick. Hope this helps!

                      As one Hennessy group reminded me... Hennessy or Hennessey are all related in the end! :-)

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                        Hello Kathryn and others in the Hennessy clan,

                        Amy and others in the Hennessy clan: As far as I know (no proof) Patrick
                        Hennessy Married Mary Sinell & had a Daughter Mary who was Born in
                        Rathkeale 1836,Mary Hennessy came out to Australia & Married John Henry
                        Giese(Gyse,Geise,Giesy)in Beechworth Victoria,1857,from what I have found
                        (no proof) that Patrick B1805-10,Mary Sinell B1810?so the only proof on Mary
                        Hennessy is on one of the Certificate's ,hope that helps out some Cheers
                        Bert.

                      • THenne1713@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                          "is it possible?" (someone said) reminds me of my own story,?
                          where family legend said for many years that gf was from "Cork",?
                          and thus wasted many hours looking "aound Cork" wondering "city/ county/ right/ wrong?"

                          Not until 1930 US census available did I find gf said "Northern Ireland" ( a long way from Cork)

                          Just a thought on how to weigh "family legend" as "legend" and NOT necessarily fact

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                            I was in Cork several years ago and only learned, after I left, that there is actually a Hennessy house in Cork.
                            I want to research more before my next visit.
                            Thanks, Amy
                            --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, THenne1713@... wrote:

                            > "is it possible?" (someone said) reminds me of my own story,?
                            > where family legend said for many years that gf was from "Cork",?
                            > and thus wasted many hours looking "aound Cork" wondering "city/ county/ right/ wrong?"
                            >
                            > Not until 1930 US census available did I find gf said "Northern Ireland" ( a long way from Cork)
                            >

                            > Just a thought on how to weigh "family legend" as "legend" and NOT necessarily fact

                          • Angela Orlando
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                              Hi Hennesey Group,
                              I am in the same boat...went to Ireland 2 years ago without being able to confirm exactly where we came from in Ireland...I always heard through the passed down info that we were from around Dublin...but have never found any documentation....My Great grandfather Thomas (born around 1813 not really sure) arrived in Texas with a younger brother Walter (listed as family of Thomas on ship's list from NY to Texas so I assume younger) in 1833 long before the potato famine so that is not the reason they came to America..Walter died in the Texas War of Independence against Mexico and Thomas survived & had one son Thomas (1850) who then had 10 children all in Texas. But surely Thomas & Walter were not the only family in Ireland..obviously there was mom and dad & possibly other siblings but I have no names and once I found a sight online that posted notes from people in the 1800's looking for family here in the US and I saw somewhere a Mary looking for two
                              brothers one named Thomas...but have nothing to go on... we are all still in Texas except for some that due to work moved to Oklahoma and Louisiana but mostly our Henneseys are in Texas so just maybe the Mary was their sister who came to America after them and tried to locate them once she was here. My great grandmother was named Mary Annie. Also the spelling does get spelled different ways but we for the most part spell it with two n'a and one s...but on some of our documents here in Texas it is spelled in different variations...so as you I try to keep that in mind when researching. I return to Ireland in September and I really would like to find something more before I go..would luv to find us across the waters in our home country...did meet a Hennesey while I was there last time and her first name was Mary and mine is also Mary & my great grandmother's was also..neat but do not have a definite connection. Putting this out there may help me and it
                              might help others....Thanks!!!!
                              maorlando (Irish married an Italian...fun fun fun!!!!)

                              I was in Cork several years ago and only learned, after I left, that there is actually a Hennessy house in Cork.
                              I want to research more before my next visit.
                              Thanks, Amy
                              --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroup s.com, THenne1713@. .. wrote:

                              > "is it possible?" (someone said) reminds me of my own story,?
                              > where family legend said for many years that gf was from "Cork",?
                              > and thus wasted many hours looking "aound Cork" wondering "city/ county/ right/ wrong?"
                              >
                              > Not until 1930 US census available did I find gf said "Northern Ireland" ( a long way from Cork)
                              >

                              > Just a thought on how to weigh "family legend" as "legend" and NOT necessarily fact

                            • GEORGE HENNESSY
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                                hello;
                                Let me add some additional confusion to the Thomas Hennessy Saga. My G/Grandfather Thomas Francis Hennessy born Around 1828 in Somewhere Ireland died 1882 in Minnesota married to Mary L. Hennessy born 1827 in Ireland died 1906 in Minnesota. Homesteaded in Swoft county Minnesota in 1878. Anyone have any connection to Hennessy's in Minnesota in 1880's lets communicate.

                                I was in Cork several years ago and only learned, after I left, that there is actually a Hennessy house in Cork.
                                I want to research more before my next visit.
                                Thanks, Amy
                                --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroup s.com, THenne1713@. .. wrote:

                                > "is it possible?" (someone said) reminds me of my own story,?
                                > where family legend said for many years that gf was from "Cork",?
                                > and thus wasted many hours looking "aound Cork" wondering "city/ county/ right/ wrong?"
                                >
                                > Not until 1930 US census available did I find gf said "Northern Ireland" ( a long way from Cork)
                                >

                                > Just a thought on how to weigh "family legend" as "legend" and NOT necessarily fact

                              • KATHRYN H DANSKY
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2012
                                  Glad to see renewed interest in the Hennessy line! My own search has hit the
                                  wall, but maybe someone new is reading this, and can add to it. My
                                  g.grandfather, Patrick Hennessy, emigrated from Kilkee, County Clare, sometime
                                  in the late 1870s or early 1880s. He married Bridget O'Sullivan in 1883, in
                                  Jersey City, New Jersey. Their daughter, Honora Hennessy, is my paternal
                                  grandmother. I know that she had long black hair (perhaps the influence of the
                                  Spanish on the west coast of Ireland!), they were very poor, and lived in a
                                  downtown Jersey City tenement, but that's all.

                                  Bridget died in 1896 (approx) but I have no record of what happened to Patrick.
                                  I have searched census and military records, with no success. I think he may
                                  have had family in Bayonne, NJ. Census records of my grandparents show them
                                  living in Bayonne in the early years of their marriage, so there may be a
                                  connection between the Jersey City and Bayonne Hennessy families. If this rings
                                  any bells for anyone, please let me know!

                                  Best wishes,
                                  Kathy (Healy)