Comcast 480p only?

  • j_lundergard
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Someone told me that Comcast HD is 480p only, or that there was some
      other sort of data limiting used by Comcast to fit it through the
      pipe - is this true?
    • Chris Kast
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        That's totally wrong. Comcast passes on whatever resolution the station is broadcasting in (1080i or 720p). And from what I've read in this group and on the AVS, Comcast does not do any compression from their end, where as DirecTV is known to sometimes "overly" compress their HD channels.

        Someone told me that Comcast HD is 480p only, or that there was some
        other sort of data limiting used by Comcast to fit it through the
        pipe - is this true?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12ca4gat3/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705017563:HM/EXP=1070361726/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>
        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=376163312>

      • j_lundergard
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          Whew thats a relief!
          I just ordered it yay!

          Thanks!

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Kast" <chris.kast@d...>
          wrote:
          > That's totally wrong. Comcast passes on whatever resolution the
          station is broadcasting in (1080i or 720p). And from what I've read
          in this group and on the AVS, Comcast does not do any compression
          from their end, where as DirecTV is known to sometimes "overly"
          compress their HD channels.

        • R8der
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            Chris Kast wrote:

            > That's totally wrong. Comcast passes on whatever resolution the
            > station is broadcasting in (1080i or 720p). And from what I've read
            > in this group and on the AVS, Comcast does not do any compression from
            > their end, where as DirecTV is known to sometimes "overly" compress
            > their HD channels.

            Comcast isn't simply passing through the network feeds, that much is
            certain. I don't know where the additional compression is taking place,
            but if it's not at Comcast then the affiliate is doing something with
            the feed before it gets to Comcast. There is a significant difference
            between the network feeds and what I'm seeing on Comcast, even at 720p.

            R8der
          • keenan424
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
              There may be some compression being applied but while I watched parts
              of a Harry Potter movie on HBO last night it looked and sounded great.
              I was especially impressed by the sound as I was curious as to how
              well the Comcast box would handle 5.1 material. I wish I could a-b the
              Comcast feed with the Directv feed but Directv sends the east coast
              feed of HBO-HD while the Comcast is west coast. While watching Alias
              it didn't seem the picture was as detailed as it should have been
              although on close-ups it was great. It's almost like some of it was
              shot in HD and some in scaled SD.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "j_lundergard"
              <chris_schoenfeld@y...> wrote:
              > Someone told me that Comcast HD is 480p only, or that there was some
              > other sort of data limiting used by Comcast to fit it through the
              > pipe - is this true?
            • Larry
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                <chris_schoenfeld@y...> wrote:
                > Someone told me that Comcast HD is 480p only, or that there was
                some
                > other sort of data limiting used by Comcast to fit it through the
                > pipe - is this true?

                You have an option to set up the DTC5100 to output all non HD as 480p
                if you want.
                I'm not sure where you got the 480p only. The HD offerings I get are
                at 1080i.
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                  R8der wrote:

                  > Comcast isn't simply passing through the network feeds, that much is
                  > certain. I don't know where the additional compression is taking place,
                  > but if it's not at Comcast then the affiliate is doing something with
                  > the feed before it gets to Comcast. There is a significant difference
                  > between the network feeds and what I'm seeing on Comcast, even at 720p.

                  Comcast gets the exact same signal that is feeding the KGO channel 24
                  transmitter. They're definitely playing with the feed though, because
                  they're removing 7.2 (and 7.3 when it's on there).

                • R8der
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Larry Kenney wrote:

                    > R8der wrote:
                    >
                    > > Comcast isn't simply passing through the network feeds, that much is
                    > > certain. I don't know where the additional compression is taking
                    > place,
                    > > but if it's not at Comcast then the affiliate is doing something with
                    > > the feed before it gets to Comcast. There is a significant difference
                    > > between the network feeds and what I'm seeing on Comcast, even at 720p.
                    >
                    > Comcast gets the exact same signal that is feeding the KGO channel 24
                    > transmitter. They're definitely playing with the feed though, because
                    > they're removing 7.2 (and 7.3 when it's on there).

                    Then Comcast is doing something negative with the feed before they send
                    it out. The signal looks worse via Comcast than it does from the local
                    ABC from Sac. I don't normally watch KGO unless the Sac affiliate is
                    having problems, but I turned it on last week and it looked fine. The
                    Comcast version always has some pixelization.....and to my trained eye
                    it's nearly unwatchable. Those of us who have been watching before
                    multicasting was a gleam in the network executives eyes aren't going to
                    like the future PQ.....it seems to constantly be eroding.

                    R8der
                  • jsheldonatwork
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                      I read somewhere that the typical scenerio for delivering HD via
                      cable is to limit the original stream slightly. Cable uses QAM
                      streams which has a bandwidth of around 33Mbit/sec(I'm not sure of
                      the exact numbers but it's around 30Mb/s). The OTA signal can go
                      upto 19.2Mbit/s. At that rate only one HD OTA stream can fit in a
                      QAM stream. So to get 2 OTA streams on one QAM stream, they limit
                      the bandwith to around 15Mbit/s. Supposely, in reality the OTA
                      stream rarely goes above 15Mb/s.

                      I can't remember where I say the article but a search of google
                      should turn it up.

                      Cheers,
                      Jason
                    • Tim Maestas
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                        I wonder if this problem is specific to your area or
                        your head-end. I have yet to see anything other than
                        the once in a blue moon bit of pixelization on KGO or
                        any of the other HD channels provided by comcast (save
                        for the Green Bay MNF game, which was a local
                        problem). The exception was a period of about a week
                        and a half where I had relatively frequent drop-outs -
                        but that seems to have been corrected.

                        -Tim

                        > Then Comcast is doing something negative with the
                        > feed before they send
                        > it out. The signal looks worse via Comcast than it
                        > does from the local
                        > ABC from Sac. I don't normally watch KGO unless the
                        > Sac affiliate is
                        > having problems, but I turned it on last week and it
                        > looked fine. The
                        > Comcast version always has some pixelization.....and
                        > to my trained eye
                        > it's nearly unwatchable. Those of us who have been
                        > watching before
                        > multicasting was a gleam in the network executives
                        > eyes aren't going to
                        > like the future PQ.....it seems to constantly be
                        > eroding.
                        >
                        > R8der

                        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                        http://companion.yahoo.com/
                      • R8der
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003

                          Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 3:58 PM
                          Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Comcast 480p only?

                          I wonder if this problem is specific to your area or
                          your head-end.  I have yet to see anything other than
                          the once in a blue moon bit of pixelization on KGO or
                          any of the other HD channels provided by comcast (save
                          for the Green Bay MNF game, which was a local
                          problem).  The exception was a period of about a week
                          and a half where I had relatively frequent drop-outs -
                          but that seems to have been corrected.

                          How big is your display Tim?  I can detect the most minimal macroblocking.....stuff others who are watching can't see even when I point it out.  Trust me, there is macroblocking on every ABC show via Comcast......stuff I do NOT see via OTA.  Granted, it's not there during static images.....just camera pans and fast motion across the screen.  Monday Night Football is ALWAYS a mess via Comcast.

                          R8der