Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KRON or KBHK Contacts?

  • Randy Spencer
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
      Wow, really? Why is the DVD so good (besides no commercials)? I don't have
      a progressive scan, but I do have a digital reality engine in my TV and
      watched the 480p version on Fox and it was GREAT, I thought...

      -Randy

      --- George Graves <gmgraves@...> wrote:
      > on 11/26/01 10:38 AM, Todd at todd_i@... wrote:
      >
      > As it was, Phantom Menace might have
      > been
      > in 480p, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the DVD (which, on
      > my
      > player is also 480p).

      =====
      ���`����,��,��
      Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
      Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • R8der
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
          To me the dvd definitely looked better. The sound difference alone makes
          the fox presentation unwatchable. I would have watched it had they
          broadcast it in the spring as originally planned, but with the dvd out it
          made the broadcast pointless. I hope fox got low ratings - someone should
          pay for their stupidity.

          > > Wow, really? Why is the DVD so good (besides no commercials)? I don't
          > have
          > > a progressive scan, but I do have a digital reality engine in my TV and
          > > watched the 480p version on Fox and it was GREAT, I thought...
          >
          > What is a digital reality engine?? Is that another word for a line
          doubler?
          > If so, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as a progressive scan
          DVD
          > player.
          >
          > Phantom is likely the best DVD transfer I've ever seen....thats why the
          DVD
          > (via a pro scan player) looks so damn good.
          >
          > Chris

        • David Hilliard
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
            "I hope fox got low ratings - someone should pay for
            their stupidity."

            Well, some people aren't fortunate enough to own $2K
            and up Home Theater systems. I think it's great that
            they showed it on TV this early. There are a lot of
            kids that probably were dying to see it but never got
            the chance due to many reasons.

            Dave

          • Shawn Westerhoff
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
              95% of homes that want a vcr one own a vcr and a tv...these people would
              have seen no difference between when it was released on home video and last
              night...at least fox could have tried to court some people who could have
              seen it truly presented as it never had been before. Instead, they waited
              six months and made their broadcast unnecessary to everyone: those with vcrs
              who would be interested would have already bought or rented the video; those
              with DVD players and digital tv's who could have seen it in 480p in March
              certainly wouldn't care now that they have a better version on DVD. The
              problem I have with Fox is that they advertised and promoted the Phantom
              Menace six months ago and pulled the plug at the last minute. If they truly
              wanted to "show it early" to benefit all those people who had never seen it
              they should have shown it then.

              > "I hope fox got low ratings - someone should pay for
              > their stupidity."
              >

              > Well, some people aren't fortunate enough to own $2K
              > and up Home Theater systems. I think it's great that
              > they showed it on TV this early. There are a lot of
              > kids that probably were dying to see it but never got
              > the chance due to many reasons.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > --- Shawn Westerhoff <swesterhoff@...> wrote:
              > > To me the dvd definitely looked better. The sound
              > > difference alone makes
              > > the fox presentation unwatchable. I would have
              > > watched it had they
              > > broadcast it in the spring as originally planned,
              > > but with the dvd out it
              > > made the broadcast pointless. I hope fox got low
              > > ratings - someone should
              > > pay for their stupidity.

            • Todd
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 26, 2001
                I agree with the previous post, it would have been much more
                interesting if the 480p version would have been shown before the DVD
                was available. I already own the DVD, so the commercial
                interruptions made the Fox broadcast undesirable compared to the DVD.

                As far as the quality, I have a progressive DVD player, and I
                thought the Fox broadcast was a bit better than the DVD (although I
                didn't think it looked as good as other Fox 480p material, like The X-
                Files).

                But, the difference between Fox & the DVD version was very small.. I
                don't think they were taking full advantage of the broadcast
                capabilities that offer two main advantages:

                - Higher bit rate. 19.4 Mbps DTV broadcast vs 3.75 for most DVD'd,
                ~7 for the new superbit DVD's.

                - True progressive, full frame 60fps. Easier to compress, no
                interlace/de-interlace process for progressive scan frames.

                Or, they could blow the DVD away by doing it in 720p or 1080i.

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "Shawn Westerhoff" <swesterhoff@h...>

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 27, 2001
                  Yes, line doubler, what info does a progressive-scan DVD have access to that
                  makes it's built in doubler better than the one built into Sony HDTVs and
                  monitors?

                  -Randy

                  > > Wow, really? Why is the DVD so good (besides no commercials)? I don't
                  > have
                  > > a progressive scan, but I do have a digital reality engine in my TV and
                  > > watched the 480p version on Fox and it was GREAT, I thought...
                  >
                  > What is a digital reality engine?? Is that another word for a line
                  > doubler?
                  > If so, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as a progressive scan
                  > DVD
                  > player.
                  >
                  > Phantom is likely the best DVD transfer I've ever seen....thats why the
                  > DVD
                  > (via a pro scan player) looks so damn good.
                  >
                  > Chris

                  =====
                  ���`����,��,��
                  Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
                  Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

                  http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                • Ted Matsumura
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 27, 2001
                    Randy,
                    A good progressive scan player can manipulate the data in digital mode,
                    based on algorithms involving motion acceleration, etc., where a line
                    doubler can only process in analog mode what it has already received from
                    the DVD player. It takes a lot of time and a wide variety of sets and
                    viewing material to notice differences with sets with good built-in line
                    doublers.

                    Yes, line doubler, what info does a progressive-scan DVD have access to that
                    makes it's built in doubler better than the one built into Sony HDTVs and
                    monitors?

                    -Randy

                    > > Wow, really? Why is the DVD so good (besides no commercials)? I don't
                    > have
                    > > a progressive scan, but I do have a digital reality engine in my TV and
                    > > watched the 480p version on Fox and it was GREAT, I thought...
                    >
                    > What is a digital reality engine?? Is that another word for a line
                    > doubler?
                    > If so, it's not going to be anywhere near as good as a progressive scan
                    > DVD
                    > player.
                    >
                    > Phantom is likely the best DVD transfer I've ever seen....thats why the
                    > DVD
                    > (via a pro scan player) looks so damn good.
                    >
                    > Chris

                    =====
                    $:0`0:$x,88,x$

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 27, 2001
                      I e-mailed one of the "Contact US" addresses on their WWW site, and
                      got a reply back from Jessica:

                      --------

                      Hello,

                      Our DTV is off due to a burn up of the transmission line on the tower.
                      This problem happened on Saturday (11/24/01) morning around 7am
                      during the
                      big storm that went through.
                      They are working on the problem but are not sure how long it will
                      take. It
                      will probably take about a week.

                      Thanks for taking the time to write.

                      Sincerely,