Re: [HENNESSY/ EY Genealogy Looking for Help

  • hambrown@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hello Maree,
      My grandfather Michael Hennessey (Mickel on his tombstone), whom I never
      met but have information on from my mother, migrated to America in 1885.

      A cousin said he was from County Clare or County Mayo. He was born May
      1870, the date being on the 1900 Kansas City, MO census records, along
      with his migration year.
      His wife, Ellen Downs (daughter of John Downs and Elizabeth Cotter) was
      born in either County Clare or Mayo in April 1870 and she migrated in
      1889. She had a number of siblings who migrated over a number of years.
      My mother said the first children here saved money to send for the next
      stayed in Ireland.
      I know nothing about Michael Hennessey's family.

      The names of Michael (Michel) Hennessey and Ellen Down's children are
      Agnes b Dec, 1891, Michael b Dec 1893, Dennis b Oct 1894, Mary Ellen b
      Oct 1896, Elizabeth b 1898c, Susie and Margaret (twins) b 1903c and John
      Hennessey b 1905?. I knew them all.
      Agnes married 1. Charlie Scutters 2. Wally Blais. Michael married but I
      do not have her name. Mary Ellen married Fred V. Keen, Elizabeth married
      Bertram Denney, Susie married Ray Erisman, Margaret married Ralph
      Robinson, and John married Lucille __?__. Mary Ellen, Susie, Margaret
      and John lived and died in Kansas City MO.area and Michael, Agnes, and
      Elizabeth lived and died in the Chicago IL area.

      The children of John Downs and Elizabeth Cotter are: Ellen, Susan, Mary,
      Kathleen, Jenny, Tom, and John that migrated, and Betty who stayed in
      Ireland.
      Ellen married Michael Hennessey. Susan married Michael Runn (Wren).
      Mary married Michael O'Conner ( I remember their daughter Marie O'Conner
      Van Horn), Kathleen married George Stevens (sp?).
      Jenny Sue married Richard DeKruyff and a second marriage to a Stainbrook.
      The boys remained bachelors.

      Michael and Ellen Hennessey died Kansas City as did Elizabeth Downs.
      Buried in Old St Mary's cemetery.
      Mickel and Ellen in the same grave. The name is spelled Hennessey on the
      tombstone. Elizabeth Downs in the same grave with her son.
      I believe the families were Catholic as I have the baptism records of
      Mary Ellen and Dennis Hennessey and some death records from the Catholic
      Church in Kansas City.
      If you ever run across any of these people in County Clare I would love
      to hear about them.

      Mary Brown

    • maree white
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi Mary,
        I think probably our Henness(e)y will not match up, but I do have a
        Michael Hennessy born Ennistymon, Clare, on 12/3/1860. This research
        was done by our a body in Melbourne Australia (The State Trustees
        Victoria) as part of a probate distribution. His parents were John
        Hennessy b 1822 and Catherine Quinn b 1824. Micheal was on of 8
        children, 5 of whom migrated to Australia, 2 stayed in Ireland and I am
        not sure about Micheal.
        Interestingly, this is the only information I have on this Micheal
        Hennessy. He appears not to have migrated to Australia and seems to
        have fallen off the map as it were. There was no death or marriage dates
        found for him in Ireland. (all of his siblings have death dates or
        marriage dates).
        I guess 10 years difference in birth is probably too big a jump for it
        to be the same person, unless he wanted to lower his age for immigration
        purposes (that was not an uncommon event with regard to immigration to
        Australia).

        I guess this will not be of much help, but I wish you the best in your
        search.

        Cheers,
        maree