Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Bay Area HD User Group

  • The Game Lord
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 2, 2003
      Count me in.

      saealumnus <saealumnus@...> wrote:

      Sounds cool.  I'd be interested in joining.

      Phillip Guillaume

      Loewe ACO9383, SAT-HD200

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Lammerding" <Erik@L...>
      wrote:
      > First Post.
      >
      > Several of my colleagues here at work are interested in starting an
      > informal Bay Area
      > HD User Group. (For all I know, there may already be one in
      > existence. If so, pardon
      > my ignorance.) If not I'd like to propose forming one.
      >
      > I work at Apple computer in Cupertino which is centrally located on
      > the Peninsula and
      > has some great meeting space with excellent A/V.
      >
      > My suggestions are as follows
      >
      > - Meet once every other month.
      > - Meet in the evening, pitch in for pizza & drinks (or whatever)
      > - Guest speaker. Example, someone from local broadcaster.
      Manufacturer's rep, etc.
      > - Swap tips and tricks
      >
      > I've never done something like this so I'm completely open to
      > suggestions.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Erik Lammerding
      > KV-34XBR800, Sony HD-200

      Like a cat dragged in from the rain, who goes straight back out to do it all again. I'll be back for more....

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Bob Weissman
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
        Sounds like a good idea. Up to now, we've pretty much been a "virtual" group.

        If this really gets going, a very good thing to do would be to chip in and purchase an HD signal generator for the group. Members could borrow it to calibrate their TVs, which is currently hard to do given the lack of available HD test signals. (I can use test DVDs to calibrate all the modes of my HDTV except HD itself.)

        Other activities could include "show and tell" sessions where we visit members' homes to tweak'n'critique people's setups. (For example, we could marvel at Larry's (what is it now) seven or eight outdoor antennas. :-)

        And the pizza'n'drinks could be conveniently held at BJ's Brewhouse, which is essentially part of the Apple campus. :-)

        - Bob

        Lammerding [mailto:Erik@...]
        > Sent: Monday,
        June 02, 2003 5:24 PM
        > To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject:
        [HDTV-in-SFbay] Bay Area HD User Group

        > First
        Post.

        > Several of my colleagues here at work are interested in
        starting an
        > informal Bay Area
        > HD User Group. (For all I know,
        there may already be one in
        > existence. If so, pardon
        > my
        ignorance.) If not I'd like to propose forming one.

        > I work at
        Apple computer in Cupertino which is centrally located on
        > the Peninsula
        and
        > has some great meeting space with excellent A/V.
        >
        > My
        suggestions are as follows

        > - Meet once every other
        month.
        > - Meet in the evening, pitch in for pizza & drinks (or
        whatever)
        > - Guest speaker. Example, someone from local
        broadcaster.
        > Manufacturer's rep, etc.
        > - Swap tips and
        tricks

        > I've never done something like this so I'm completely
        open to
        > suggestions.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Erik
        Lammerding
        > KV-34XBR800, Sony HD-200

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Weissman" <rlw@r...> wrote:
          > Sounds like a good idea. Up to now, we've pretty much been
          a "virtual" group.

          > If this really gets going, a very good thing to do would be to chip
          in and purchase an HD signal generator for the group. Members
          > could borrow it to calibrate their TVs, which is currently hard to
          do given the lack of available HD test signals. (I can use test
          > DVDs to calibrate all the modes of my HDTV except HD itself.)
          >
          > Other activities could include "show and tell" sessions where we
          visit members' homes to tweak'n'critique people's setups. (For
          > example, we could marvel at Larry's (what is it now) seven or eight
          outdoor antennas. :-)

          > And the pizza'n'drinks could be conveniently held at BJ's
          Brewhouse, which is essentially part of the Apple campus. :-)

          Well, you can count me in.

          I'm in Fremont, Mits 55511.....

          > - Bob

        • j t
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
            Message
            I should report to the group that in SF (94117 to be exact), HD-Cable is not available.  They said our area isn't rebuilt, so its a no go.  I'm pretty surprised because digital cable and internet are availble, if they have the bandwidth for those services why not hd?  I guess the STB i'll end-up buying is better than the one i'd rent from comcast anyway (small concellation)

            Also, I'm in for the user group.

            jason
          • Maurice Moroney
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
              not available in 94085 (Sunnyvale) either. Can anyone tell me how much i would be looking at spending for an OTA setup (decoder box and antenna)?

              j t <leisuretimeindustries@...> wrote:
              I should report to the group that in SF (94117 to be exact), HD-Cable is not available.  They said our area isn't rebuilt, so its a no go.  I'm pretty surprised because digital cable and internet are availble, if they have the bandwidth for those services why not hd?  I guess the STB i'll end-up buying is better than the one i'd rent from comcast anyway (small concellation)

              Also, I'm in for the user group.

              jason

            • Phillip Guillaume
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                Why even care about Cable? You can get awesome OTA
                reception. I'm out in the East Bay over the hill and
                we cant get OTA, well maybe 2 channels if your lucky
                so cable is the only choice available right now to get
                some locals. YOU DONT NEED COMCAST.

                --- j t <leisuretimeindustries@...> wrote:
                > I should report to the group that in SF (94117 to be
                > exact), HD-Cable is
                > not available. They said our area isn't rebuilt, so
                > its a no go. I'm
                > pretty surprised because digital cable and internet
                > are availble, if
                > they have the bandwidth for those services why not
                > hd? I guess the STB
                > i'll end-up buying is better than the one i'd rent
                > from comcast anyway
                > (small concellation)
                >
                > Also, I'm in for the user group.
                >
                > jason

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Steve Downie
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Count me in also.

                  I've been fortunate to have already met both Larry Kenney and Chris Rempel.
                  BJ's Brewhouse is really close for me, since I'm in Cupertino, and I love good beer.

                  Someone should pick a date and time. How does Wednesday evening, 7:30 p.m. June 18th sound?
                  Can we reserve the Apple A/V room for a short time before moving the meeting to BJ's? ;-}

                  -- Steve Downie
                  Panasonic TUHDS20, HiPix HDTV card @ Sony PFM42B1 monitor
                • Dan Sully
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                    > I've been fortunate to have already met both Larry Kenney and Chris Rempel.
                    > <http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/>BJ's Brewhouse is really close for me, since
                    > I'm in Cupertino, and I love good beer.
                    >
                    > Someone should pick a date and time. How does Wednesday evening, 7:30 p.m.
                    > June 18th sound?

                    I'm in too, but that date doesn't work for me.

                    -D
                    --
                    __o I'm riding my bicycle 600 miles to fight AIDS!
                    _-\<,_ I've raised $2610 so far! Sponsor me, rider #6040 at:
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                      I sold my Panny 56" that I posted a couple of weeks ago, but that person is going with DirectTV, so I still have a Dish 6000 with the 8VSB OTA card.  Looking for $375 for it.  Works perfect.  I'm in Sunnyvale/Cupertino.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                        The HD User Group sounds like a great idea. I work evenings
                        on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so a Thursday, Friday or
                        weekend meeting time would be best for me.

                        Hate to disappoint Bob, but I only have three outdoor antennas
                        and one indoor. :-)

                        By the way, Lee, our HD maintenance guy, fixed the KGO-DT PSIP
                        generator last night, so we're back on channel 7. Probably a
                        lot of you noticed. He did it during the pre-game show of last
                        night's hockey game. Bad timing!

                        Larry
                      • Younghong Cho
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                          Does it read "Bear Hug"? :p

                          Hong

                        • R8der
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                            Phillip Guillaume wrote:

                            > Why even care about Cable? You can get awesome OTA
                            > reception. I'm out in the East Bay over the hill and
                            > we cant get OTA, well maybe 2 channels if your lucky
                            > so cable is the only choice available right now to get
                            > some locals. YOU DONT NEED COMCAST.

                            Well, you can't state this for all of the East Bay, even those you
                            consider "lucky". It shouldn't be some big surprise that those in the
                            Tri-Valley area can get plenty of HDTV signals OTA. I've posted about
                            it numerous times....I've been receiving OTA signals here in Livermore
                            for three plus years now. I get two channels from Sac with near perfect
                            reception (ABC and CBS) and five stations from Sutro
                            (ABC/CBS/PBS/Fox/KRON). With the addition of KNTV to the Mt Allison
                            antenna, I now get a perfect lock on NBC as well. If you are in the Tri
                            Valley area and you don't currently have cable, you owe it to yourself
                            to throw an antenna up and see what you can get for FREE.

                            R8der
                          • Steve Downie

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                Steve Downie wrote:
                                > Would Thursday, June 19th at 7:30 p.m. work for anyone?

                                That works for me.

                                Larry
                              • The Game Lord

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                    Guys
                                    Can i ask who you are targeting this at? It seems the people responding are pretty knowlegable about HDTV. I'm a complete newbie, only have my set a month or less...but i'm game for anything where i can learn. However, i don't want to be the only newbie there making more experienced people feel like they are jsut wasting their time....whats the purpose behind the group??????

                                    Cheers

                                    Maurice

                                    The Game Lord <gamelordofsony@...> wrote:
                                    Thursday's good for me.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                      I'd be pleased to attend and answer any questions, and clear up some of the confusion going on.

                                      Ted Matsumura, HDTV Consultant

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                        Message
                                        noob here, and i was all ready to attend the meetings.  maybe one of the folks organizing it can put together a meeting itinerary

                                        jason

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                          Message
                                          works for me

                                          Dave Saxby

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                            i admit it ... i'm a newbie too! AND i'm interested in
                                            attending (wouldn't you like to be a newbie too).

                                            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*http://calendar.yahoo.com>

                                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705

                                            017563:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq

                                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                                            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=818925149>

                                            > Terms of Service
                                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                            http://calendar.yahoo.com
                                          • h_d_t_v
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003
                                              Great idea! I'd like to participate. Are the date, time and
                                              location confirmed?

                                              wrote:
                                              > First Post.
                                              >
                                              > Several of my colleagues here at work are interested in starting an
                                              > informal Bay Area
                                              > HD User Group. (For all I know, there may already be one in
                                              > existence. If so, pardon
                                              > my ignorance.) If not I'd like to propose forming one.
                                              >
                                              > I work at Apple computer in Cupertino which is centrally located on
                                              > the Peninsula and
                                              > has some great meeting space with excellent A/V.
                                              >
                                              > My suggestions are as follows
                                              >
                                              > - Meet once every other month.
                                              > - Meet in the evening, pitch in for pizza & drinks (or whatever)
                                              > - Guest speaker. Example, someone from local broadcaster.
                                              Manufacturer's rep, etc.
                                              > - Swap tips and tricks
                                              >
                                              > I've never done something like this so I'm completely open to
                                              > suggestions.
                                              >
                                              > Best,
                                              >
                                              > Erik Lammerding
                                              > KV-34XBR800, Sony HD-200
                                            • Chris Rempel

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 3, 2003

                                                  Larry Kenney wrote:

                                                   Steve Downie wrote:
                                                  > Would Thursday, June 19th at 7:30 p.m. work for anyone?

                                                  That works for me.

                                                  Larry

                                                  I'll be camping that week

                                                  Chris

                                                • R8der
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 8, 2003
                                                    KTVU does indeed have HDTV equipment.  They broadcast all of Fox's 480p in 720p.  They have also broadcast a prior show (Chinese New Years parade in SF) in 1080i.  I happen to know a couple of the guys over there at KTVU, and I'm sure I could set up a future field trip to check out their operations.

                                                    R8der
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 7 8:32 AM
                                                      I didn't see a response regarding the HD User Group meeting scheduled for tonight.

                                                      Is it still on?

                                                      Anyone who knows, please repost the time and location so others wishing to attend will be correctly informed.

                                                      Thanks for any and all responses.

                                                      -- Steve Downie