Ancestry DNA

  • tonynse1
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2007
      Hi all
      I'm back again to post about DNA testing - see previous post.

      I've opted to take the ANCESTRY.COM DNA test because it appears they
      look after all of the administration and put people in touch who have
      got close matches. As I wrote before, I believe DNA testing is the
      only way I can now advance my research in Ireland of my Hennessey
      family.

      So... my plea is this. Will you all ask Father Christmas/Santa Claus
      for a DNA kit for Christmas and we Hennesseys can all come together
      and share more information. The test is only for males with the name
      Hennessey so if you are female you'll have to get a male Hennessey to
      do the test for you.

      I got it for my birthday by the way - apparently it cost about £100
      ($200). If you've got a big family you could ask everyone to chip in
      because they'll have the same DNA and you can share the results.

      I hope to see meet you all on the Ancestry board comparing our
      results in January/February.

      Good Luck

      Tony
      Liverpool
    • jennifer thornton

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
          --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, "tonynse1" <tonyhennessey1@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all
          > I'm back again to post about DNA testing - see previous post.
          >
          > I've opted to take the ANCESTRY.COM DNA test because it appears
          they
          > look after all of the administration and put people in touch who
          have
          > got close matches. As I wrote before, I believe DNA testing is the
          > only way I can now advance my research in Ireland of my Hennessey
          > family.
          >
          > So... my plea is this. Will you all ask Father Christmas/Santa
          Claus
          > for a DNA kit for Christmas and we Hennesseys can all come together
          > and share more information. The test is only for males with the
          name
          > Hennessey so if you are female you'll have to get a male Hennessey
          > do the test for you.
          >
          > I got it for my birthday by the way - apparently it cost about £100
          > ($200). If you've got a big family you could ask everyone to chip
          in
          > because they'll have the same DNA and you can share the results.
          >
          > I hope to see meet you all on the Ancestry board comparing our
          > results in January/February.
          >
          > Good Luck
          >
          > Tony
          > Liverpool

          Hi all
          Happy New Year from all the Hennesseys in Liverpool.
          I have my resuls from the DNA Ancestry project. As I predicted, there
          aren't any other Hennesseys on there yet but I'll be patient and hope
          that some on this site may join up to compare results. Interestingly,
          I have 250 connections to other names (don't ask me why at this
          stage). The closest are within 3 - 25 Generations away and most of
          them are O'Learys or Sullivans originating from Cork where my own
          branch come from. Apparently the O'Learys and Hennesseys belonged to
          the same tribe, the Corca Loighde, and share pretty much the same DNA
          markers.
          If anyone has already had their DNA tested with another company and
          wants to exchange and compare our results please contact me via
          email. It would make my New Year if even one person did that to start
          with.

          Thanks for reading.
          Good Luck
          Tony
        • hennessy7@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2008
            Tony,

            How far back has your testing gone? I'd be interested in seeing the
            migration route or routes. And why can't women participate in this
            project?

            Christine Hernnessy

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
              Hi Tony,

              I am a Hennessy through marriage, however my husband is willing to have the
              DNA test. As you know we are in Liverpool also, but our verbal history is that
              we originated from Waterford.

              How do we complete the test? It would be nice to find a link to other
              families, as it might knock down our brick wall.

              Our family story indicates James Hennessy born Ireland ended p in Liverpool
              in 1881, married 1882. We have no siblings other than his father was John a
              carter by trade.

              The story passed down by all his children indicates he went overseas to
              Canada or America with his brother, they set up a successful business as
              cartwright/wheelwrights. Then James fell out with his brother and woke up on a ship
              heading back to England. We assume that's how he was in Liverpool on his own.
              No one knows the brothers name, or if he does originate from Waterford
              Ireland.

              I have collected a lot of information over the years, with the spelling
              changing from Hennessey to Hennessy.

              James had children John, William, Ellen, Robert and Richard. born 1883 to
              1892 all in Liverpool England.

              If any of this sounds familiar, please get in touch.

              Gill

            • RJ
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                Tony,

                I have just order the larger kit for my husband, Michael Hennessey. We have recently found out from one of the great grandchildren of Walter Hennessey, that he would sit when the children on his knee singing a song about the Orangemen of Ireland. We then discovered that his family came from Belfast, Ireland. There my search has hit a lot of brick walls. This is what I have so far.

                James Hennessey was the father (mother's name unknown). Children: Michael, Eugene, Puiny, Mary and John. John is my husbands great great grandfather. He came to this country when he was 16 and went into farming after marrying Elizabeth White from NJ. They lived in Long Branch, Monmouth Cnty, NJ (or the area) for the rest of their lives. Their children were either fishermen, firemen or policemen. They had 12 children: Garrett, James, John, Michael, Edward, Anna Rebecca, Mary Elizabeth, Jerdon, Francis Emma, George Washington, Walter E., and Margaret.

                If you any of your readers have a connection with this family, please let me know.

                God bless and Happy New Year,

                RJ

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                  --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, geedingle8@... wrote:

                  > Hi Tony,
                  >
                  > I am a Hennessy through marriage, however my husband is willing to
                  have the
                  > DNA test. As you know we are in Liverpool also, but our verbal
                  history is that
                  > we originated from Waterford.
                  >
                  > How do we complete the test? It would be nice to find a link to
                  other
                  > families, as it might knock down our brick wall.
                  >
                  > Our family story indicates James Hennessy born Ireland ended p in
                  Liverpool
                  > in 1881, married 1882. We have no siblings other than his father
                  was John a
                  > carter by trade.
                  >
                  > The story passed down by all his children indicates he went
                  overseas to
                  > Canada or America with his brother, they set up a successful
                  business as
                  > cartwright/wheelwrights. Then James fell out with his brother and
                  woke up on a ship
                  > heading back to England. We assume that's how he was in Liverpool
                  on his own.
                  > No one knows the brothers name, or if he does originate from
                  Waterford
                  > Ireland.
                  >
                  > I have collected a lot of information over the years, with the
                  spelling
                  > changing from Hennessey to Hennessy.
                  >
                  > James had children John, William, Ellen, Robert and Richard. born
                  > 1892 all in Liverpool England.
                  >
                  > If any of this sounds familiar, please get in touch.
                  >
                  > Gill
                  >
                  > Hi Gill
                  all you need to do is get on to the Ancestry.Com site and click on
                  the DNA link in the top. Everything from then on is pretty straight
                  forward. You order, they send out a pack of three swabs which you
                  move up and down the inside of your mouth. You post them back and
                  within 2-3 weeks they send you an email to tell you how you log on
                  and you can then view all the people who have similar DNA who are
                  registered with them. I have 250 everything from 3-6 generations away
                  up to 40 (I think). By the way - a useful tip this because I keep
                  coming across similar problems - fast for 4 hours before taking the
                  test and don't brush your teeth or use mouthwash. I rinsed my mouth
                  with warm boiled water before I did it just in case there was any
                  milk residue and they thought I was related to the Cow family from
                  Wales!
                  Gill, if you know of any other Hennesseys from all the contacts
                  you've made see if they will participate. It doesn't matter where in
                  Ireland but Waterford is only a spit away from Cork and I have family
                  in both places.
                  Good Luck
                  Tony

                • tonynse1
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                    --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, hennessy7@... wrote:

                    > Tony,
                    >
                    > How far back has your testing gone? I'd be interested in seeing the
                    > migration route or routes. And why can't women participate in this
                    > project?
                    >
                    > Christine Hernnessy
                    >

                    > Hi Christine
                    it shows the migration pattern from your DNA but that only ties up
                    with what we know already know about most of the Irish, including the
                    Hennesseys. That is we first arrived in Europe from West Asia during
                    the Upper Paleolithic period (35,000-40,000 years ago). We then
                    settled on the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal) before hopping
                    over to Ireland in a series of waves over a few thousand years. The
                    Hennesseys are thought to be from one of the earlier tribes to do
                    this.
                    Women can't take the test because the testing reveals Y-DNA results
                    only and so goes from son to father to Grandfather etc etc.
                    Have a look at the Ancestry .Com site - click on DNA and it will be
                    explained better than I can do it. The women only test is the mtdna
                    but this won't reveal your paternal ancestry. Again, this is
                    explained there.
                    I hope this explains it in some way for you Christine - if you have a
                    male Hennessey still alive I'm sure they will be willing to
                    participate.
                    Good Luck
                    Tony

                    __
                    > http://webmail.aol.com

                  • tonynse1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                      --- In HENNESSY@yahoogroups.com, RJ <fourmat@...> wrote:

                      > Tony,
                      >
                      > I have just order the larger kit for my husband, Michael
                      Hennessey. We have recently found out from one of the great
                      grandchildren of Walter Hennessey, that he would sit when the
                      children on his knee singing a song about the Orangemen of Ireland.
                      We then discovered that his family came from Belfast, Ireland. There
                      my search has hit a lot of brick walls. This is what I have so far.

                      > James Hennessey was the father (mother's name unknown).
                      Children: Michael, Eugene, Puiny, Mary and John. John is my
                      husbands great great grandfather. He came to this country when he
                      was 16 and went into farming after marrying Elizabeth White from NJ.
                      They lived in Long Branch, Monmouth Cnty, NJ (or the area) for the
                      rest of their lives. Their children were either fishermen, firemen
                      or policemen. They had 12 children: Garrett, James, John, Michael,
                      Edward, Anna Rebecca, Mary Elizabeth, Jerdon, Francis Emma, George
                      Washington, Walter E., and Margaret.

                      > If you any of your readers have a connection with this family,
                      please let me know.

                      > God bless and Happy New Year,
                      >
                      > RJ

                      Hi RJ that's good news that your husband is to take the test. I hope
                      I'll meet you on the Ancestry comparison page as close relatives.
                      The song that your talking about is probably 'The Sash' which for
                      some strange reason was sung by both Catholics and Protestants alike
                      in Ireland. I've got a copy by the Dubliners somewhere. A lovely tune!
                      Good Luck
                      Tony

                    • RJ
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2008
                        Tony,

                        I would to be able to hear the song, "The Sash". Our Irish were protestants and it caused quite a few rifts in the family when Ira (I think that they named him after the Irish Republican Army -- he was quite a rebel) married a good catholic woman. His father had recently married someone that was 34 years younger than he. Talk about robbing the craddle. I guess it was something that ran in the family (or runs). John Hennessey, Jr. was Ira's father. Ira's son, Ira (aka Charles) married someone 10 years younger. His son, Michael, married me, 15 years younger.

                        I hope that oneday we will be connected and break down some of these brick walls. It is very hard to do research across the pond. My husband and I would love to take a trip to Ireland one day after we find out exactly where our roots are.

                        God Bless,

                        RJ

                      • Larry
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2008
                          Hi RJ,

                          You can go here
                          http://cityofoaks.home.netcom.com/tunes/SashMyFatherWore.html and see
                          the lyrics and there is bagpipe music playing the song as well.

                          Larry