New DirecTV Services

  • Dan Sully
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
      A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have ESPNHD on 73,
      DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and then
      $10.99 a month after that.

      -D
    • hobbes49
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Dan Sully <daniel-yahoo@e...>
        wrote:
        > A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have
        ESPNHD on 73,
        > DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and
        then
        > $10.99 a month after that.
        >
        > -D

        How did you get the month free? I just tried calling and she
        wouldn't give it to me, I even asked straight out for it and she
        they don't offer that. Probably just got the wrong operator.
      • Chester Rockwell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
          i got the same thing too.. but i also noted some additional HD channels.

          73 - ESPH
          76 - DHDT
          79 - HDNET
          81 - HDNM
          84 - SPHD
          85 - PPVHD
          88 - HBOH (same as 509)
          91 - SHOH (same as 543)

          >From: Dan Sully <daniel-yahoo@...>
          >To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] New DirecTV Services
          >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:27:42 -0700
          >
          >A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have ESPNHD on
          >73,
          >DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and then
          >$10.99 a month after that.
          >
          >-D

        • T. Wong
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
            So is the regular HDNet still free? And is the pricing for HBOHD still the
            same?(free if you subscribe to HBO).

            >From: Dan Sully <daniel-yahoo@...>
            >To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] New DirecTV Services
            >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:27:42 -0700
            >
            >A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have ESPNHD on
            >73,
            >DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and then
            >$10.99 a month after that.
            >
            >-D

          • Steve Downie
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
              -> So is the regular HDNet still free?  And is the pricing for HBOHD still the
              -> same?(free if you subscribe to HBO).

              I noticed that the programming for DirectTV channel 199 was mirrored on channel 79.

              They may be filling the dead air with HDNet programming when no movies are scheduled.

              -- Steve Downie
            • jrodrigu@surewest.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                I'm sure you just got one of the (many) clueless operators over there.
                Per AVSForums.com, anyone who signs up for the HD package before September
                gets the first month for free. It shouldn't even be something you ask
                for, but built into the subscription.

                Jeff

                > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Dan Sully
                > <daniel-yahoo@e...> wrote:
                > > A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have
                > ESPNHD on 73,
                > > DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and
                > then
                > > $10.99 a month after that.
                > >
                > > -D
                >
                > How did you get the month free?  I just tried calling and she
                > wouldn't give it to me, I even asked straight out for it and she
                > they don't offer that.  Probably just got the wrong operator.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • T. Wong
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                  I found some schedules here:

                  EPSN HD: http://espn.go.com/espnhd/schedule.html

                  Discovery HD: http://dhd.discovery.com/schedule/schedule.jsp?
                  mm=7&dd=1&yyyy=2003&channel=DHD

                  HDNet Movies: http://www.hd.net/movies_schedule_today.html

                  HDnet: http://www.hd.net/schedule_today.html

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Steve Downie <sdownie@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > -> So is the regular HDNet still free? And is the pricing for
                  HBOHD still the
                  > -> same?(free if you subscribe to HBO).
                  >
                  > I noticed that the programming for DirectTV channel 199 was
                  mirrored on
                  > channel 79.
                  >
                  > They may be filling the dead air with HDNet programming when no
                  movies are
                  > scheduled.
                  >
                  > -- Steve Downie
                • T. Wong
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                    What is 84 - SPHD?

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chester Rockwell"

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                      SPHD is the Special Events HD channel, just like DishNetwork's
                      channel 9420. They will show HD NBA and sporting events on it. I
                      have heard that the Sunday Ticket HD games will also be on it.

                      Bobby C

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "T. Wong" <twong18@h...> wrote:
                      > What is 84 - SPHD?
                      >

                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chester Rockwell"
                      > <daytonaviolet_m3@h...> wrote:
                      > > i got the same thing too.. but i also noted some additional HD
                      > channels.
                      > >
                      > > 73 - ESPH
                      > > 76 - DHDT
                      > > 79 - HDNET
                      > > 81 - HDNM
                      > > 84 - SPHD
                      > > 85 - PPVHD
                      > > 88 - HBOH (same as 509)
                      > > 91 - SHOH (same as 543)
                    • The Game Lord
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                        Do you get HBOHD and SHOH even though you don't subscribe to HBO or showtime?

                        Thanks,
                        Chad

                        Chester Rockwell <daytonaviolet_m3@...> wrote:
                        i got the same thing too.. but i also noted some additional HD channels.

                        73 - ESPH
                        76 - DHDT
                        79 - HDNET
                        81 - HDNM
                        84 - SPHD
                        85 - PPVHD
                        88 - HBOH (same as 509)
                        91 - SHOH (same as 543)

                        >From: Dan Sully <daniel-yahoo@...>
                        >To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] New DirecTV Services
                        >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:27:42 -0700
                        >
                        >A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have ESPNHD on
                        >73,
                        >DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and then
                        >$10.99 a month after that.
                        >
                        >-D

                        Like a cat dragged in from the rain, who goes straight back out to do it all again. I'll be back for more....

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • Phillip Guillaume
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                          HDNET is not free anymore. It is now included in the
                          new HDTV Package with HDNET Movies, ESPN, and
                          Discovery for $10.99 a month

                          --- "T. Wong" <twong18@...> wrote:
                          > So is the regular HDNet still free? And is the
                          > pricing for HBOHD still the
                          > same?(free if you subscribe to HBO).
                          >

                          > >From: Dan Sully <daniel-yahoo@...>
                          > >To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] New DirecTV Services
                          > >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:27:42 -0700
                          > >
                          > >A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and
                          > now I have ESPNHD on
                          > >73,
                          > >DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First
                          > month is free, and then
                          > >$10.99 a month after that.
                          > >
                          > >-D

                          > STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months
                          > FREE*

                          http://sbc.yahoo.com
                        • Younghong Cho
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
                            I doubt it as many have discussed this before (although I can't verify
                            because I have both HBO and Showtime). This is what I found on AVS Forum
                            about the DirecTV HD package and the channel assignments...

                            ------------------------------
                            HD Package
                            73 ESPN HD (ESPH)
                            76 Discovery HD (DHDT)
                            79 HDNet (HDN) (also on 199 until 9/1)
                            81 HDNet Movies (HDNM)
                            84 HD Special Events (SPHD) (shares capacity with HD PPV)

                            Other HD Programming
                            85 HD PPV Movies (PPVH) (shares capacity with the HD Special Events)
                            88 HBO HD (HBOH) (This service is mirrored to channel 509)
                            91 Showtime HD (SHOH) (This service is mirrored to channel 543)
                            ------------------------------

                            As you can see, HBOH and SHOH are treated a bit differently.

                            Hong.

                            >From: The Game Lord <gamelordofsony@...>
                            >Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:40:25 -0700 (PDT)
                            >
                            >Do you get HBOHD and SHOH even though you don't subscribe to HBO or
                            >showtime?
                            >
                            >Thanks,
                            >Chad

                          • se_riously
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 2, 2003
                              Last night, I was able to watch HDNET even though I don't subscribe
                              to the HDTV package. I don't know if this is only temporary, but
                              I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Guillaume
                              <saealumnus@y...> wrote:
                              > HDNET is not free anymore. It is now included in the
                              > new HDTV Package with HDNET Movies, ESPN, and
                              > Discovery for $10.99 a month
                            • VinnyMagneeto
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 2, 2003
                                Does anyone know if they plan to add additional network programming
                                (CBS, NBC, ABC) to this subscription HD package? That's quite a
                                hefty monthly fee for programming that should remain free.

                                wrote:
                                > A short, painless call to DirecTV this morning, and now I have
                                ESPNHD on 73,
                                > DiscoveryHD on 76 and HDNet Movies on 79. First month is free, and
                                then
                                > $10.99 a month after that.
                                >
                                > -D
                              • mhensley_sj