RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] June 3 Comcast Will Launch HDTV in Bay Area

  • Ted Matsumura
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2003
      BFD if ABC, NBC, PBS go HD, only a few % of their content is HD, and none of
      that content is interesting. Now CBS has Blue, CSI, CSI Miami, and Without
      a Trace in HD. HBO and SHO have good HD, and I get those 24x7.

      It's all about content.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003
        I left CAT not because that did not offer any HD content but because
        of their poor analogue PQ and as it stands now I receive and watch
        most (90%+) of my HD content via OTA for free. Call me when ALL
        channels go digital and then I might get excited.

        It's also all about quality-

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Matsumura" <tedm@t...>
        wrote:
        > BFD if ABC, NBC, PBS go HD, only a few % of their content is HD,
        and none of
        > that content is interesting. Now CBS has Blue, CSI, CSI Miami, and
        Without
        > a Trace in HD. HBO and SHO have good HD, and I get those 24x7.
        >
        > It's all about content.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • R8der
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2003

          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2003
            Damn, you caught me Chris!, yeah NYPD Blue, so yes, I do watch some 7-1 OTA ;)  I agree Caruso's role is slimy Miami, but I dig that tall blond chick with the southern accent who likes guns and when asked to flash something, she flashes her pistol under her overcoat.  I'm easily amused ...

            I genererally try to catch the CSI's, and Without a Trace on my 61.5 East Coast CBS feed early, then if I miss, I catch it on OTA.  If I miss blue on 7-1HD, I catch it on SD later, and can FF thru commercials.

            Same with the Sopranos and 6 feet under, I try to catch the HD versions on Sunday or reruns, but if I miss them my DISH PVR catches them and I watch them in SD on a 32" TV.

          • R8der
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2003

              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2003
                Actually Blue is on ABC not CBS. ABC also has Monday Night Football,
                no small thing. NBC has Crossing Jordan, West Wing and ER, not
                slouches either. ABC also has Alias, Sidney in HD is a wonder to behold.

                Bobby C

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Matsumura" <tedm@t...> wrote:
                > BFD if ABC, NBC, PBS go HD, only a few % of their content is HD, and
                none of
                > that content is interesting. Now CBS has Blue, CSI, CSI Miami, and
                Without
                > a Trace in HD. HBO and SHO have good HD, and I get those 24x7.
                >
                > It's all about content.

              • Markus Duffin
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2003
                  West Wing is NOT in HDTV.

                  Markus

                  Actually Blue is on ABC not CBS. ABC also has Monday Night Football,
                  no small thing. NBC has Crossing Jordan, West Wing and ER, not
                  slouches either. ABC also has Alias, Sidney in HD is a wonder to behold.

                  Bobby C

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Matsumura" <tedm@t...> wrote:
                  > BFD if ABC, NBC, PBS go HD, only a few % of their content is HD, and
                  none of
                  > that content is interesting. Now CBS has Blue, CSI, CSI Miami, and
                  Without
                  > a Trace in HD. HBO and SHO have good HD, and I get those 24x7.
                  >
                  > It's all about content.

                • Todd
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2003
                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris -" <cristoforo7@h...> wrote:
                    > Someone previously posted here that Comcast will work with some
                    retailers to
                    > offer the Motorola 5100 for purchase, and rental is always an
                    option-- looks
                    > like $5 per month, based on Sacramento and other areas (e.g., Atlanta).

                    Does the Motorola 5100 offer anything that a Satellite STB's does not?
                    An IEEE1394 port to record with??

                    If not, I don't see myself moving to cable. I more OTA channels, for
                    free, with my indoor antenna. And, I already get HBO/SHO-HD via DirecTV.
                  • jfields41394
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2003
                      Can you use the Sony HD 200 with Comcast HD, or do you have to use
                      the Motorola? If I can't use the HD200 I'm not getting Comcast HD.

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2003
                        In a word, no.... The Sony HD 200 is DirecTV and OTA only.

                        Bobby C

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "jfields41394"