HDTV in east bay

  • kevmcoleman@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2001
      I am wondering if anyone has successfully received HDtv signals in
      the east bay eg orinda or lafayette either from SF or Sacto. I am
      forever going to live in Std TV ?
    • brettking@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2001
        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., kevmcoleman@h... wrote:
        > I am wondering if anyone has successfully received HDtv signals in
        > the east bay eg orinda or lafayette either from SF or Sacto. I am
        > forever going to live in Std TV ?

        Likewise, I'm in Walnut Creek and would be interested in hearing from
        anyone who's successfully receiving HDTV signals. Seems like it's a
        hit-or-miss depending on where you are and what's blocking your line-
        of-sight.
      • Tom Lewis
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., brettking@y... wrote:
          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., kevmcoleman@h... wrote:
          > > I am wondering if anyone has successfully received HDtv signals in
          > > the east bay eg orinda or lafayette either from SF or Sacto. I am
          > > forever going to live in Std TV ?
          >
          > Likewise, I'm in Walnut Creek and would be interested in hearing
          from
          > anyone who's successfully receiving HDTV signals. Seems like it's a
          > hit-or-miss depending on where you are and what's blocking your
          line-
          > of-sight.

          I am in San Ramon and have a CM 4248 about 10' above the roof line
          with a rotor. I was able to get stations from both Sutro Tower as
          well Sacratomato when I borrowed a prototype Zenith STB. I have been
          waiting for that box to become available (should be a Zenith
          distribution center around 10/15), but I just was laid-off my job, and
          so will be waiting a bit.

          Check the link below for some more detail:

          http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=9b03a09afe35cce1ce1ebe
          f41b5d65c1&threadid=27599

          Tom
        • R8der
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
            I was the guy that loaned Tom the Zenith prototype. I still have it,
            and would be willing to let those of you trying to determine your signal
            reception capabilities borrow it for a few days.

            You don't even need a HDTV to see if you can get the signals. You can
            test it with a computer monitor.

            You will need to have an antenna hooked up first though. I suggest the
            same anteanna Tom had...the CM4248 which will cost you about $50
            shipped. I have it out in Livermore and it's performance is excellent
            (coupled with the CM 7775 preamp).

            If you want to look into borrowing the prototype, send me a private
            e-mail. I need it on Friday's for a test I'm doing with PBS...but I'm
            willing to let somebody borrow it the rest of the week.

            Chris
          • Thomas Funk
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
              >I am in San Ramon and have a CM 4248 about 10' above the roof line
              >with a rotor. I was able to get stations from both Sutro Tower as

              Interesting! I also live in San Ramon, but was unsuccessful early this year
              with a Radio Shack antenna and the RCA box.

              I might just have to try again :)

              Tom
            • kevmcoleman@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
                I might be interested. I thought that HD OTA signals were line of
                site and there is no way I can see sutro tower at my house in orinda.
                I live directly on the other side of the berkeley hills. Titan TV
                says I can get only signals from Sacto. Do any of you know how
                accurate that is. IF you can get signals from san ramon, I am
                encouraged to at least try

                kC

              • TROY_MCKASKLE@PEOPLESOFT.COM
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001

                  What area of San Ramon are you folks in?  I'm at the top of Bollinger Canyon (east side) and can't pick up anything but Channel 36 out of San Jose using a bowtie antenna and an RCA box.  HOA frowns on external antennas, and I'm not ready to go that route quite yet.  If I do put something up, it will have to be almost invisible.  Any suggestions?

                  I'd really like to pull in some of the NBC primetime in HD.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
                    The problem you may have had was an inadequate antenna.  The CM4248 is the antenna of choice for our area here in the East Bay.  You will also need a preamp to boost the signal to a level it can be readily received.  The preamp of choice is the CM7777 or CM7775 (UHF only).

                    There is no NBC primetime HD.  NBC only shows Leno in HD.  They are the worst network of them all.

                    Chris
                    What area of San Ramon are you folks in?  I'm at the top of Bollinger Canyon (east side) and can't pick up anything but Channel 36 out of San Jose using a bowtie antenna and an RCA box.  HOA frowns on external antennas, and I'm not ready to go that route quite yet.  If I do put something up, it will have to be almost invisible.  Any suggestions?

                    I'd really like to pull in some of the NBC primetime in HD.
                  • Randy Spencer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Isn't Crossing Jordan in HD?

                      -Randy

                      --- R8der <r8der@...> wrote:
                      > There is no NBC primetime HD. NBC only shows Leno in HD. They are the
                      > worst network of them all.

                      =====
                      ���`����,��,��
                      Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)
                      Citris Insight #5427 510 748-0463

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • Thomas Funk
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2001
                        What area of San Ramon are you folks in?  I'm at the top of Bollinger Canyon (east side) and can't pick up anything but Channel 36 out of San Jose using a bowtie antenna and an RCA box.  HOA frowns on external antennas, and I'm not ready to go that route quite yet.  If I do put something up, it will have to be almost invisible.  Any suggestions?
                        I'm at the cross of Bollinger and Crow Canyon.

                        I haven't tried getting the antenna up high above my roof, but I have a hill in my backyard that goes as high as my roof, and I lugged it up there, but no luck.

                        Tom

                      • Tom Lewis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Thomas Funk <grue@p...> wrote:

                          > >I am in San Ramon and have a CM 4248 about 10' above the roof line
                          > >with a rotor. I was able to get stations from both Sutro Tower as
                          >
                          > Interesting! I also live in San Ramon, but was unsuccessful early
                          this year
                          > with a Radio Shack antenna and the RCA box.
                          >
                          > I might just have to try again :)
                          >
                          > Tom

                          Tom, check r8der's (Chris') post. Perhaps he can help you. Email me
                          if you want to see my installation, but note that I cannot show you
                          HDTV as I still have no STB.

                          Tom
                        • Tom Lewis
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., kevmcoleman@h... wrote:
                            > I might be interested. I thought that HD OTA signals were line of
                            > site and there is no way I can see sutro tower at my house in
                            orinda.
                            > I live directly on the other side of the berkeley hills. Titan TV
                            > says I can get only signals from Sacto. Do any of you know how
                            > accurate that is. IF you can get signals from san ramon, I am
                            > encouraged to at least try
                            >
                            > kC
                            >

                            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., R8der <r8der@p...> wrote:
                            > > I was the guy that loaned Tom the Zenith prototype. I still have
                            > it,
                            > > and would be willing to let those of you trying to determine your
                            > signal
                            > > reception capabilities borrow it for a few days.
                            > >
                            > > You don't even need a HDTV to see if you can get the signals. You
                            > can
                            > > test it with a computer monitor.
                            > >
                            > > You will need to have an antenna hooked up first though. I
                            suggest
                            > the
                            > > same anteanna Tom had...the CM4248 which will cost you about $50
                            > > shipped. I have it out in Livermore and it's performance is
                            > excellent
                            > > (coupled with the CM 7775 preamp).
                            > >
                            > > If you want to look into borrowing the prototype, send me a
                            private
                            > > e-mail. I need it on Friday's for a test I'm doing with PBS...but
                            > I'm
                            > > willing to let somebody borrow it the rest of the week.
                            > >
                            > > Chris

                            Chris,

                            Thanks for chiming in. And note that I also used the CM7775 (on
                            recommendation from Chris and others.) I was really surprised
                            about what I could get, considering the fact that Rocky Ridge is
                            directly between be and Sutro. BTY, here is the corrected link:

                            http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27599

                            Chris, I guess this is my opportunity to thank you publicly:

                            THANKS!!

                            Tom
                          • Tom Lewis
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Thomas Funk <grue@p...> wrote:

                              > >What area of San Ramon are you folks in? I'm at the top of
                              Bollinger
                              > >Canyon (east side) and can't pick up anything but Channel 36 out of
                              San
                              > >Jose using a bowtie antenna and an RCA box. HOA frowns on external
                              > >antennas, and I'm not ready to go that route quite yet. If I do
                              put
                              > >something up, it will have to be almost invisible. Any
                              suggestions?
                              > I'm at the cross of Bollinger and Crow Canyon.
                              >
                              > I haven't tried getting the antenna up high above my roof, but I
                              have a
                              > hill in my backyard that goes as high as my roof, and I lugged it up
                              there,
                              > but no luck.
                              >
                              > Tom

                              This is Tom Lewis; I am nead the intersection of Bollinger Canyon Road
                              and Marsh (west side of 680.) Email me if you want to see the
                              installation (but note that I have no STB.) Vacation starting 11/16
                              for about 10 days. I sent a letter to my HOA before starting the
                              installation to notify. for some stange reeson, they still have a
                              bylaw stipulating that homeowners need to notify them with the
                              intention on installing the antenna. Let me know if you want a couy;
                              it worked for me; they never even called me or replied and I am the
                              only one in the neighborhood (that I know of) with an antenna.
                            • Thomas Funk
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                                At 05:51 PM 11/6/01 +0000, you wrote:
                                >I am in San Ramon and have a CM 4248 about 10' above the roof line
                                >with a rotor. I was able to get stations from both Sutro Tower as
                                >well Sacratomato when I borrowed a prototype Zenith STB. I have been

                                Hi Tom. Did you do the antenna and rotor install yourself?

                                Tom
                              • R8der
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001

                                  Chris,

                                  Thanks for chiming in.  And note that I also used the CM7775 (on
                                  recommendation from Chris and others.)  I was really surprised
                                  about what I could get, considering the fact that Rocky Ridge is
                                  directly between be and Sutro.  BTY, here is the corrected link:

                                  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27599

                                  Chris, I guess this is my opportunity to thank you publicly:

                                  THANKS!!

                                  Hey Tom,

                                  You are most welcome.  I only wish I could have let you keep it longer based on you not having an STB yet.  You might want to just consider the Hipix if you can deal with OTA only.  The recording functionality is so nice to have.

                                  For the rest of you looking for a signal but without an STB, just let me know if you want to borrow the unit.  I should have it for another few months it appears.  As I said before, I only need it on Friday evenings.  If somebody swings out to Livermore on a Saturday you can keep it until the next Friday early evening.

                                  On the antenna deal, the CM4248 is a very lightweight antenna and is fairly non-obtrusive.  You could easily mount this in an attic (not suggested if you are in a weak signal area though) or on an eave.  A rotor and a preamp, at least in the East Bay behind the hills, are required.  On at least one station, a one degree shift of the antenna with the rotor means the difference between getting a signal and not getting it (channel 45 reflecting off Mount Diablo).  The overall investment we are talking about here is right around $200.

                                  One nice thing...if you tried receiving a signal maybe 6 months ago but couldn't....the stations have improved their signal transmission somewhat.  Last year I used to get a lot of dropouts on some stations and those seem to have cleared up for the most part.  Remember that several stations from Sutro aren't operating at full power, and it will be a number of years before the HD transmitters are moved to the top of Sutro where the current NTSC transmitters are.  When the NTSC junk comes down, the HD stuff will be moving up another couple of hundred feet.

                                  Chris

                                • Tom Lewis
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Thomas Funk <grue@p...> wrote:
                                    > At 05:51 PM 11/6/01 +0000, you wrote:
                                    > >I am in San Ramon and have a CM 4248 about 10' above the roof line
                                    > >with a rotor. I was able to get stations from both Sutro Tower as
                                    > >well Sacratomato when I borrowed a prototype Zenith STB. I have
                                    been

                                    > Hi Tom. Did you do the antenna and rotor install yourself?
                                    >
                                    > Tom

                                    Yes. Also, Chris (r8der) and another friend helped. First I mounted
                                    the 4248 and rotor on a channel master tripod and hauled it up onto
                                    the roof. I moved it around across the roofline and rotated to find
                                    the best location. Fortunately, it turned out that the location I
                                    preferred from an installation ease point of view (and to reduce its
                                    view from the street) was about as good as any other location. Then I
                                    moved it to a CM mount that fixes the mast to the V at the edge of the
                                    roof. I got a thicker CM mast from that distributor in San Jose
                                    because the original one I had was not stiff enough for my taste.

                                    I would loan you the tripod if I had not used it for permanently
                                    mounting an FM antenna.

                                    Let me know if you want advise on your particular situation. Or, let
                                    me know if you want me to email you pics I took, or if you want to
                                    come by to see the antenna.

                                    Well, off to watch Star Trek in analog from my underutilized CM
                                    4248...

                                    Tom
                                  • R8der
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 7, 2001
                                      > Well, off to watch Star Trek in analog from my underutilized CM
                                      > 4248...

                                      If its any consolation Tom, I can't get Digital 45 for whatever reason with
                                      the 4248 (the one channel that came in better with the huge 4251), so have
                                      to watch it in analog as well. Sigh. It's not that big a deal
                                      though....its not in HD anyways, and the 4248 brings the analog UHF in very
                                      well (which makes me very curious about the digital).

                                      Chris