ota hdtv and sdtv possible?

  • back set
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
      ok, i understand that we can receive hdtv signals over the air by using a
      hdtv receiver like the zenith hdv420 and an antenna. for example, i can
      watch er in hdtv. but what about all the other time slots for that signal?
      is sdtv being broadcast over that same signal? can i watch friends at 8pm
      on 48.1? what about other stations? does anyone have a list of stations
      that broadcast sdtv over their digital channels?

      thanks

    • mhensley_sj
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
        When stations broadcasting in an HD format aren't showing HD
        programming, they upconvert their normal programming. You won't
        see "Friends" on 48.1, though, that's a spanish station (however, you
        would find them on 48.2).

        KGO broadcasts SD on 7.2 full-time, as does KQED on 9.2. Both of
        them show HD programming on the .1 channels (KGO upconverts when
        they're not showing true HD programming, while KQED runs the PBS demo
        loop during off-hours)

        KICU doesn't show HD programming (not that I've seen, anyway), but
        upconverts their SD programming full-time. The same holds true for
        KRON (though they occasionally have native HD programs).

        Otherwise, KBHK, KCNS, KTLN, KKPX, KTSF, KSTS (48.1), and KDTV all do
        SD on their DTV channels.

        KNTV, KGO, KPIX, KTVU and KOFY all show network HD programming
        (or "enhanced widescreen SD" programming in the case of FOX), but
        otherwise upconvert their SD programming.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "back set" <backset2002@h...>
        wrote:
        > ok, i understand that we can receive hdtv signals over the air by
        using a
        > hdtv receiver like the zenith hdv420 and an antenna. for example,
        i can
        > watch er in hdtv. but what about all the other time slots for that
        signal?
        > is sdtv being broadcast over that same signal? can i watch friends
        at 8pm
        > on 48.1? what about other stations? does anyone have a list of
        stations
        > that broadcast sdtv over their digital channels?
        >
        > thanks

      • R8der
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
          Yes, the standard def stuff is sent on the same channel, just in 4:3 with black bars on the sides.

          R8der

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
            Thanks for the detailed information. It is wonderful to know that the
            regular shows
            are sent over the HDTV channels. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what
            those
            shows will look like when downconverted to 480i on a 4:3 set? Will it be
            4:3 with no bars?

          • R8der
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
              back set wrote:

              > Thanks for the detailed information. It is wonderful to know that the
              > regular shows
              > are sent over the HDTV channels. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what
              > those
              > shows will look like when downconverted to 480i on a 4:3 set? Will it be
              > 4:3 with no bars?

              Depending on the STB you are using, you should be able to manipulate the
              signal to prevent the black bars. I don't have a 4:3 set so I'm not
              entirely sure how it might look.

              Generally you don't downconvert the signal to 480i.....you simply send
              the upconverted 480i signal to your set. Think of it this way.....an SD
              signal is simply like getting a mono signal on an FM station. It will
              still be mono, but it doesn't chage the FM modulation in any way. If
              you are watching CBS you will get a 1080i signal....whether it's
              upconverted 480i with black bars or true HDTV in 16:9.

              R8der
            • Chris Rempel