Question: Suggestions for a late reader.

  • Laura Grace Weldon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2011
      We're relaxed homeschoolers but I can't relax about my son's inability to read. He's going to be 10 this winter. Yes, I've read to him since he was young. Yes, I've tried all sorts of methods. And yes, I continue to sit with him to write and sound out words. I not only worry about his learning but also his self-esteem now that his younger sister is reading easily. If parents of late readers have any suggestions, I'm open. Jennifer Y.
    • debra
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
        One of my daughters read at around 7, the other was around 9 1/2.
        I did all the "right" things: played reading games, printed out phonics worksheets,read books all the time, tried to get her to sound out words.

        One day, she told me that she hated to read. I was dismayed and I felt that I was a contender for the "bad mommy" award. Then a couple of things happened. I read Insult to Intelligence, a pretty cool book by Frank Smith. He writes about reading and learning. But the most important thing was that I relaxed. I stopped worrying.
        We continued to read together. Lots and lots. And then one day, my daughter said, "Mom, I think it's time I read chapter books." We went to the book store and she chose several books. I was pretty sure they'd be too difficult for my fledgling reader. But she loved them, and decided to read every book that author had written. She still reads voraciously.

        I have learned that my children learn in their own time, at their own way. No one will write on my daughter's tombstone that she learned to read at 9 1/2. It hardly matters.

        Debra Bures