Re: New SIR-160: No OTA at all!

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2004
      That is all well and good...except for two things:

      First, there is a lot of conflicting information. I have searched
      and read many, many posts and discussions between this site and
      avsforum, and the answer is not at all clear.

      Second, rather than suggesting to a new poster that they check the
      FAQ (which would take less typing), some people feel an obligation
      to pound their chest and belittle someone with sarcasm and
      condescending "Don't you know anything?" comments. I am trained in a
      narrow field of expertise, yet consider it my obligation to be
      polite and explain in lay terms to many people what they would like
      to know.

      So...just some common courtesy for a person confused by differing
      information from different sources. I think that is a simple and
      polite request.

      Thanks to anybody who can help me out. I do most sincerely
      appreciate it, and will gladly return the favor.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice Moroney"
      <mossym@s...> wrote:
      > I think people would just like you to do a search before you ask a
      question,
      > so that it isn't being answered for the hundredth time, like your
      question
      > has been.
      >

      > _____

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c8v4ap5/M=268585.4464812.5643763.1261774/D
      =egroup

      web/S=1705017563:HM/EXP=1075699309/A=1950447/R=0/*http:/ashnin.com/cl
      k/muryu
      > taitakenattogyo?YH=4464812&yhad=1950447> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=268585.4464812.5643763.1261774/D=egroupmai
      > l/S=:HM/A=1950447/rand=323781060>
      >

      > _____

      subject=Unsubscribe>

    • mhensley_sj
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1 12:00 AM
        It's a moot point right now, since the stations are back up and won't
        be back off-the-air (at least by schedule) until Monday morning.

        The question about Sutro stations being off-the-air comes up often,
        which is why people are kinda giving you a hard time about it.

        I don't know enough about the different districts of San Francisco to
        know where you live. In general, from San Francisco, there are
        several different options outside of the city.

        To the north, you have KTLN on channel 47-1, KRCB on channel 23-1 (22-
        1) and KFTY on channel 54-1 (50-1).
        To the east, you **may** be lucky enough to get the Sacramento-
        Stockton (Walnut Grove) stations, but that's not likely.
        To the south-east, you have KSTS on 49-1 (48-1), KNTV on 49-2 (48-2),
        KDTV on 51-1 (14-1), and KICU on 52-1 (36-1).
        To the south-south-east, you have KNTV on 12-1 (11-1)
        To the south, you have KTSF 27-1 (26-1) and KKPX 41-1 (65-1)

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1 12:26 AM
          Thanks!

          Actually, not a moot point at all. Since I know you are receiving
          from Sutro, and I can not, I now know that there is something wrong
          with either my antenna or my tuner. I will return the antenna and
          try another.

          I looked up the stations you so graciously provided me on
          Antennaweb.org, tried aiming and tuning, and got nothing. This
          confirms my suspicion.

          Thank you for the advice.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj"

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1 12:45 AM
            I have the same receiver. Be sure when you're doing a channel scan
            that you select "ALL" channels, and be sure your antenna is plugged
            into the top antenna jack (I think it's marked "air"), not "cable).

            Regardless of Sutro digital signals, you should still have a bunch of
            analog channels. Are you getting Sutro analog channels at all?

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1 12:51 AM
              I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have tried
              it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.

              I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I have
              plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input just
              to check. No real difference. I have tried three different headings,
              as recommended by Antennaweb.org.

              Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
              titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
              rooftop antenna).

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1 4:11 AM
                That's probably the problem right there. Indoor antennas just don't
                work all that well for most people. You really need an outdoor
                antenna, located above the roofline. The antenna most people seem to
                have luck with is the ChannelMaster 8-way bow-tie. I think it's the
                CM4228, if memory serves. It's only UHF, but all of the digital
                stations in this area are UHF except KNTV on channel 12-1 (11-1 on
                your receiver)...however, they are also multicasting with KSTS on
                digital channel 49 -- 48 on your receiver (KSTS is on 48-1, KNTV is
                on 48-2).

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1 7:28 AM
                  As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna. You
                  can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.

                  Bobby C

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                  > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                  tried
                  > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                  >
                  > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I have
                  > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input just
                  > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                  headings,
                  > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                  >
                  > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                  > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                  > rooftop antenna).

                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 1 9:22 AM
                    Thank you for the input. I will try the SS first, then move up to a
                    ChannelMaster or similar.

                    wrote:
                    > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                    You
                    > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                    >
                    > Bobby C
                    >
                    > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                    > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                    > tried
                    > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                    > >
                    > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                    have
                    > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                    just
                    > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                    > headings,
                    > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                    > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                    > > rooftop antenna).

                  • Larry Katzeff
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 1 10:56 AM
                      Scott,

                      I live in Lakeshore District about 3 miles from Sutro and I am using cheap Radio Shack UHF antenna mounted on the roof. I get a great reception, after 8:00 pm via Sony SD200 box.

                      Larry

                      wrote:
                      > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                      You
                      > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                      >
                      > Bobby C
                      >
                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                      > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                      > tried
                      > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                      > >
                      > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                      have
                      > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                      just
                      > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                      > headings,
                      > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                      > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                      > > rooftop antenna).

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Larry Katzeff
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 1 10:57 AM
                        Scott,

                        I live in Lakeshore District about 3 miles from Sutro and I am using cheap Radio Shack UHF antenna mounted on the roof. I get a great reception, after 8:00 pm via Sony SD200 box.

                        PS. Ypu can borrow my SS which I don't use and try it out first.

                        Larry

                        wrote:
                        > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                        You
                        > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                        >
                        > Bobby C
                        >
                        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                        > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                        > tried
                        > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                        > >
                        > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                        have
                        > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                        just
                        > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                        > headings,
                        > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                        > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                        > > rooftop antenna).

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • sliderule1768
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 1 12:23 PM
                          Scott,

                          A couple of caveats with the 160. It is extremely heat sensitive.
                          If anything is on top of it, it will overheat and lose OTA channels.

                          I have had to unplug the receiver to reset it when I have been unable
                          to receive OTA - I thought my attenna had gone bad also. After a 5
                          minute wait I plugged it back in and the channels all came back.

                          hth.......sliderule

                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                          > Thank you for the input. I will try the SS first, then move up to a
                          > ChannelMaster or similar.
                          >
                          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@p...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > As close as you are, try a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
                          > You
                          > > can get them at Circuit city and Best Buy.
                          > >
                          > > Bobby C
                          > >
                          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...>
                          wrote:
                          > > > I am using a Radio Shack 1880 indoor powered antenna, and have
                          > > tried
                          > > > it with the power/gain all the way up and nearly off.
                          > > >
                          > > > I can get a few analog stations, with terrible picture. Yes, I
                          > have
                          > > > plugged it into the 'Air' input, as well as the 'Cable' input
                          > just
                          > > > to check. No real difference. I have tried three different
                          > > headings,
                          > > > as recommended by Antennaweb.org.
                          > > >
                          > > > Thank you in advance for any further suggestions. I just tried
                          > > > titantv.com, and they recommend Antennacraft AC-9 ( I guess a
                          > > > rooftop antenna).

                        • john_v_h
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 1 1:21 PM
                            Scott, perhaps you are getting too strong a signal, being so close to the transmitters and using amplification on top of it. Try turning the gain all the way down to zero or switch to an unamplified antenna. You could also try installing an FM trap in case you are picking up too much FM from Sutro.
                          • Rocky Mullin
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 1 2:00 PM
                              i have some great decives for keeping components cool, BTW.

                              --
                              Rocky Mullin |
                              http://votetoimpeach.org/ |

                              "It is enough that the people know there was an election.
                              The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people
                              who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
                            • Chris Rempel
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 1 10:50 PM
                                > Why post it Chris, nobody looks at anything but their own question
                                > anyway.... :-)

                                I hear the older and more experianced you get, the more cinical you become.
                                I know it's happening to me.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 2 7:45 PM
                                  Thanks to those who pitched in with good advice.

                                  I plugged in a Silver Sensor, and within minutes I had eight digital
                                  channels, ranging from 93 to 100%.

                                  Don't know what was wrong with that RS antenna, but this sure beats
                                  doing the roof thing!

                                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Rocky Mullin <caliban@s...>

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 2 9:59 PM
                                    It was probably the amplifier in the antenna that was overloaded. A lot of
                                    times a better passive antenna is better than a cheap amplified one.

                                    Chris aka the antenna doctor

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 2 11:50 PM
                                      Awesome! SF is tricky because there are so many hills and tall
                                      buildings. Some people are really close to Sutro and can't get
                                      anything.

                                    • Don Hackler
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 3 12:19 AM
                                        The radiated power shoots out from Sutro Tower in a thin horizontal
                                        plane several hundred feet high. The areas close in generally don't get
                                        as much signal as those somewhat farther away.

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 3 8:09 AM
                                          I'm glad it worked out Scott. Happy viewing...

                                          Bobby C

                                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <sawxray@p...> wrote:
                                          > Thanks to those who pitched in with good advice.
                                          >
                                          > I plugged in a Silver Sensor, and within minutes I had eight
                                          digital
                                          > channels, ranging from 93 to 100%.
                                          >
                                          > Don't know what was wrong with that RS antenna, but this sure beats
                                          > doing the roof thing!

                                        • Ralph J. Allen
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 3 8:36 AM
                                            bobby, I received a email from you. Did you have some questions in regards to HDTV?
                                            Ralph