Jaggedness/Interlacing on 2.1 &7.1 and a Dish rant

  • Fricka T. Dog <schmeaux@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
      Greetings to the fellow early-adopters...

      Have a DISH 6000 STB getting OTA digital in San Francisco. Noticed a
      strange jagged/interlaced look to KTVU and KGO 7.1 on Friday night.
      Other OTA looked fine, including 7.2. Did anyone else notice this,
      and would this be a transmission error on the part of local broadcast
      technicians, or could my 8VSB module have been fried in its
      insistence of being on all the time? (The constant fan noise has to
      be one of the most moronic designs in the AV world.)

      And while I'm on the subject of the dish network: what is the reason
      that no other manufacturers are making equipment for dish? Is it
      simply greater customer base for directv? JVC just rebrands Hughes
      equipment for dish, while there are at least six companies with
      directv STB's.

      Dankeschoen und Gute Nacht.

      Schmeaux
    • Cynthia & Joe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
        Message
        I had the zipper effect when I first set up my receiver.  It was a result of my adjusting the centering of the picture.  Moving the center a bit took care of the problem.  I know KTVU was one of the stations the showed the problem.  It may that the change affects only 720p channels.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
          Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Jaggedness/Interlacing on 2.1 &7.1 and a Dish rant Here is how to adjust it:

          Press the Menu button on your remote.
          Hit ‘6’, system setup
          Then hit ‘1’, Installation
          Then hit ‘9’, HDTV setup
          Then select the ‘Adjust’ button on the screen, and hit ‘select’ on the remote.

          After that, use the arrow keys to adjust the center to get rid of the zipper effect.

          I actually have a question about the Dish 6000 as well.  When you watch CNBC, Channel 208, on the weekdays during stock trading, do you see the complete index’s when you stretch the picture using the set top box?  I don’t, however, if I stretch the image using the S-Video, it is okay.  I’m wondering if the problem is in the Dish 6000, or if it is in my television.

          -Jeff

          On 1/4/03 7:58 AM, "Cynthia & Joe" <meetthehubers@...> wrote:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705017563:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF.html>

        • Ted Matsumura
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
            Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Jaggedness/Interlacing on 2.1 &7.1 and a Dish rant
            I watch everything in HD mode on the dish 6000, regardless of the source.

            However, when having my set converged (a Panasonic 56" RPTV) I specifically used CNBC 208 and some other overscan sensitive sources to get them right in 720p and 1080i

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
              Thanks for your responses. Fixed the centering, and voila! Back to
              normal. Now I get to enjoy tonight's ABC playoff game in non-
              zippered, non-HD HDTV!

              Cheers.

              P.S.: Haven't tested the stock ticker on CNBC.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Sanders