Re: Toe in (the squirrels eat our A/B cables)

  • Mark A. Skovmand
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 30, 2003
      "jimtrestoo" wrote:
      > I think you're overstating the capacity of the two cable system in
      > San Jose. This system does not have "twice the capacity of other
      > cable systems", it actually has less than other systems. The reason
      > there are two cables is to double the capacity, since when this
      > system was built in the '60s, the bandwidth capability of the
      > amplifiers was much, much less than now. In fact, IIRC, when the
      > system was first turned on, each of the two cables had a capacity
      of
      > 12 channels, a bandwidth of about 210 MHz [...]

      Good memory, we saw this cable run to our house.

      However, the squirrels eat those A/B cables! :o)

      It's the truth, all the way down the street. The critters would
      nibble the tops off the wires and laugh at the feeble attempts made
      by our trusted repair team trying to keep up with them. It was never
      even close.

      After 30+ years of predictably deteriorating viewing pleasure, we
      finally were granted an upgrade to the abandoned ol' PacBell line.
      Of coarse, no one checked with the squirrels to see if that cable was
      ever activated. So for a few days, we watched squirrels play.

      When the ol' PacBell line did connect at both ends, it was badly over-
      driven. A month of team efforts finally got us a somewhat better
      picture, but with a low level hum bar. I fixed that with a #12
      ground wire where the cable connects to the back of the VCR. BTW, we
      were told that this "new" cable has a jacket that the squirrels don't
      like, well ... much.

      All this to say, OTA HD rocks!

      --Mark in West San Jose

      Ps: Anyone know how to keep squirrels from chewing on our antenna
      guide wires. ;o)
    • Chris Rempel
      Message 49 of 49 , Jul 15 10:08 PM

        jschettj wrote:

         --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@p...>
        wrote:
        > I love success stories.  Congrats, you have much enjoyment ahead of
        > you.  I _am_ a little confused, you say that the orientation of the
        > antenna is 180 degrees out with the UHF side pointing toward
        Sutro.
        > The UHF side _should_ face Sutro, that's the front of the antenna,
        > believe.  At any rate, all is well and you are a happy camper.

        It's one of those arrow shaped things

        top view  --->>>>

        side view ->-----

        I assumed the "front" bit was on the right (ie, you point it like an
        arrow towards the tower) - but in fact it points away from the tower.
        Whatever, it works :)

        That is the correct orientation.  Don't think of it pointing as an arrow, but rather a scoop or net to catch the air waves.

        Chris  aka the antenna doctor.