Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Comcast, HDTV, and San Francisco

  • Brian Vowell
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
      I was just on the phone with ESPN today regarding ESPN-HD, and they
      mentioned that Comcast is doing a deal with them to carry the ESPN
      signal, but not to expect anything before the end of the year.

      --b

      hmoazed wrote:

      >Any news on HDTV in SF through Comcast? There were a few postings a
      >month or two ago, about Comcast saying they were going to have it by
      >May or something... I figure calling and emailing them to say "we
      >want HDTV" wouldn't hurt, and may help make it happen. I just sent
      >them an email through the customer service link of their website.
      >Thank God they took over from AT&T. We finally have digital cable
      >and high-speed internet here in the SOMA area. Now I'm waiting for
      >HDTV so I can get rid of the satellite dish eating up space on my
      >tiny balcony.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >Moaz

    • a_friend101
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
        Even if Comcast started delivering HDTV tomorrow the majority of
        their channels would still be glorious grainy analogue. Granted the
        PQ with D* and E* are not always the best, still they are nowhere
        near as bad Comcast analogue is.

        I will give up the DBS and go back to cable when the drop analogue
        all together as my TV shows no mercy to an inferior signal.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Brian Vowell <brian@d...> wrote:
        > I was just on the phone with ESPN today regarding ESPN-HD, and they
        > mentioned that Comcast is doing a deal with them to carry the ESPN
        > signal, but not to expect anything before the end of the year.
        >

        > --b
        >
        > hmoazed wrote:
        >
        > >Any news on HDTV in SF through Comcast? There were a few postings
        > >month or two ago, about Comcast saying they were going to have it
        by
        > >May or something... I figure calling and emailing them to say "we
        > >want HDTV" wouldn't hurt, and may help make it happen. I just sent
        > >them an email through the customer service link of their website.
        > >Thank God they took over from AT&T. We finally have digital cable
        > >and high-speed internet here in the SOMA area. Now I'm waiting for
        > >HDTV so I can get rid of the satellite dish eating up space on my
        > >tiny balcony.
        > >
        > >Cheers,
        > >Moaz

      • Peter Simon
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
          Message
          If you want ESPN on Dish or Direct, why not email Best Buy and Philips, who ESPN says are their ESPN HD sponsors and tell them you cannot reach the programming that they are sponsoring!
          Even if Comcast started delivering HDTV tomorrow the majority of
          their channels would still be glorious grainy analogue. Granted the
          PQ with D* and E* are not always the best, still they are nowhere
          near as bad Comcast analogue is.

          I will give up the DBS and go back to cable when the drop analogue
          all together as my TV shows no mercy to an inferior signal.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Brian Vowell <brian@d...> wrote:
          > I was just on the phone with ESPN today regarding ESPN-HD, and they
          > mentioned that Comcast is doing a deal with them to carry the ESPN
          > signal, but not to expect anything before the end of the year.
          >

          > --b
          >
          > hmoazed wrote:
          >
          > >Any news on HDTV in SF through Comcast? There were a few postings
          > >month or two ago, about Comcast saying they were going to have it
          by
          > >May or something... I figure calling and emailing them to say "we
          > >want HDTV" wouldn't hurt, and may help make it happen. I just sent
          > >them an email through the customer service link of their website.
          > >Thank God they took over from AT&T. We finally have digital cable
          > >and high-speed internet here in the SOMA area. Now I'm waiting for
          > >HDTV so I can get rid of the satellite dish eating up space on my
          > >tiny balcony.
          > >
          > >Cheers,
          > >Moaz

        • Brian Vowell
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
            Even if they drop analog signals all together, the cable system is
            pretty crappy. I'm told by the linemen doing the upgrades that the
            upgraded system in San Francisco only goes to 550mhz. A standard NTSC
            or ATSC (HDTV) channel consumes 6 mhz of bandwidth, so there's not a lot
            of room for expansion to accomodate voice, internet, HDTV, and SDTV
            signals all on one line.

            A standard L-band satellite feed (the output of a DirecTV or Dish
            satellite dish), is in the range of 950-1450mhz, switched from two
            outputs for a total of 1,000mhz of unique content. That range that the
            satellite stuff uses excludes the 50-950mhz cable tv band. If the
            satellite operators can get the content up there on the satellites, the
            receiving end at the customer home has way more capacity than cable can
            provide.

            --b

            a_friend101 wrote:

            >Even if Comcast started delivering HDTV tomorrow the majority of
            >their channels would still be glorious grainy analogue. Granted the
            >PQ with D* and E* are not always the best, still they are nowhere
            >near as bad Comcast analogue is.
            >
            >I will give up the DBS and go back to cable when the drop analogue
            >all together as my TV shows no mercy to an inferior signal.
            >
            >--- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Brian Vowell <brian@d...> wrote:
            >

            >>I was just on the phone with ESPN today regarding ESPN-HD, and they
            >>mentioned that Comcast is doing a deal with them to carry the ESPN
            >>signal, but not to expect anything before the end of the year.
            >>

            >>--b
            >>
            >>hmoazed wrote:
            >>

            >>>Any news on HDTV in SF through Comcast? There were a few postings

            >>>month or two ago, about Comcast saying they were going to have it
            >>>

            >by
            >

            >>>May or something... I figure calling and emailing them to say "we
            >>>want HDTV" wouldn't hurt, and may help make it happen. I just sent
            >>>them an email through the customer service link of their website.
            >>>Thank God they took over from AT&T. We finally have digital cable
            >>>and high-speed internet here in the SOMA area. Now I'm waiting for
            >>>HDTV so I can get rid of the satellite dish eating up space on my
            >>>tiny balcony.
            >>>
            >>>Cheers,
            >>>Moaz

          • Phillip Guillaume
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
              Just got word from one of the guys at Comcast that
              they will be advertising and promoting HD Service in
              the SF Bay Area sometime this month. They plan on
              rolling out HD in the month of May. Probably not all
              markets at first but I was told that the East Bay
              (Tri-Valley) will be one of the first seeing that they
              dont receive off-air feed. Seems only
              right!!!!!!!!!!! I was told that they will partner up
              with a few stores in the bay area to offer you the
              chance to either buy the new cable hd boxes or lease
              them for $5 a month. They will intially start off
              with at least the 3 major networks and HBO/Showtime.
              They are negotiating with ESPN because ESPN wants
              their service to be an added cost like Discovery
              Channel on Dish Network. Comcast is also trying to
              get Discovery on their channels as well.

              --- Brian Vowell <brian@...> wrote:
              > I was just on the phone with ESPN today regarding
              > ESPN-HD, and they
              > mentioned that Comcast is doing a deal with them to
              > carry the ESPN
              > signal, but not to expect anything before the end of
              > the year.
              >

              > --b
              >
              > hmoazed wrote:
              >
              > >Any news on HDTV in SF through Comcast? There were
              > a few postings a
              > >month or two ago, about Comcast saying they were
              > going to have it by
              > >May or something... I figure calling and emailing
              > them to say "we
              > >want HDTV" wouldn't hurt, and may help make it
              > happen. I just sent
              > >them an email through the customer service link of
              > their website.
              > >Thank God they took over from AT&T. We finally have
              > digital cable
              > >and high-speed internet here in the SOMA area. Now
              > I'm waiting for
              > >HDTV so I can get rid of the satellite dish eating
              > up space on my
              > >tiny balcony.
              > >
              > >Cheers,
              > >Moaz

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • Chris Rempel
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003

                a_friend101 wrote:

                I will give up the DBS and go back to cable when the drop analogue
                all together as my TV shows no mercy to an inferior signal.

                Why would you drop DBS?  I find it to be a superior service to cable and slightly cheaper.

                Chris

              • a_friend101
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Moving to DBS from cable for me since I live in a Town-home was a
                  very tiresome battle. Cable is easy as it's already there, no
                  approval process, no fighting with the board etc. Now that I am HERE
                  I love it as you pointed out it is cheaper. I am saving 45% a month
                  with DBS over cable.

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Chris Rempel <chrisrem@r...>
                  wrote:

                  > a_friend101 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I will give up the DBS and go back to cable when the drop analogue
                  > > all together as my TV shows no mercy to an inferior signal.
                  > >

                  > Why would you drop DBS? I find it to be a superior service to
                  cable and
                  > slightly cheaper.
                  >
                  > Chris
                • Randy Spencer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2003
                    I just hate the picture you get with DBS, it's fine for less than a 25" tv,
                    but when you have a big screen it looks SO blocky, I prefer a good cable
                    signal to DBS, I suppose that is why I have both. Can't get HDHBO via cable
                    yet.

                    -Randy

                    --- a_friend101 <a_friend101@...> wrote:
                    > Moving to DBS from cable for me since I live in a Town-home was a
                    > very tiresome battle. Cable is easy as it's already there, no
                    > approval process, no fighting with the board etc. Now that I am HERE
                    > I love it as you pointed out it is cheaper. I am saving 45% a month
                    > with DBS over cable.

                    =====
                    ���`����,��,����`����,��,����`����,��,����
                    Randy Spencer (510) 769-1949 AIM:RanSpen Citrus Insight #5427
                    http://geocities.com/israndy

                    http://tax.yahoo.com
                  • surfinguru_2000
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2003
                      This would be great news if true. I've also sent the "I want my HD" e-
                      mail to the customer service link at their web site. Total canned
                      response as expected.
                      Being that I live in Santa Cruz, I would expect to be WAY down on the
                      list of locations to be upgraded. However, I did speak to an AT&T
                      installer last summer who said that they were upgrading the
                      infrastructure down in Monterey to fiber. (Good for them, bad for
                      me.) Maybe someone can post a link or an e-mail addy to someone at
                      Comcast BESIDES the customer service site so we can express our
                      interests? I mean, how far is a request for HD going to get past a
                      customer service rep?

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Guillaume