Newbie Question

  • peteglad
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      I live in Mountain View and receive 2-1, 29-1, 11-1 most of the time
      with no problem. However, the audio on 7-1 is inconsistent (garbled
      or mute) and 9-1 is a little sensitive. Is this normal?
    • Chris Rempel
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        What do you mean by 9-1 (CH30) being a little sensitive?  Check the signal strengths of the channels. and report back.

        peteglad wrote:

         I live in Mountain View and receive 2-1, 29-1, 11-1 most of the time
        with no problem. However, the audio on 7-1 is inconsistent (garbled
        or mute) and 9-1 is a little sensitive. Is this normal?

      • esteszoo
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2002
          I'm a new member to this group so pardon me if I'm covering old
          ground.

          I live in Saratoga and am trying to get OTA DTV, and have purchased a
          Panasonic TU-HDS20 receiver and a Radio Shack model U-75R UHF
          antenna. I hooked it up on (only a) 10' mast and pointed it towards
          S.F. I seem to be getting only a couple (note: not zero) of stations;
          primarily the Spanish language ones in the 48 - 51 range/. Once I got
          what the receiver said was "5-1", which I assume is a re-
          channelization of the DTV version of KPIX. However, when I tried to
          pull in the CBS HD primetime programming I got nothing. The automatic
          station programming on the receiver seems to ignore the numbers for
          KRON, etc. The few stations I am receiving seem to show up in a
          format that does not fill the screen on my Mistubishi widescreen.

          So, I'm trying to troubleshoot the system but there's a lot of
          variables.

          - Wrong antenna?
          - Mast not high enough?
          - Something I'm not getting about operating the TU-HDS20?
          - Other

          Grateful for any help or input. Thanks.

          Estes
        • art
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2002
            I'm not that far from you (Almaden Valley) and am able to
            get all of the SF stations (although 19/20 requires rotating
            the antenna). If you are deep under the hills, that might
            make reception difficult, but otherwise you should be o.k.
            The TU-HDS20 is hard to work with, since it doesn't have a
            signal strength indicator for OTA, and it sometimes takes a
            long time to lock even on a strong signal. I would suggest
            that you borrow a DTC-100 or another receiver that has a
            signal strength indicator to tune the antenna direction, or
            do an iterative sweep with the antenna (i.e., turn the
            antenna, wait two minutes, try to tune channels, repeat)
            until you get the best positions for the channels you want
            to see. The Spanish language channel is not at Sutro, so it
            may be that you are simply not pointed in the right
            direction. On my setup, there's about a 5 or 10 degree
            range where I get the best reception for the SF stations.

            esteszoo wrote:

            > I'm a new member to this group so pardon me if I'm covering old
            > ground.
            >
            > I live in Saratoga and am trying to get OTA DTV, and have purchased a
            > Panasonic TU-HDS20 receiver and a Radio Shack model U-75R UHF
            > antenna. I hooked it up on (only a) 10' mast and pointed it towards
            > S.F. I seem to be getting only a couple (note: not zero) of stations;
            > primarily the Spanish language ones in the 48 - 51 range/. Once I got
            > what the receiver said was "5-1", which I assume is a re-
            > channelization of the DTV version of KPIX. However, when I tried to
            > pull in the CBS HD primetime programming I got nothing. The automatic
            > station programming on the receiver seems to ignore the numbers for
            > KRON, etc. The few stations I am receiving seem to show up in a
            > format that does not fill the screen on my Mistubishi widescreen.
            >
            > So, I'm trying to troubleshoot the system but there's a lot of
            > variables.
            >
            > - Wrong antenna?
            > - Mast not high enough?
            > - Something I'm not getting about operating the TU-HDS20?
            > - Other
          • bryn4ne
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2002
              I'm not familiar with the Radio Shack antenna, but I do know that the Spanish stations broadcast from mission peak above Milpitas wich is alot closer and more direct line of sight to you in Saratoga.  If you can provide any details about your location that would help - what's your adress or Lat/Long, are you up against a hill, is the antenna outdoors, are there any obstructions nearby between you and SF - hills included?

              The formatting depends on how it is broadcast as most displays do not have the ability to format High Definition signals.  Since most programming you can currently recieve is upconverted standard definition it will not fit your screen unless it is distorted or cropped in some way.  There may be a provision in the Panasonic reciever under preferences as to how a 4:3 broadcast is viewed on a 16:9 TV.

              Perhaps the "Antenna Doctor" can comment on your antenna.

              Bryn4ne

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2002

                esteszoo wrote:

[...]

                The Radio Shack U-75 is equivalent to the Winegard 9065.  It is a small UHF corner reflector.  The number 75 comes from it's exaggerated under ideal conditions 75 mile range.  Since you are picking up the spanish channels, you are just getting across the valley to Monument Peak above Fremont.  You should also get KICU on 52.  To Get San Francisco, you need to turn the antenna more towards the west, and you probably need a much larger antenna.  Send me you name, address, phone number, and I can look up exactly where you are, and tell you which hills are in the way.  Selecting the right antenna for HDTV is trick and still experimental.

                Chris aka the antenna doctor

              • Michael Hyman
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                  Hi, I have been following the group for a while now, but I still need
                  to have a simple question answered.

                  I have a Toshiba HDTV (34" wide-screen) and I currently use
                  Directv/Tivo unit. I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
                  to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV.

                  What are the key differences between the three? What are the "right
                  questions" to ask to help me make this decision?

                  I would love to get the DTV/HD-Tivo, but cost is the gating factor here.

                  So, can I please have some guidance and/or a pointer to a good FAQ or
                  site that explains all to a newbie.

                  Thanks...Michael
                • E Frank Ball
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                    On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 11:27:55PM -0000, Michael Hyman wrote:
                    }
                    } I have a Toshiba HDTV (34" wide-screen) and I currently use
                    } Directv/Tivo unit. I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
                    } to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV.
                    }
                    } What are the key differences between the three? What are the "right
                    } questions" to ask to help me make this decision?
                    }
                    } I would love to get the DTV/HD-Tivo, but cost is the gating factor here.

                    The Direct TV HD Tivo is not only expensive, but it won't
                    work with the new satellites they are putting up for HD
                    local channels that will use MPEG4.

                    If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
                    an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
                    PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
                    up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
                    package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).

                    --

                    E Frank Ball frankb@...
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                      Michael Hyman wrote:

                      > I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
                      > to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV. What are the
                      > key differences between the three? What are the "right
                      > questions" to ask to help me make this decision?

                      Financially, OTA is best. You pay for an antenna, maybe pay to have it
                      installed, and then there's no further charges. You get all of the
                      local digital stations including the ten network stations - ABC/KGO,
                      CBS/KPIX, FOX/KTVU, NBC/KNTV, PBS/KQED/KCSM/KTEH, WB/KBWB and UPN/KBHK,
                      plus Telemundo/KSTS, TeleFutura/KFSF and Univision/KDTV - and the
                      independents, too. From here in San Francisco I can get 21 digital
                      stations, and if you count sub-channels it's more like 35 channels!

                      For a list of the OTA channels, go to my web site:
                      http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

                      With Comcast you get some of the networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and
                      PBS/KQED, plus KRON, but none of the other local HD stations. You also
                      get the KQED, KGO and KNTV digital sub-channels, as well as a few other
                      HD channels. This is probably your best bet for HD after OTA, and they
                      have an HD DVR available. The downside is the monthly cost... and it
                      ain't cheap.

                      DirecTV has a few HD channels now, with local HD channels to be added
                      later this year. Dish has some HD channels including 10 new channels
                      that were originally on VOOM. Depending on the packages you get, the
                      price can vary a lot from about $40 on up to over $100. Both have HD
                      DVRs available.

                      Personally, I had Dish and dropped it. I was watching everything using
                      my antenna and seldom used the Dish reception, so decided to get rid of
                      it. I haven't missed it. I haven't tried Comcast or DirecTV.

                      I've been very pleased with what I get OTA, but I can't get ESPN or FSN
                      that have a lot of games in HD, nor channels like Discovery HD, Bravo
                      HD, INHD, etc., so that's something to consider.

                      Hope that helps some.

                    • Chris Rempel
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 8, 2005
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 9, 2005

                          > If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
                          > an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
                          > PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
                          > up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
                          > package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).

                          That pricing isn't correct. It is actually much cheaper. I pay $13 a month for broadcast HD
                          channels - just now you also get INH1, INHD2 and Discovery HD for no additional charge since they
                          are not encrypted but I guess that will change soon.

                          All you need is
                          1) a digital tuner box (I have the LG 4200a but don't recommend that for the Bay Area - see my
                          earlier postings) and plug it in to your basic ($13) cable or
                          2) rent a set top box from Comcast ($5/month) and get the service for another $5 a month or
                          3) if your HDTV support a cable card have Comcast install it ($15 one time fee I believe) and then
                          pay $5 a month for the HD service

                          I believe that options 2 and 3 will give you broadcast channel HD.

                          I don't know where this myth that HD via Comcast is expensive came from, but I see it in this
                          group and AVS Forums all the time ;-(

                          Peter

                          Discover Yahoo!
                          http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                        • Kevin Isacks
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 9, 2005

                            Peter

                            It is only expensive if you want the DVR. Then they force you to get standard cable and that pushes the price up to ~$45.99 +$9.95

                            The $60 estimate is not far off for the DVR.

                            Kevin

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                              And the price varies by city. Here in Santa Rosa we pay
                              $8/month in taxes and fees.

                              My bill for standard cable + digital classic + DVR is $72.
                              The minimum for the DVR here is $67/month.

                              /FrankB

                              On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:44:23AM -0700, Kevin Isacks wrote:
                              } Peter
                              }
                              } It is only expensive if you want the DVR. Then they force you to get
                              } standard cable and that pushes the price up to ~$45.99 +$9.95
                              }
                              } The $60 estimate is not far off for the DVR.
                              }
                              } Kevin
                              }
                              }
                              }
                              } > If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
                              } > an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
                              } > PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
                              } > up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
                              } > package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).
                              } >
[...]
                              } Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out!
                              } http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                              }
                              }
                              }
                              } _____
                              }
                              } Yahoo! Groups Links
                              }
                              } * To visit your group on the web, go to:
                              }
                              }
                              } * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                              }
                              }
                              } * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                              } <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.
                              }

                              --

                              E Frank Ball frankb@...
                            • pmccolgan
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                                It seems to be the DVR that pushes the price way up since you can't get this with basic HD service
                                and you end up upgrading...

                                peter

                                --- E Frank Ball <frankb@...> wrote:

                                > My bill for standard cable + digital classic + DVR is $72.
                                > The minimum for the DVR here is $67/month.
                                >
                                > /FrankB

                                Discover Yahoo!
                                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                              • keenan424
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                                  $8..? I pay $12.95

                                  Franchise Fee 6.59
                                  FCC Reg Fee .06
                                  Franchis Related Costs/PEG .42
                                  Forced Relocate Cost .15
                                  City Utility Tax 5.73

                                  You're getting a deal Frank..:-)

                                  RE: INH1, INHD2 and Discovery HD. You will need a Digital Classic
                                  subscription to get these channels. They may free-view them when you
                                  first sign up, but they will eventually go dark unless you get a
                                  Digital subscription which starts at $55, which is before DVR and
                                  Taxes and Fees.

                                  <mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                                  > }
                                  > }
                                  > } * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                  > } <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.
                                  > }
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > E Frank Ball frankb@f...
                                • Michael Skidmore
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                                    >The Direct TV HD Tivo is not only expensive, but it won't
                                    >work with the new satellites they are putting up for HD
                                    >local channels that will use MPEG4.

                                    I may not be totally up to date on the latest news in TV Land but I thought
                                    we don't know what is going to be the transition plan for HDTivos to get
                                    MPEG4 yet, because D* hasn't volunteered one. But you can say based on their
                                    history that they have likely planned this change, especially considering
                                    they bought out Tivo and then launched two satellites.

                                    As for monthly cost what you pay in extra service fees you make up in
                                    customer service. Not having to deal with Comcast's phone un-support is
                                    worth paying for. In the race between these two companies D* has always
                                    been ahead in number of channels until just lately. I suspect they will go
                                    back to being slightly ahead soon.

                                    That being said , OTA is the way to go. Now if they come up with a way to
                                    carry HD HBO and Showtime OTA I could ditch DTV and save $86/month.

                                    I notice they film Fox News Channel in HD and then retransmit segments on
                                    OTA HD KTVU Sunday mornings. D* only carries the SD version. I wish they did
                                    the full channel in OTA HD.
                                  • Jeff Rodrigues
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                                      The program you are referring to is Fox News Sunday.
                                      It's presented in SD 480i widescreen on most FOX
                                      network affiliates, but not on Fox News Channel. Fox
                                      News Channel doesn't have any widescreen or HD
                                      programming available.