KPIX Digital Signal break-up

  • George Graves
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
      Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital signal has
      deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer, with
      pixalization breakups of the picture every few seconds. Then in September,
      they installed some new equipment, and were perfect until around
      Thanksgiving, then I started to notice a break-up occasionally. Now, it
      seems to have deteriorated to the point where its ALMOST as bad as it was
      last summer (but not quite) with picture break-ups every couple of minutes,
      sometimes coming in clusters of three or four at once. I will be calling
      their engineering manager about this but I'd like a little ammunition first.
      If subscribers to this group could tell me how your KPIX digital (Ch 29)
      reception is, I'd appreciate it.

      Thanks

      George Graves
    • Art Courville
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
        I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to watch, but mostly
        it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of San Jose. I get
        most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem, except for 11/12.
        That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right near my house
        directly between my house and the station.

        Art

        George Graves wrote:

        > Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital signal has
        > deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer, with
        > pixalization breakups of the picture every few seconds. Then in September,
        > they installed some new equipment, and were perfect until around
        > Thanksgiving, then I started to notice a break-up occasionally. Now, it
        > seems to have deteriorated to the point where its ALMOST as bad as it was
        > last summer (but not quite) with picture break-ups every couple of minutes,
        > sometimes coming in clusters of three or four at once. I will be calling
        > their engineering manager about this but I'd like a little ammunition first.
        > If subscribers to this group could tell me how your KPIX digital (Ch 29)
        > reception is, I'd appreciate it.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > George Graves

      • Randy Spencer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
          It has been good, but a week ago I noticed I was getting lots of breakups,
          and then this last weekend I tried to watch the Playoffs and had to keep
          resetting my receiver. I thought my 6000 was going, but I then watched
          X-Files, Ally, and Dark Angel with NOT ONE PROBLEM. Of course that isn't
          HD, but it is 480p Wide, and I watch Leno with no problems. So I can jump
          on the "What's wrong with KPIX" bandwagon.

          -Randy

          --- George Graves <gmgraves@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital signal has
          > deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer, with
          > pixalization breakups of the picture every few seconds. Then in September,
          > they installed some new equipment, and were perfect until around
          > Thanksgiving, then I started to notice a break-up occasionally. Now, it
          > seems to have deteriorated to the point where its ALMOST as bad as it was
          > last summer (but not quite) with picture break-ups every couple of
          > minutes,
          > sometimes coming in clusters of three or four at once. I will be calling
          > their engineering manager about this but I'd like a little ammunition
          > first.
          > If subscribers to this group could tell me how your KPIX digital (Ch 29)
          > reception is, I'd appreciate it.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > George Graves

          =====
          Randy Spencer (http://radiolink.net/spencer) 510 523-2300 x140

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • George Graves
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
            Thanks Randy. Where do you live (for ammunition)?

            George

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2001
              Thanks Art.

              George

              > From: Art Courville <acourvil@...>
              > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:39:17 -0800
              > To: HDTV-in-SFbay@egroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] KPIX Digital Signal break-up
              >
              > I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to watch, but
              > mostly
              > it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of San Jose. I get
              > most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem, except for
              > 11/12.
              > That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right near my house
              > directly between my house and the station.
              >
              > Art
              >
              > George Graves wrote:
              >
              >> Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital signal has
              >> deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer, with
              >> pixalization breakups of the picture every few seconds. Then in September,
              >> they installed some new equipment, and were perfect until around
              >> Thanksgiving, then I started to notice a break-up occasionally. Now, it
              >> seems to have deteriorated to the point where its ALMOST as bad as it was
              >> last summer (but not quite) with picture break-ups every couple of minutes,
              >> sometimes coming in clusters of three or four at once. I will be calling
              >> their engineering manager about this but I'd like a little ammunition first.
              >> If subscribers to this group could tell me how your KPIX digital (Ch 29)
              >> reception is, I'd appreciate it.
              >>
              >> Thanks
              >>
              >> George Graves

            • Mark Skovmand
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2001
                I am in the San Jose / Campbell area and have the
                same issues with KPIX. I called the station and received a
                return call from a fellow named Steve. He was polite and
                surprisingly open about their 29-1 transmission.

                They have had enough complaints to understand that
                there must be an issue on their end. Their tests are
                showing PCR errors in the data stream from their encoder.

                They are working with the equipment vendor(s) to see
                if the latest software updates might address the problem.
                Steve promised to get back to us Friday with an update.

                --Mark

                Ps: BTW, we now have good signal strength (77-94%) from
                all the stations. We put an additional UHF only antenna
                on the mast pointing towards Sacramento, it gets 61-2 (41%)
                and 12-1 and 12-2 (89%) off the back end.

                > Thanks Art.
                >
                > George
                >
                > > From: Art Courville <acourvil@b...>
                > > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:39:17 -0800
                > >
                > > I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to
                watch, but
                > > mostly
                > > it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of San
                Jose. I get
                > > most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem,
                except for
                > > 11/12.
                > > That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right
                near my house
                > > directly between my house and the station.
                > >
                > > Art
                > >
                > > George Graves wrote:
                > >
                > >> Has anyone else (other than me) noticed that KPIX's digital
                signal has
                > >> deteriorated again? They were virtually unmatchable all summer,
                with

                > >> Thanks
                > >>
                > >> George Graves
              • Mark Skovmand
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2001
                  Our hats should be off to Steve at KPIX.

                  Steve called back about 4:00 pm Friday as he
                  said he would. But not for just a courtesy call.

                  Steve had flown in a tech to review their equipment
                  parameters and software, and had already located
                  a few issues. They also needed a few of us to monitor
                  their efforts from the outside. So, I called Tom Peterson
                  to help as well.

                  One of the best improvements came early. As best I
                  understand it, 29-1, a possible 29-2, etc. are all
                  transmitted as one feed. Within the data stream to us,
                  each data packet is identified with a PID number, telling
                  our receivers which channel the packet should be routed to.
                  These PID numbers are configurable through parameter
                  setting. One of which may have been sending incorrectly.

                  Please excuse my ignorance if I have confused
                  the facts. But, you may have noticed that by 8:00 pm,
                  their feed was looking pretty good.

                  Steve and his team are continuing today on other
                  issues, combing the entire digital system, including the
                  tower feed, etc.

                  All in all, we should have great Oakland game feed
                  for tomorrow's game and again for the Super Bowl.

                  --Mark

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@egroups.com, "Mark Skovmand" <marks@c...> wrote:
                  > I am in the San Jose / Campbell area and have the
                  > same issues with KPIX. I called the station and received a
                  > return call from a fellow named Steve. He was polite and
                  > surprisingly open about their 29-1 transmission.
                  >
                  > They have had enough complaints to understand that
                  > there must be an issue on their end. Their tests are
                  > showing PCR errors in the data stream from their encoder.
                  >
                  > They are working with the equipment vendor(s) to see
                  > if the latest software updates might address the problem.
                  > Steve promised to get back to us Friday with an update.
                  >
                  > --Mark
                  >
                  > Ps: BTW, we now have good signal strength (77-94%) from
                  > all the stations. We put an additional UHF only antenna
                  > on the mast pointing towards Sacramento, it gets 61-2 (41%)
                  > and 12-1 and 12-2 (89%) off the back end.
                  >
                  > > Thanks Art.
                  > >
                  > > George
                  > >
                  > > > From: Art Courville <acourvil@b...>
                  > > > Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:39:17 -0800
                  > > >
                  > > > I've had few days where I can get KPIX digital well enough to
                  > watch, but
                  > > > mostly
                  > > > it breaks up continuously. I'm in the Almaden Valley area of
                  San
                  > Jose. I get
                  > > > most of the other digital stations in the area w/o a problem,
                  > except for
                  > > > 11/12.
                  > > > That's actually the closest to me, but there is a big hill right
                  > near my house
                  > > > directly between my house and the station.
                  > > >
                  > > > Art

                  > signal has
                  > with

                • Chuck Fisher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 13, 2001
                    >Our hats should be off to Steve at KPIX.

                    Sounds great! I can plan on a Super Bowl Part too!
                    --
                    Chuck Fisher
                    E-mail: ursine1@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 14, 2001
                      Well, I guess I am GLAD I missed the game, what a disaster, but I got
                      to see James Bond tonight on CBS and it was CLEAN. As clean as before
                      this whole problem started. Thanks for the support CBS, see you
                      Superbowl Sunday.

                      -Randy