Re: New SIR-160: No OTA at all!

  • mhensley_sj
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
      It's a moot point right now, since the stations are back up and won't
      be back off-the-air (at least by schedule) until Monday morning.

      The question about Sutro stations being off-the-air comes up often,
      which is why people are kinda giving you a hard time about it.

      I don't know enough about the different districts of San Francisco to
      know where you live. In general, from San Francisco, there are
      several different options outside of the city.

      To the north, you have KTLN on channel 47-1, KRCB on channel 23-1 (22-
      1) and KFTY on channel 54-1 (50-1).
      To the east, you **may** be lucky enough to get the Sacramento-
      Stockton (Walnut Grove) stations, but that's not likely.
      To the south-east, you have KSTS on 49-1 (48-1), KNTV on 49-2 (48-2),
      KDTV on 51-1 (14-1), and KICU on 52-1 (36-1).
      To the south-south-east, you have KNTV on 12-1 (11-1)
      To the south, you have KTSF 27-1 (26-1) and KKPX 41-1 (65-1)

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
        Thanks!

        Actually, not a moot point at all. Since I know you are receiving
        from Sutro, and I can not, I now know that there is something wrong
        with either my antenna or my tuner. I will return the antenna and
        try another.

        I looked up the stations you so graciously provided me on
        Antennaweb.org, tried aiming and tuning, and got nothing. This
        confirms my suspicion.

        Thank you for the advice.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj"

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
          I have the same receiver. Be sure when you're doing a channel scan
          that you select "ALL" channels, and be sure your antenna is plugged
          into the top antenna jack (I think it's marked "air"), not "cable).

          Regardless of Sutro digital signals, you should still have a bunch of
          analog channels. Are you getting Sutro analog channels at all?

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
            I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have tried
            it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.

            I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I have
            plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input just
            to check. No real difference. I have tried three different headings,
            as recommended by Antennaweb.org.

            Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
            titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
            rooftop antenna).

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
              That's probably the problem right there. Indoor antennas just don't
              work all that well for most people. You really need an outdoor
              antenna, located above the roofline. The antenna most people seem to
              have luck with is the ChannelMaster 8-way bow-tie. I think it's the
              CM4228, if memory serves. It's only UHF, but all of the digital
              stations in this area are UHF except KNTV on channel 12-1 (11-1 on
              your receiver)...however, they are also multicasting with KSTS on
              digital channel 49 -- 48 on your receiver (KSTS is on 48-1, KNTV is
              on 48-2).

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna. You
                can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.

                Bobby C

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                tried
                > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                >
                > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I have
                > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input just
                > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                headings,
                > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                >
                > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                > rooftop antenna).

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Thank you for the input. I will try the SS first, then move up to a
                  ChannelMaster or similar.

                  wrote:
                  > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                  You
                  > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                  >
                  > Bobby C
                  >
                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                  > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                  > tried
                  > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                  > >
                  > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                  have
                  > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                  just
                  > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                  > headings,
                  > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                  > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                  > > rooftop antenna).

                • Larry Katzeff
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Scott,

                    I live in Lakeshore District about 3 miles from Sutro and I am using cheap Radio Shack UHF antenna mounted on the roof. I get a great reception, after 8:00 pm via Sony SD200 box.

                    Larry

                    wrote:
                    > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                    You
                    > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                    >
                    > Bobby C
                    >
                    > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                    > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                    > tried
                    > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                    > >
                    > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                    have
                    > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                    just
                    > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                    > headings,
                    > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                    > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                    > > rooftop antenna).

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • Larry Katzeff
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Scott,

                      I live in Lakeshore District about 3 miles from Sutro and I am using cheap Radio Shack UHF antenna mounted on the roof. I get a great reception, after 8:00 pm via Sony SD200 box.

                      PS. Ypu can borrow my SS which I don't use and try it out first.

                      Larry

                      wrote:
                      > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                      You
                      > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                      >
                      > Bobby C
                      >
                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                      > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                      > tried
                      > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                      > >
                      > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                      have
                      > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                      just
                      > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                      > headings,
                      > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                      > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                      > > rooftop antenna).

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • sliderule1768
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Scott,

                        A couple of caveats with the 160. It is extremely heat sensitive.
                        If anything is on top of it, it will overheat and lose OTA channels.

                        I have had to unplug the receiver to reset it when I have been unable
                        to receive OTA - I thought my attenna had gone bad also. After a 5
                        minute wait I plugged it back in and the channels all came back.

                        hth.......sliderule

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                        > Thank you for the input. I will try the SS first, then move up to a
                        > ChannelMaster or similar.
                        >
                        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@p...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                        > You
                        > > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                        > >
                        > > Bobby C
                        > >
                        > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...>
                        wrote:
                        > > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                        > > tried
                        > > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                        > > >
                        > > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                        > have
                        > > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                        > just
                        > > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                        > > headings,
                        > > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                        > > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                        > > > rooftop antenna).

                      • john_v_h
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Scott, perhaps you are getting too strong a signal, being so close to the transmitters and using amplification on top of it. Try turning the gain all the way down to zero or switch to an unamplified antenna. You could also try installing an FM trap in case you are picking up too much FM from Sutro.
                        • Rocky Mullin
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                            i have some great decives for keeping components cool, BTW.

                            --
                            Rocky Mullin |
                            http://votetoimpeach.org/ |

                            "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                            The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                            who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                          • Chris Rempel
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 1, 2004
                              > Why post it Chris, nobody looks at anything but their own question
                              > anyway.... :-)

                              I hear the older and more experianced you get, the more cinical you become.
                              I know it's happening to me.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 2, 2004
                                Thanks to those who pitched in with good advice.

                                I plugged in a Silver Sensor, and within minutes I had eight digital
                                channels, ranging from 93 to 100%.

                                Don't know what was wrong with that RS antenna, but this sure beats
                                doing the roof thing!

                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rocky Mullin <caliban@s...>

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2, 2004
                                  It was probably the amplifier in the antenna that was overloaded. A lot of
                                  times a better passive antenna is better than a cheap amplified one.

                                  Chris aka the antenna doctor

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 2, 2004
                                    Awesome! SF is tricky because there are so many hills and tall
                                    buildings. Some people are really close to Sutro and can't get
                                    anything.

                                  • Don Hackler
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 3, 2004
                                      The radiated power shoots out from Sutro Tower in a thin horizontal
                                      plane several hundred feet high. The areas close in generally don't get
                                      as much signal as those somewhat farther away.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 3, 2004
                                        I'm glad it worked out Scott. Happy viewing...

                                        Bobby C

                                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                                        > Thanks to those who pitched in with good advice.
                                        >
                                        > I plugged in a Silver Sensor, and within minutes I had eight
                                        digital
                                        > channels, ranging from 93 to 100%.
                                        >
                                        > Don't know what was wrong with that RS antenna, but this sure beats
                                        > doing the roof thing!

                                      • Ralph J. Allen
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 3, 2004
                                          bobby, I received a email from you. Did you have some questions in regards to HDTV?
                                          Ralph