NFL Playoffs in HD?

  • mbelanger
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
      Greetings folks,

      I've been trying to find out whether ABC tomorrow or CBS on Sunday
      will be carrying the games in HD, but haven't had any luck. All the
      schedules I've seen are either out of date or focus only on prime-time.

      Anyone hear anything?

      Thanks,
      MB
    • mcds54
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
        There will be NO HD broadcasts of any NFL games this season.
        The closest we'll come is the SB in 480p widescreen on Fox.
        Let's hope for better circumstances next season.....

        -Mark in Morgan Hill

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "mbelanger" <mbelanger@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings folks,
        >
        > I've been trying to find out whether ABC tomorrow or CBS on Sunday
        > will be carrying the games in HD, but haven't had any luck. All the
        > schedules I've seen are either out of date or focus only on
        prime-time.

        > Anyone hear anything?
        >

        > Thanks,
        > MB
      • Randy Spencer
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
          HDGalaxy shows nothing, that is what I trust the most, but you can also
          check out the CBS website... Too bad we lost the Excite TV guide. That was
          SO accurate. Oh, and I just checked the ReplayTV guide and the only sports
          in HD is supposed to be on (get this) NBC, Saturday at 10:30 am NBA Inside
          Stuff. Anybody get KNTV on this list yet? I would be interested to know if
          this show infact is in HD, so I know how much to trust this TV Guide, for a
          while there everything on Sundance was show as in HD. EEps!

          -Randy

          --- mbelanger <mbelanger@...> wrote:
          > Greetings folks,
          >
          > I've been trying to find out whether ABC tomorrow or CBS on Sunday
          > will be carrying the games in HD, but haven't had any luck. All the
          > schedules I've seen are either out of date or focus only on prime-time.
          >
          > Anyone hear anything?
          >

          > Thanks,
          > MB

          =====
          ���`����,��,��
          Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
          Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • mcds54
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Spencer <israndy@y...> wrote:
            > HDGalaxy shows nothing, that is what I trust the most, but you can
            >also check out the CBS website... Too bad we lost the Excite TV
            >guide.

            I trusted the Excite TV guide the most -- it was easy to customize,
            and always listed HD broadcasts as such. I've emailed the new Excite
            team several times, but they don't have a clue, so don't expect it to
            be back. It seems the TitanTV guide is completely down now, and the
            GistTV guide leaves a lot to be desired. I currently use the HD guide
            at: http://www.hidefguide.com/ for primetime HD, but I've yet to find
            a comprehensive and accurate all-day HD listings guide for the Bay
            Area.

            > Anybody get KNTV on this list yet?

            Not yet.....waiting to replace my CM7775 with a CM7777 so I can
            get the VHF signal....hopefully next week!
            Along those lines, does anyone know if KNTV will pass the NBC/HDNET
            HD Olympic feed on to us via it's digital OTA channel 12?

            -Mark in Morgan Hill

          • Aleksandr Milewski
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002

              >Oh, and I just checked the ReplayTV guide and the only sports
              >in HD is supposed to be on (get this) NBC, Saturday at 10:30 am NBA Inside
              >Stuff. Anybody get KNTV on this list yet? I would be interested to know if
              >this show infact is in HD, so I know how much to trust this TV Guide

              I'll grab a few minutes of it on my remote receiver (which gets KNTV just
              fine).

              Will advise.

              -Z
            • R8der
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                mbelanger wrote:
                Greetings folks,

                I've been trying to find out whether ABC tomorrow or CBS on Sunday
                will be carrying the games in HD, but haven't had any luck.

                For those in the Bay Area, the Raiders game tomorrow will be in HD.  You have to have a ticket to the game to watch the HD version however.  It's worth the price of the ticket though...the clarity is simply amazing.

                Chris

              • mbelanger
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:

                  > For those in the Bay Area, the Raiders game tomorrow will be in HD.
                  > You have to have a ticket to the game to watch the HD version however.
                  > It's worth the price of the ticket though...the clarity is simply
                  > amazing.

                  How are the replays...
                • mbelanger
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "mcds54" <mds54@e...> wrote:
                    > There will be NO HD broadcasts of any NFL games this season.
                    > The closest we'll come is the SB in 480p widescreen on Fox.
                    > Let's hope for better circumstances next season.....

                    I can't bloody believe it. ABC, FOX and CBS have playoff games and
                    not ONE of them is broadcasting in HD? Is there any wonder that
                    adoption is so slow?

                    Every year I throw a Super Bowl party for about 50 people and I
                    imagine more than a few of them would rush out to buy a set if they
                    could have watched the game in HD. I prefer staring at the PBS demo
                    loop again and again to watching most prime-time shows.

                    Very disappointing...

                    -MB
                  • Aleksandr Milewski
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                      At 22:28 11.01.02 +0000, you wrote:

                      >It seems the TitanTV guide is completely down now,

                      Eh? I just tried it and it works fine. (Agrees with Replay that Inside the
                      NBA is in HD, btw)
                    • R8der
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                        mbelanger wrote:
                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "mcds54" <mds54@e...> wrote:
                        > There will be NO HD broadcasts of any NFL games this season.
                        > The closest we'll come is the SB in 480p widescreen on Fox.
                        > Let's hope for better circumstances next season.....

                        I can't bloody believe it.  ABC, FOX and CBS have playoff games and
                        not ONE of them is broadcasting in HD?  Is there any wonder that
                        adoption is so slow?

                        Yep, it truly does suck....particularly when CBS did playoff games in HD last year.  I simply assumed they'd do it again, until they made some annoucement a few weeks back that they couldn't pull it off this year.

                        This is word that ABC will return to HD for MNF next season, and it thats true then it is likely ABC will do their playoff games next year in HD as well.

                        At least Fox is doing 480p for the Super Bowl....thats better than nothing.

                        Chris

                      • Randy Spencer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                          Are you saying there is a PayPerView channel that is carrying the game?

                          How does it work?

                          -Randy

                          --- R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                          > For those in the Bay Area, the Raiders game tomorrow will be in HD. You
                          > have
                          > to have a ticket to the game to watch the HD version however. It's worth
                          > the
                          > price of the ticket though...the clarity is simply amazing.
                          >
                          > Chris

                          =====
                          ���`����,��,��
                          Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
                          Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

                          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                        • Daniel Sully
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                            Once upon a time Randy Spencer shaped the electrons to say...

                            > Are you saying there is a PayPerView channel that is carrying the game?
                            >
                            > How does it work?

                            He's being a smart ass, and saying buy a ticket and go to the game in Oakland. =)

                            > --- R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                            > > For those in the Bay Area, the Raiders game tomorrow will be in HD.
                            > > You have to have a ticket to the game to watch the HD version
                            > > however. It's worth the price of the ticket though...the clarity is
                            > > simply amazing.

                            -D
                            --
                            I hear it's illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purpose of gambling.
                          • Randy Spencer
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                              When he said "The clarity is Amazing" I assumed it was some PayPerView as
                              actually being there is NO WHERE as good as watching on HD, the superbowl
                              last year was amazing, the guys were in perfect detail, life sized.

                              Go to the game and it's like going to a concert, you sit half a mile from
                              the action, it's freezing cold, and you can't get up and make more popcorn.

                              -Randy

                              --- Daniel Sully <daniel-yahoo@...> wrote:
                              > Once upon a time Randy Spencer shaped the electrons to say...
                              >
                              > > Are you saying there is a PayPerView channel that is carrying the game?
                              > >
                              > > How does it work?
                              >
                              > He's being a smart ass, and saying buy a ticket and go to the game in
                              > Oakland. =)
                              >
                              > > --- R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                              > > > For those in the Bay Area, the Raiders game tomorrow will be in HD.
                              > > > You have to have a ticket to the game to watch the HD version
                              > > > however. It's worth the price of the ticket though...the clarity is
                              > > > simply amazing.

                              =====
                              ���`����,��,��

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                Anybody know why Titan doesn't carry program info for KRON 57?

                                -Randy

                                --- Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@...> wrote:
                                > >It seems the TitanTV guide is completely down now,
                                >
                                > Eh? I just tried it and it works fine. (Agrees with Replay that Inside the
                                >
                                > NBA is in HD, btw)

                                =====
                                ���`����,��,��

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                  Randy Spencer wrote:

                                  > When he said "The clarity is Amazing" I assumed it was some PayPerView as
                                  > actually being there is NO WHERE as good as watching on HD, the superbowl
                                  > last year was amazing, the guys were in perfect detail, life sized.

                                  I disagree. As somebody who has season tickets to both Cal and the Raiders,
                                  the things you see at the game that you can't ever see on TV (HD or not) are
                                  too numerous to list.

                                  > Go to the game and it's like going to a concert, you sit half a mile from
                                  > the action, it's freezing cold, and you can't get up and make more popcorn.

                                  So you don't go to concerts either Randy? You need to get out of the house at
                                  some point!

                                  I've never sat a half a mile from anything. I'm right there on the 30 yard
                                  line and very close to the field, and I've never needed binocs to make out a
                                  players name/number. Freezing cold? This is the Bay Area....this isn't
                                  freezing cold. I take it you've never left the state in the dead of winter?

                                  No amount of awesome coverage on TV can ever replace the thrill of being at the
                                  game....of screaming your head off....of living in the moment! I suggest you
                                  give it a try....just don't sit in the crappy seats. You spent a lot for your
                                  set I'm assuming...so you value your entertainment. I do as well....and will
                                  never sit in crappy seats as long as I can afford good ones!

                                  Of course, I do wish the game were in HD so I could record it and watch it
                                  again at home. Regardless, for the mere price of admission you can check out
                                  what the future of HD will look like! Isn't that worth having to put on a
                                  jacket?

                                  Chris
                                • Aleksandr Milewski
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                    At 15:19 11.01.02 -0800, you wrote:
                                    >Anybody know why Titan doesn't carry program info for KRON 57?
                                    >
                                    > -Randy

                                    The more interesting question is why DO they carry program info for KBHK 45. ;)

                                    Unless it's something to do with the NBC change, and KRON is now so
                                    brain-dead that in addition to being unable to play nice with Echostar and
                                    NBC, they're now also unable to play nice with Tribune and Gemstar.
                                    Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

                                    -Z
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                      mbelanger wrote:
                                      > I've been trying to find out whether ABC tomorrow or CBS on Sunday
                                      > will be carrying the games in HD.

                                      The two games tomorrow on ABC will NOT be in HD.

                                      Larry
                                    • Mark Del Secco
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                        At 03:02 PM 1/11/02, Aleksandr Milewski wrote:
                                        >At 22:28 11.01.02 +0000, I wrote:
                                        > >It seems the TitanTV guide is completely down now,
                                        >
                                        >Eh? I just tried it and it works fine.

                                        I heard from others that Titan let a license expire which caused them to be
                                        off-line this past week, and the few times I was able to bring it up, it took
                                        several minutes and then froze the browser. I don't know what's going on....
                                      • Chris Rempel
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 11, 2002
                                          Blame Mr. Young