NFL on HD information

  • turbo_vee
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
      does anybody have information about what all games are going to be in
      HD?I know MNF is in HD, but what about sunday games?
      information is appreciated.
      -vishal
    • web_paul2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
        If you have DirecTV, 1 CBS game (where AFC is the visiting team) per
        week will be broadcast in HDTV (on channel 70) and 2 FOX games
        (where NFC is the visiting team) per week will be broadcast in "Fox
        Widescreen" (on channels 71 and 72).

        Of course these are subject to blackout (e.g. the 49ers are
        scheduled to play on channel 71 on the 14th of September, but would
        be blacked out in the Bay Area--but presumably KTVU-DT would be
        broadcasting this game OTA in Fox Widescreen?).

        So far, they have only made the decisions about which games will be
        carried this way for the month of September:

        http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/Schedule

        ESPN's Sunday Night Football will be broadcast in HDTV on ESPNHD
        (DirecTV and Comcast in certain parts of the Bay Area).

        Monday Night Football will be broadcast in HDTV on ABC (OTA and
        Comcast in certain parts of the Bay Area).

        ... Paul

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "turbo_vee" <turbo_vee@y...>
        wrote:
        > does anybody have information about what all games are going to be
        in
        > HD?I know MNF is in HD, but what about sunday games?
        > information is appreciated.
        > -vishal
      • Peter Cold
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
          Will the CBS game be carried OTA in HDTV as well?

          --- web_paul2003 <web_paul@...> wrote:
          > If you have DirecTV, 1 CBS game (where AFC is the
          > visiting team) per
          > week will be broadcast in HDTV (on channel 70) and 2
          > FOX games
          > (where NFC is the visiting team) per week will be
          > broadcast in "Fox
          > Widescreen" (on channels 71 and 72).
          >
          > Of course these are subject to blackout (e.g. the
          > 49ers are
          > scheduled to play on channel 71 on the 14th of
          > September, but would
          > be blacked out in the Bay Area--but presumably
          > KTVU-DT would be
          > broadcasting this game OTA in Fox Widescreen?).
          >
          > So far, they have only made the decisions about
          > which games will be
          > carried this way for the month of September:

          http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/Schedule

          > ESPN's Sunday Night Football will be broadcast in
          > HDTV on ESPNHD
          > (DirecTV and Comcast in certain parts of the Bay
          > Area).
          >
          > Monday Night Football will be broadcast in HDTV on
          > ABC (OTA and
          > Comcast in certain parts of the Bay Area).
          >
          > ... Paul
          >
          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "turbo_vee"
          > <turbo_vee@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > does anybody have information about what all games
          > are going to be
          > in
          > > HD?I know MNF is in HD, but what about sunday
          > games?
          > > information is appreciated.
          > > -vishal

        • R8der
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
            Peter Cold wrote:

            > Will the CBS game be carried OTA in HDTV as well?

            According to titantv.com, the Chargers/Chiefs game this Sunday morning
            will be in HD from CBS OTA in Sac and SF. We shall see!

            R8der
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
              And for DishNetwork subs with the CBS-LA waiver, it will be on
              channel 9454.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
              > Peter Cold wrote:
              >
              > > Will the CBS game be carried OTA in HDTV as well?
              > >
              > According to titantv.com, the Chargers/Chiefs game this Sunday
              morning
              > will be in HD from CBS OTA in Sac and SF. We shall see!
              >
              > R8der
            • R8der
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                bobby6048 wrote:

                > And for DishNetwork subs with the CBS-LA waiver, it will be on
                > channel 9454.
                >
                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
                > > Peter Cold wrote:
                > >
                > > > Will the CBS game be carried OTA in HDTV as well?
                > > >
                > > According to titantv.com, the Chargers/Chiefs game this Sunday
                > morning
                > > will be in HD from CBS OTA in Sac and SF. We shall see!

                So much for DirecTV's exclusivity in this area. Hell, if nothing else I
                can pull it off the national feed via C-band. I may just do that anyway
                since it avoids any compression issues.

                Speaking of which, I was watching ABC's MNF a couple weeks ago and did
                some A/B'ing of the national feed from C-band vs. Comcast, and the
                Comcast version was definitely softer. It does appear the Comcast
                pass-thru is degrading the signal. Not to a great degree, but enough to
                make it noticeable.

                R8der
              • Mark Del Secco
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                  According to everything I've read -- the CBS HD NFL schedule,
                  the local CBS affiliate (KPIX) website, and the KCBS (Dish LA feed)
                  TV listings -- we WILL receive the Chargers/Chiefs game in HD!

                  But, as R8der says, we shall see come 10am Sunday morning....

                  -Mark in Morgan Hill

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > And for DishNetwork subs with the CBS-LA waiver, it will be on
                  > channel 9454.
                  >
                  > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
                  > > Peter Cold wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Will the CBS game be carried OTA in HDTV as well?
                  > > >
                  > > According to titantv.com, the Chargers/Chiefs game this Sunday
                  > morning
                  > > will be in HD from CBS OTA in Sac and SF. We shall see!
                  > >
                  > > R8der
                • Jon Johnsen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                    Mikes on the announcers are dead?

                    Jon Johnsen
                    JJohnsen@...
                    Richmond, CA
                  • R8der
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                      If only Al Michaels were as dead as the mikes.

                      Too bad they fixed it...that was pretty sweet while it lasted.

                      No DD5.1 via Comcast...but it's definitely 5.1 on the Sat feed.

                      Also, the video looks particularly bad tonight via Comcast.....as if they just upped the compression even more than usual.  Doing the A/B between Comcast and C-band is almost night and day now.  This isn't promising!  If this is how Comcast is going to end up looking then I won't be getting rid of my OTA receiver anytime soon!

                      R8der
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                        Update...looks like Comcast fixed the 5.1 issue, but man...the video is awful!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                          video looks good OTA...except for the skycam...yuk!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
                            A guy in Michigan has put together the new fall schedule on his web
                            site. It indicates what shows will be in HD, what shows are new, etc.
                            He says he has no information on WB and UPN yet, so those columns are
                            based on the past year.

                            http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstarlin/hdtv/Fall.htm

                            Larry
                            San Francisco