RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: DVI

  • Nikhil Kapur
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2003
      Message
      Larry,

      Sorry to break this to you but the component input connectors on your HD capable TV are analog connectors :)
      I guess they are just capable of handling higher resolutions than composite/svideo.

      - Nikhil
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2003
        analog can be high-resolution, too.
        "digital" does not necessarily mean "better"

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Nikhil Kapur" <nikhil@k...>
        wrote:
        > Larry,
        >
        > Sorry to break this to you but the component input connectors on
        your HD
        > capable TV are analog connectors :)
        > I guess they are just capable of handling higher resolutions than
        > composite/svideo.
        >
        > - Nikhil

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05
        > 017563:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
        mqso=60164797&pa
        > rtid=3170658>
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=965621805>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • R8der
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2003

          Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 3:12 AM

          analog can be high-resolution, too.
          "digital" does not necessarily mean "better"

          This is particularly true when comparing C-band analog to DBS digital.  C-band analog blows DBS digital completely away.

          Digital has become a Best Buy/Good Guy/Circuit City buzz word.  If you throw "digital" on packaging, nearly every Joe 6-Pack out there has been brainwashed into thinking it must be better.

          The bottom line on the DVI discussion is, future STB's will end up having ONLY DVI outputs....at some point in time they will lose the analog component outputs.  Those of us with only analog inputs won't be able to use the newer technology.  Most professionals in the A/V world (such as Joe Kane from Widescreen Review) feel that analog inputs will remain for quite awhile (at least more than 5 years).

          If somebody is asking me what HDTV to buy today though, my advise is to make sure it has a DVI input.  They will also have analog component inputs......hopefully three or more.  The DVI input simply makes a set today ready to accept the upcoming technology.  Most of my friends who ask for advice aren't looking to buy a new HDTV set every 5 years.  They aren't all psycho about this like I am.

          R8der
        • Ted Matsumura
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2003
            Exactly. And, in many cases digital is worse. When I listen to the DVD-A
            in either 2 channel 192khz/24bit or 5.1 96khz/24-bit of Neil Young's Harvest
            DVD-A, it comes out of my DVD-A player through 6 analog cables into my
            amplifiers. (warning: keep the volume down when you first start his DVD-A!)

            Ultimately what you hear and see is analog. If Neil Young had digitized his
            masters onto 44.1khz/16 bit digital, and tossed the masters, there never
            would be this amazing DVD-A.

            If I were a TV or movie producer, I would still shoot on film. It doesn't
            preclude digitization now or down the road, but guarantees future higher res
            digitalization capabilities that we don't have standards for today.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2003
              My home setup is as follows:

              1) Panasonic TU-DST52 OTA set-top box, features:

              Output scan rates
              Component Video:1080i/480i ; HDTV: 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i
              Number and type of inputs 1 RF for HDTV/SDTV
              Number and type of outputs optical digital output for Dolby Digital
              audio, 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 1 S-video, and 1 component
              video)

              2) Panasonic CT-34WX52 HD ready TV

              Net is, you get a full 1080 HD picture via over the air broadcast.
              Programming is limited, picture is awesome.

              Digital inputs will enable some new magic but in any case, analog
              drives a full 1080 image. If your bottom line is a great picture,
              analog inputs are just fine.

              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2003
                Thanks to Nikhil and Mike for teaching me something I didn't
                know. I thought that my HiPix card, Dish receiver and DVD
                player were putting out digital signals and that the inputs
                to my TV were digital. Shows how much I know about this
                stuff. :-)