Re: KPIX Digital Signal break-up

  • Mark Skovmand
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
      I am in the San Jose / Campbell area and have the
      same issues with KPIX. I called the station and received a
      return call from a fellow named Steve. He was polite and
      surprisingly open about their 29-1 transmission.

      They have had enough complaints to understand that
      there must be an issue on their end. Their tests are
      showing PCR errors in the data stream from their encoder.

      They are working with the equipment vendor(s) to see
      if the latest software updates might address the problem.
      Steve promised to get back to us Friday with an update.

      --Mark

      Ps: BTW, we now have good signal strength (77-94%) from
      all the stations. We put an additional UHF only antenna
      on the mast pointing towards Sacramento, it gets 61-2 (41%)
      and 12-1 and 12-2 (89%) off the back end.

      > Thanks Art.
      >
      > George
      >
      > > From: Art Courville <acourvil@b...>
      > > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:39:17 -0800
      > >
      > > I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to
      watch, but
      > > mostly
      > > it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of San
      Jose. I get
      > > most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem,
      except for
      > > 11/12.
      > > That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right
      near my house
      > > directly between my house and the station.
      > >
      > > Art
      > >
      > > George Graves wrote:
      > >
      > >> Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital
      signal has
      > >> deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer,
      with

      > >> Thanks
      > >>
      > >> George Graves
    • Mark Skovmand
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 13, 2001
        Our hats should be off to Steve at KPIX.

        Steve called back about 4:00 pm Friday as he
        said he would. But not for just a courtesy call.

        Steve had flown in a tech to review their equipment
        parameters and software, and had already located
        a few issues. They also needed a few of us to monitor
        their efforts from the outside. So, I called Tom Peterson
        to help as well.

        One of the best improvements came early. As best I
        understand it, 29-1, a possible 29-2, etc. are all
        transmitted as one feed. Within the data stream to us,
        each data packet is identified with a PID number, telling
        our receivers which channel the packet should be routed to.
        These PID numbers are configurable through parameter
        setting. One of which may have been sending incorrectly.

        Please excuse my ignorance if I have confused
        the facts. But, you may have noticed that by 8:00 pm,
        their feed was looking pretty good.

        Steve and his team are continuing today on other
        issues, combing the entire digital system, including the
        tower feed, etc.

        All in all, we should have great Oakland game feed
        for tomorrow's game and again for the Super Bowl.

        --Mark

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@egroups.com, "Mark Skovmand" <marks@c...> wrote:
        > I am in the San Jose / Campbell area and have the
        > same issues with KPIX. I called the station and received a
        > return call from a fellow named Steve. He was polite and
        > surprisingly open about their 29-1 transmission.
        >
        > They have had enough complaints to understand that
        > there must be an issue on their end. Their tests are
        > showing PCR errors in the data stream from their encoder.
        >
        > They are working with the equipment vendor(s) to see
        > if the latest software updates might address the problem.
        > Steve promised to get back to us Friday with an update.
        >
        > --Mark
        >
        > Ps: BTW, we now have good signal strength (77-94%) from
        > all the stations. We put an additional UHF only antenna
        > on the mast pointing towards Sacramento, it gets 61-2 (41%)
        > and 12-1 and 12-2 (89%) off the back end.
        >
        > > Thanks Art.
        > >
        > > George
        > >
        > > > From: Art Courville <acourvil@b...>
        > > > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:39:17 -0800
        > > >
        > > > I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to
        > watch, but
        > > > mostly
        > > > it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of
        San
        > Jose. I get
        > > > most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem,
        > except for
        > > > 11/12.
        > > > That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right
        > near my house
        > > > directly between my house and the station.
        > > >
        > > > Art

        > signal has
        > with

      • Chuck Fisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 13, 2001
          >Our hats should be off to Steve at KPIX.

          Sounds great! I can plan on a Super Bowl Part too!
          --
          Chuck Fisher
          E-mail: ursine1@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 14, 2001
            Well, I guess I am GLAD I missed the game, what a disaster, but I got
            to see James Bond tonight on CBS and it was CLEAN. As clean as before
            this whole problem started. Thanks for the support CBS, see you
            Superbowl Sunday.

            -Randy