Channel Master 4221 / 3021 in Bay Area

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2003
      Do any retail stores in the Bay Area carry the Channel Master 4221
      antenna? This is the 4 Bay Bowtie antenna.

      I have seen several CM antennas locally, but none of the Bowtie style.

      Currently, I have a Radio Shack double bowtie indoor antenna that
      works pretty well. I would like to see if the 4221 performs any
      better, outside on my balcony.
    • Mel Johnson

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1 6:56 AM
          I'm in a difficult reception area. So I wanted to try
          but Schad won't allow returns.

          According to the CM site, Fry's stocks some CM
          antennas. Ace and True Value Hardware stores are
          suppose to as well but none of the ones I called have
          any TV antennas.

          Loews in Union City supposedly has them as well.

          --- Mel Johnson <mjohn1941@...> wrote:
          > Schad Electronics in San Jose usually has a good
          > supply of the ChannelMaster 4221 as well as the
          > larger 4228. You can call them at 408-275-6484.
          >
          > Todd <todd_i@...> wrote:Do any retail stores
          > in the Bay Area carry the Channel Master 4221
          > antenna? This is the 4 Bay Bowtie antenna.
          >
          > I have seen several CM antennas locally, but none of
          > the Bowtie style.
          >

          > Currently, I have a Radio Shack double bowtie indoor
          > antenna that
          > works pretty well. I would like to see if the 4221
          > performs any
          > better, outside on my balcony.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          > Terms of Service.

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Todd
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9 6:21 PM
            I bought a CM4221 at Schad today. Here is a little summary of my
            results.

            - Old Antenna: Radio Shack Double Bowtie Indoor antenna. I have
            vaulted ceilings, so I was able to mount the antenna quite high in my
            second story apartment. My reception with the bowtie was pretty good,
            I was able to get most of the major channels, especially after
            upgrading my tuner to a MyHD MDP120. But, I have some marginal
            channels, or dropouts under some conditions, that I was hoping to improve.

            - New Antenna: CM 4221, mounted on my balcony, using a simple eye-hook
            to attach it to the outside wall of my apartment which roughly faces
            Sutro. It is an easy/convenient place to mount it, but I think if I
            could mount it in a more open area I could improve its performance.

            Here is a quick A/B comparison using the two antennas into the two
            inputs of the same tuner, tested at 2PM today, 9/9/03 in overcast
            conditions. I am located in Mountain View, near the intersection of
            Shoreline and Middlefield.

            Channel, RS Indoor Bowtie Reception, CM4221 Outdoor Reception
            12, 53-58%, 53-58%
            19, 58-64%, 64-69%
            24, 58-64%, 87-93%
            27, 49-53%, 64-69%
            29, 75-81%, 93-100%
            30, 81%, 87-93%
            34, 69%, 81-87%
            39, 58-64%, 58-64%
            41, 64-69%, 19-36%
            43, 81%, 69-75%
            45, 53-60%, 36-44%
            47, 0, 0-13%
            48, 0, 0
            49, 0-13%, 0-11%
            51, 0-11%, 0-16%
            52, 44-49%, 42-49%
            56, 58-64%, 60-68%
            57, 58-64%, 81%

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Mel Johnson <mjohn1941@s...> wrote:
            > Schad Electronics in San Jose usually has a good supply of the
            ChannelMaster 4221 as well as the larger 4228. You can call them at
            408-275-6484.

            > Todd <todd_i@y...> wrote:Do any retail stores in the Bay Area carry
            the Channel Master 4221
            > antenna? This is the 4 Bay Bowtie antenna.
            >
            > I have seen several CM antennas locally, but none of the Bowtie style.
            >

            > Currently, I have a Radio Shack double bowtie indoor antenna that
            > works pretty well. I would like to see if the 4221 performs any
            > better, outside on my balcony.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Alan Crawley
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9 6:32 PM
              Message
              I live in Pleasanton. I hear that I am best off getting HD signal from Sacto. Over the Hayward Ridge issues make Sutro Tower unreasonable, although folks on this group have pointed out that Fremont would work for NBC.

              What is the hot set-up and most reasonable antenna solution?
              I used to make and install antennas as a young guy, so I am not likely to pay someone $500 to do this for me. Is there a Radio Shack UHF that works fine?
              Alan
            • ET
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9 7:57 PM
                Todd,

                It looks like, based on the numbers, the improvement is subtle for a lot of channels (worse on some).  What about qualitatively?  Do you get more channels?  Fewer dropouts?  Was the new antenna worth it?

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9 9:17 PM
                  I think it was worth it. It buys me some headroom on the channels I
                  watch the most. This is particularly important when recording, since
                  I'm not there to tweak it if a problem comes up. Recently, I've had
                  problems receiving ABC, since they are broadcasting at lower power
                  while working on their antenna. This antenna makes ABC strong enough
                  that I'm confident I won't have dropouts during Monday Night Football,
                  as I have the last few weeks.

                  I attribute the differences in reception to fine-tuning the position.
                  The indoor antenna is small and hangs free, so I can adjust the
                  angle exactly where I want it. The new antenna is on a wall, which
                  does not allow much flexibility for positioning. (Also, it gets all
                  the channels I want, so I didn't bother messing with it)

                  The other major imrpovement I have made in reception is upgrading my
                  tuner. I started with a DTC-100 a couple years ago. Good reception
                  was challenging with that. I got a MyHD MDP100, to be able to record,
                  and it had a significantly better tuner. Then, I got the MDP120,
                  which is even better. It makes it much easier to lock onto stations.

                  Considering the modest cost of these antennas, it was an easy choice
                  for me.

                  -Todd

                • tivouser
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 10 1:52 PM
                    I posted what I thought was probably the best price on an often used
                    outdoor antenna that gets generally favorable reviews in Message
                    7103: "CM 4228 @ Fry's $49.99". It's UHF only Channel Master 8 Bay.
                    If anyone has a better outdoor antenna for a better price (taking
                    into account shipping charges) please post.

                    Of course specific situations dictate individual soltutions so there
                    is no one right answer, but if you search previous posts you will
                    find lots of answers. Try searching "Pleasanton" to find others
                    experiences & comments in the area.

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Crawley" <alan@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > I live in Pleasanton. I hear that I am best off getting HD signal
                    from
                    > Sacto. Over the Hayward Ridge issues make Sutro Tower unreasonable,
                    although
                    > folks on this group have pointed out that Fremont would work for
                    NBC.

                    > What is the hot set-up and most reasonable antenna solution?
                    > I used to make and install antennas as a young guy, so I am not
                    likely to
                    > pay someone $500 to do this for me. Is there a Radio Shack UHF that
                    works
                    > fine?
                    > Alan
                  • R8der
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 10 2:43 PM
                      tivouser wrote:

                      > I posted what I thought was probably the best price on an often used
                      > outdoor antenna that gets generally favorable reviews in Message
                      > 7103: "CM 4228 @ Fry's $49.99". It's UHF only Channel Master 8 Bay.
                      > If anyone has a better outdoor antenna for a better price (taking
                      > into account shipping charges) please post.

                      This is indeed a very good price. The antenna I use in Livermore is the
                      CM4248, and I bought mine at Consumers Direct Warehouse. It's a bit
                      higher than the CM4228 when you include shipping, but there's no tax.
                      Still, these antennas are quite cheap and they are the best UHF
                      antennas in our area, IMHO.

                      http://www.consumer-direct.com/list1.cfm

                      R8der
                    • Chris Rempel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 10 2:46 PM
                        tivouser wrote:

                        >I posted what I thought was probably the best price on an often used
                        >outdoor antenna that gets generally favorable reviews in Message
                        >7103: "CM 4228 @ Fry's $49.99". It's UHF only Channel Master 8 Bay.
                        >If anyone has a better outdoor antenna for a better price (taking
                        >into account shipping charges) please post.
                        >
                        >Everybody is talking about the Channel Master 4228 as being the "best" antenna. There are many choices for antennas, so the question should be what is the best antenna for your situation. A lot of people may not need that large of an antenna. About have of you would do just fine with it's smaller cousin the 4221. The Channel Master 4221 is a 4 bay bowtie and the original design, which is cheaper and the difference in the signal strength is only 3dB which is not that significant. For those of you in hilly areas the 4248 corner reflector may also be a better choice.

                        Chris aka the antenna doctor