Looking for Help

  • Michael Hennessey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27 1:53 PM
      Hi all,
      I joined the group a while ago buy haven't had the time to really get started. I know little to nothing about my grandfather and his family (he died when my father was young) except for what was in his obituary. If anyone has any information or if you may be connected in someway let me know. I hope this isn't to broad.

      Thanks Mike Hennessey

      Grandfather - William A. Hennessey Born February 18, 1875 in Albany NY
      Died Wednesday September 22, 1955

      He was the last surviving member of his family
      Mother was Sarah E. Callen Hennessey
      Married twice -
      1st wife - unknown
      2nd wife Gladys (remarried) Pulver now deceased
      Children
      Martin A Hennessey - Glens Falls
      Robert A Hennessey
      William Jr.
      Michael J Hennessey (my father)
      James Hennessey
      Joseph Hennessey
      Timothy died at an early age I believe 4

      Jobs worked for the Mohawk and Hudson Humane Society for nearly half a century was transferred to Plattsburg to start it there assumed duties of probation officer and attendance officer for all public and parochial schools in Plattsburg, NY
      Was a white slave officer?
      U.S. Secret Service during WWI
      Chief of Police Plattsburg NY

      He retired under the law when the duties were transferred to the County Dept. of Public Welfare

      Again not sure where to start or if any of you may be looking for some of the same info. Thanks for any and all help!
      ~Mike

    • maree white
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28 5:34 AM
        Dear Michael,
        I am currently doing my Hennessy research and had been stuck at the Co
        Clare level until I got access to an Administration order last week on a
        gt aunt who died here in Australia.
        My Hennessy's, were John Hennessy (b 1822) who married a Catherine Quinn
        (b 1824) in Ennistymon in Clare. John was a Tailor and I think lived
        either in Ennistymon itself or in Deer Park Upper which seems to be a
        suburb. Several (but not all) of Johns children emigrated to Australia.
        In the 1901 Clare census (available on the Clare Library web site) there
        are very few Hennessys left in Clare.
        I am thinking perhaps some emigrated to the US as well.
        If you think your Hennessy's may have come from Clare keep in touch as I
        am expecting more info from the State Trustees of Victoria next week.
        To anyone that may think they have a connection to the Quinns/Hennessys
        of Clare, I would be so grateful of any info.

        Best wishes,
        maree
        mareewhite@...

      • hambrown@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hello Maree,
          My grandfather Michael Hennessey (Mickel on his tombstone), whom I never
          met but have information on from my mother, migrated to America in 1885.

          A cousin said he was from County Clare or County Mayo. He was born May
          1870, the date being on the 1900 Kansas City, MO census records, along
          with his migration year.
          His wife, Ellen Downs (daughter of John Downs and Elizabeth Cotter) was
          born in either County Clare or Mayo in April 1870 and she migrated in
          1889. She had a number of siblings who migrated over a number of years.
          My mother said the first children here saved money to send for the next
          stayed in Ireland.
          I know nothing about Michael Hennessey's family.

          The names of Michael (Michel) Hennessey and Ellen Down's children are
          Agnes b Dec, 1891, Michael b Dec 1893, Dennis b Oct 1894, Mary Ellen b
          Oct 1896, Elizabeth b 1898c, Susie and Margaret (twins) b 1903c and John
          Hennessey b 1905?. I knew them all.
          Agnes married 1. Charlie Scutters 2. Wally Blais. Michael married but I
          do not have her name. Mary Ellen married Fred V. Keen, Elizabeth married
          Bertram Denney, Susie married Ray Erisman, Margaret married Ralph
          Robinson, and John married Lucille __?__. Mary Ellen, Susie, Margaret
          and John lived and died in Kansas City MO.area and Michael, Agnes, and
          Elizabeth lived and died in the Chicago IL area.

          The children of John Downs and Elizabeth Cotter are: Ellen, Susan, Mary,
          Kathleen, Jenny, Tom, and John that migrated, and Betty who stayed in
          Ireland.
          Ellen married Michael Hennessey. Susan married Michael Runn (Wren).
          Mary married Michael O'Conner ( I remember their daughter Marie O'Conner
          Van Horn), Kathleen married George Stevens (sp?).
          Jenny Sue married Richard DeKruyff and a second marriage to a Stainbrook.
          The boys remained bachelors.

          Michael and Ellen Hennessey died Kansas City as did Elizabeth Downs.
          Buried in Old St Mary's cemetery.
          Mickel and Ellen in the same grave. The name is spelled Hennessey on the
          tombstone. Elizabeth Downs in the same grave with her son.
          I believe the families were Catholic as I have the baptism records of
          Mary Ellen and Dennis Hennessey and some death records from the Catholic
          Church in Kansas City.
          If you ever run across any of these people in County Clare I would love
          to hear about them.

          Mary Brown

        • maree white
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            Hi Mary,
            I think probably our Henness(e)y will not match up, but I do have a
            Michael Hennessy born Ennistymon, Clare, on 12/3/1860. This research
            was done by our a body in Melbourne Australia (The State Trustees
            Victoria) as part of a probate distribution. His parents were John
            Hennessy b 1822 and Catherine Quinn b 1824. Micheal was on of 8
            children, 5 of whom migrated to Australia, 2 stayed in Ireland and I am
            not sure about Micheal.
            Interestingly, this is the only information I have on this Micheal
            Hennessy. He appears not to have migrated to Australia and seems to
            have fallen off the map as it were. There was no death or marriage dates
            found for him in Ireland. (all of his siblings have death dates or
            marriage dates).
            I guess 10 years difference in birth is probably too big a jump for it
            to be the same person, unless he wanted to lower his age for immigration
            purposes (that was not an uncommon event with regard to immigration to
            Australia).

            I guess this will not be of much help, but I wish you the best in your
            search.

            Cheers,
            maree