Re: name spelling

  • THenne1713@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      In a message dated 7/31/2004 3:43:57 PM Central Standard Time,
      hambrown@... writes:

      Hello Bill,
      Sorry, but I believe there is no connection between our two Hennessey
      families.
      My grandfather was Michael Hennessey born Ireland about 1868. He is 42
      years old on the 1910 census.
      He migrated in 1885 or 1888 from either County Clare or County Mayo. The
      date on the census tape is not too clear. I got the county names from a
      second cousin in Chicago, but she did not know which of my grandparents
      were from which county. She is the granddaughter of their oldest child,
      Agnes, and remembers her grandmother Hennessey. The census also says
      that Michael's father and mother were both born in Ireland. And the same
      for his wife. No Newfoundland.
      Also, according to baptism records my grandfather's name was spelled
      Hennessey.
      I didn't realize there were so many Hennesseys in the world. Sorry I
      couldn't help you. Mary

      Spellings of "ssy" or "ssey" appears to be of no consequence, especially if
      the record is not a "primary" record. A primary record is defined as one
      where the data was supplied or recorded by the person in question, preferably in
      THEIR handwriting. Even this can be a problem if you have trouble reading
      the script, due to handwriting. Example, check your own mail, and see how
      often YOUR name is mis-spelled. My gf, "Terence", is listed in the census
      Index as both "Terence" and "Lawrence", because they were unsure of the
      transcription.
      Terry/ Memphis