Question: What about homeschool blogger privacy issues?

  • Laura Grace Weldon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2011
      "My friend has a very popular homeschool blog. Several times she has written posts about activities that involved my children and included photos of them. I've told her I'm uncomfortable about this but she's so caught up that her camera is ever present. I hate to stop seeing her, especially since our kids get along so well. Any suggestions?"

      non-blogging mom

      Your answer to this question may be published in the print issue of Home Education Magazine. Please sign your name as you wish it to appear, including location if you'd like. We must have your response by our deadline, August 1 2011
    • Susan Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2011
        Laura,

        As a former magazine editor, I can tell you that posting of your children's
        pictures without written consent is legally shaky. (I'm not a lawyer so I
        won't give legal details.) You have every right to ask, or even demand, that
        identifiable photos of your children be removed.

        But that doesn't really solve your problem. It is especially hard when the
        children are close.

        Rather than just state that you're uncomfortable, respectfully ask her to
        remove your children's photos and not use them again. Explain to her your
        concerns. It's really possible that she didn't get it. Do this at a time
        that you and she are chatting without the distraction of the activity or
        children.

        At some point, however, you may need to refrain from some activities. You
        will be able to teach your children a valuable lesson about standing on
        principles that you feel strongly about. In the long run that's more
        important than a few minutes of fun.

        Susan K. Stewart
        "Preschool: At What Cost?"
        Www.betterthanpreschool.com