CM4228 and CM7777

  • acourvil@bayarea.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2001
      A while back, I got a Channelmaster 4228 (8 bowtie) and 7777 pre-amp
      and promised the list an update when I installed them. I installed
      them this weekend, so here goes.

      This setup replaced an old VHF/UHF antenna. I don't know the model
      number, but it was about 8 or 9 feet long and looked like a pretty
      standard configuration, mounted 20-25' from the peak of the roof.

      I mounted the 4228 on a 15' pole from the chmney, so it ends up maybe
      5-10' from the roof peak. Without the pre-amp, it perfomrs atleast
      as
      well as the old antenna, maybe slightly better on the 2 stations that
      I had the weakest signal on. With the pre-amp, it is noticably
      better
      on those channels. Measured on a DTC-100, the pre-amp seems to add
      2-4 points to the signal strength on the weaker channels.

      The thing that surprised me the most is that I found a single
      position
      that seems to give good results for all channels. I had anticipated
      that I would need to use the rotor to tune in channel 36 (digital
      52),
      since it is not located on Sutro; in my initial tests, I also saw
      that
      some of the stations on Sutro seemed to get picked up better from
      different headings (I'm in a hilly area, w/o a direct line of sight).
      But I'm able to get all of the Sutro channels and a strong signal on
      36 with the antenna in a single position. With the old antenna, I
      could not get a reliable lock on 36 and it was not watchable. I also
      get a better signal from 44/45; although I could get that most of the
      time with the old antenna, it sometimes would not lock and generally
      had a signal in the 40s. Last night, I had solid lock and the signal
      was in the mid 70s.